New York (again)

Maybe if de Blasio had not allowed the rioting and looting to continue with stand-down orders, and then compounded the problem with a "defund the police" mantra that allowed more lawlessness, while having a spectacular catch and release program going, people would not be fleeing the city?

Looks like the state has figured out they are broke, too, and will not be riding to the rescue.

What an absolute shame this is happening to NYC. I spent a lot of time there when I dated Hubby, and it was safe, fun, and interesting. Now? I am not sad we had to cancel our time there this fall.

De Blasio: Threat of 22,000 layoffs is 'painfully real'

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said the city is moving forward with “painfully real” plans to lay off 22,000 public workers on Oct. 1 unless another source of cash comes through.

De Blasio confirmed the layoff plans are progressing after POLITICO first reported Tuesday that agencies have been ordered to come up with a list of employees being considered for job cuts by the end of next week.

</snip>

De Blasio has been hoping for a multi-billion dollar federal aid package to bail out the city after the coronavirus pandemic decimated its bottom line. But he acknowledged Wednesday that “appears to be dead now.”

The mayor has also asked state legislators for authority to borrow money to pay expenses, but Albany lawmakers have so far balked.

</snip>

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IDBillzFan said:

Damn you, Trump. First you destroyed Seattle, then Portland, then Baltimore, then SFO and now NYC! 

SAD!

Yup! It was Trump who set all those fires and looted all those store. How the hell do you think he got rich? It couldn't have been through honest means we know because the lamestream news has told us so!

The criticism here of DeBlasio is just plain unfair! Didn't he do his best when he ordered a curfew in NYC in order to quell rioting and looting? Just because he set the curfew at 11:00 pm when the rioting typically commenced at 9:00 pm doesn't mean he didn't try. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

De Blasio: Threat of 22,000 layoffs is 'painfully real'

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said the city is moving forward with “painfully real” plans to lay off 22,000 public workers on Oct. 1 unless another source of cash comes through.

De Blasio confirmed the layoff plans are progressing after POLITICO first reported Tuesday that agencies have been ordered to come up with a list of employees being considered for job cuts by the end of next week.

Bloated City Government services being cut back!?!?  The horror!!!!!

Maybe his wife can find the $850million dollars she squandered / can't / won't account for with the NYC mental health program she ran.

10 hours ago, snafu said:

Bloated City Government services being cut back!?!?  The horror!!!!!

Maybe his wife can find the $850million dollars she squandered / can't / won't account for with the NYC mental health program she ran.

I'm guessing no one on his wife's "staff" is on the chopping block.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I saw this last night and remain particularly curious how NYC will react to this. It's clear the excuse is ridiculous, but is it possible the residents of NYC simply don't care about 9/11 anymore? There was no outrage when they chose to cancel the annual reading of the names (thought a private group has taken that on), so I suspect "Never Forget" has been forgotten.

1 hour ago, IDBillzFan said:

I saw this last night and remain particularly curious how NYC will react to this. It's clear the excuse is ridiculous, but is it possible the residents of NYC simply don't care about 9/11 anymore? There was no outrage when they chose to cancel the annual reading of the names (thought a private group has taken that on), so I suspect "Never Forget" has been forgotten.

There's a change . org petition to overrule the decision. A very anti-trump NYC based friend of mine linked it earlier on social media with the commentary 'this is inexcusable, this is bull####'

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

What was it, 24 cops for three shifts of watching already dried paint get weathered? 

Something like that, including sergeants to supervise the protection of the mural.

5 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

Right now a good portion of NYC is on the side of the terrorist, they both believe America is evil and racist, that it needs to be brought down, and violence is acceptable.