The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Simple people like to think that just because some country has success at something, it automatically means it can be reproduced in the US. 

No *****.  Try to find a real good croissant here in the States.  ;) 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

In New Zealand they're practically locked-in their houses.  They can't have anyone come over and they can't go out doing things like fishing in case they have an accident and emergency services need to be called.  Good luck doing that here.

That’s false. 

NZ currently requires face masks on public transportation and domestic air travel only. 

No other restrictions except for people trying to fly into NZ. 

The only place as open as New Zealand is Miami. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

That’s false. 

NZ currently requires face masks on public transportation and domestic air travel only. 

No other restrictions except for people trying to fly into NZ. 

The only place as open as New Zealand is Miami. 

Maybe currently.  For at least 6 months from the start of the pandemic, what I described was what was happening.

Yep.

No kids.  

Probably no spouse.  

So most everyone under 30-35 yo.

Those under 30-35 with kids, those kids are probably all under 5, so work from home, no day care costs.  Can't really go out much bc your kids are 4 and 2 years old anyway.  

They aren't old enough to start cutting themselves due to severe depression brought on by mitigation for life.  Roughly around 12-15 years old.  Not old enough to see the daily suffering on their faces.  Stick an X Box in front of them they'll all be fine.  

11 hours ago, Doc said:

Maybe currently.  For at least 6 months from the start of the pandemic, what I described was what was happening.

Not "maybe" currently. Yes, currently.

You wrote your comment in present tense. You were wrong. Easy enough to admit. 

I no longer live in NY state so I’m removed from the local media but can someone tell me the reasoning for the recent surge in Covid case reporting? While the numbers across the rest of the nation are drastically spiraling downward NY state is headed in the opposite direction. For example, Monday they reported cases SIX times higher than what we’re reporting in California or the other large population states. 

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I no longer live in NY state so I’m removed from the local media but can someone tell me the reasoning for the recent surge in Covid case reporting? While the numbers across the rest of the nation are drastically spiraling downward NY state is headed in the opposite direction. For example, Monday they reported cases SIX times higher than what we’re reporting in California or the other large population states. 

Daily status     

1. COVID hospitalizations dropped to 4,470. Of the 152,328 tests reported yesterday, 6,361, or 4.18 percent, were positive. The 7-day average percent positivity is 3.29 percent. There were 885 patients in ICU yesterday, down 5 from the previous day. Of them, 576 are intubated. Sadly, we lost 46 New Yorkers to the virus. 

By county

https://forward.ny.gov/percentage-positive-results-county-dashboard

55 minutes ago, ALF said:

Daily status     

1. COVID hospitalizations dropped to 4,470. Of the 152,328 tests reported yesterday, 6,361, or 4.18 percent, were positive. The 7-day average percent positivity is 3.29 percent. There were 885 patients in ICU yesterday, down 5 from the previous day. Of them, 576 are intubated. Sadly, we lost 46 New Yorkers to the virus. 

By county

https://forward.ny.gov/percentage-positive-results-county-dashboard

Thanks Alf

But I’m not sure that answered my question. Why is NY seeing way more new cases right now than other large states? 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thanks Alf

But I’m not sure that answered my question. Why is NY seeing way more new cases right now than other large states? 

All they say is massive testing leads to more new cases being found for NY

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

This is definetly my speculation:

1. Vaccinated employees who are required to test on a consistent basis are creating a slew of false positives;

2. More PCR cycling shenanigans.  It's odd to me that the increases are in states that do not require labs to publish the cycle revolution on your test.  

3.  Conspiracy theory:  The media and .gov know #1 is the likely cause but drumming up a little drama to goose the vaccination rates.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ALF said:

All they say is massive testing leads to more new cases being found for NY

Thanks.  It is odd. During the same period, the California Governor recall effort reached the signature level to put it on the ballot, and just as suddenly the restaurants and schools re-opened.  I really don't want this to be political but something seems a bit squirrely here.

• Like (+1) 1

So I’ll try this again now with the generally more accurate midweek reporting. If you look deeper into the numbers you’ll find the highest new case counts are in and around the NYC Metro area, meaning this also includes NJ and parts of PA. What gives? The case count there is as much as 600% that of other large population states. What’s changed (conditions on the ground) in and around NYC?

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

So I’ll try this again now with the generally more accurate midweek reporting. If you look deeper into the numbers you’ll find the highest new case counts are in and around the NYC Metro area, meaning this also includes NJ and parts of PA. What gives? The case count there is as much as 600% that of other large population states. What’s changed (conditions on the ground) in and around NYC?

Here is the problem.

When are there NEVER going to be 1000s of cases in the NYC area? 

And since the answer is never, and our baseline for control I mean mitigation are basically the numbers you see everywhere, when exactly are we going to be done with the CDC running the country into the ground with indefinite unjustifiable soul crushing (especially to the kids they are ruining) 6 feet apart "recommendations?"     

5 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Here is the problem.

When are there NEVER going to be 1000s of cases in the NYC area? 

And since the answer is never, and our baseline for control I mean mitigation are basically the numbers you see everywhere, when exactly are we going to be done with the CDC running the country into the ground with indefinite unjustifiable soul crushing (especially to the kids they are ruining) 6 feet apart "recommendations?"     

Not really.  The numbers were much lower in the NYC over the past few months.  They've seen a spike recently, especially when compared to other areas that have been trending down, big time.  But...instead we get the media yelling at maskless states like Florida during Spring Break.  My original question was a really simple one. I don't live on the East Coast anymore.  Have people seen a change in behavior or regulations there? What's changed? It's the same question I asked in California when we had a spike a few months back, and yet no regulations had changed, and I could see zero difference in the way people were acting.

Edited by SoCal Deek