The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

Something everyone involved in this thread might be interested in: a free copy of How to Lie with Statistics.

Pertinent review:

'How to Lie with Statistics' is a book written by Darrell Huff in 1954 presenting an introduction to statistics for the general reader. Huff was a journalist who wrote many "how to" articles as a freelancer, but was not, himself, a statistician.

From the book: "This book IS a sort of primer in ways to use statistics to deceive. It may seem altogether too much like a manual for swindlers. Perhaps I can justify it in the manner of the retired burglar whose published reminiscences amounted to a graduate course in how to pick a lock and muffle a footfall: The crooks already know these tricks; honest men must learn them in self·defense."

Even though this book is almost 65 years old, it remains as relevant today, if not more so, than when it was first published. if only to shed some light on how even your favorite news channel uses true facts and figures to bull#### you every day.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GG said:

My results were available within 6 hrs, btw.  Negative, alas.

I had the same reaction to my negative result. 

I want my Covid dang it. 

In European countries, cases have dropped, deaths have followed. Here, we can see that happened too. Whether we will have cases rise and deaths drop or level remains to be seen. That would be a great result through!

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Something everyone involved in this thread might be interested in: a free copy of How to Lie with Statistics.

Pertinent review:

'How to Lie with Statistics' is a book written by Darrell Huff in 1954 presenting an introduction to statistics for the general reader. Huff was a journalist who wrote many "how to" articles as a freelancer, but was not, himself, a statistician.

From the book: "This book IS a sort of primer in ways to use statistics to deceive. It may seem altogether too much like a manual for swindlers. Perhaps I can justify it in the manner of the retired burglar whose published reminiscences amounted to a graduate course in how to pick a lock and muffle a footfall: The crooks already know these tricks; honest men must learn them in self·defense."

Even though this book is almost 65 years old, it remains as relevant today, if not more so, than when it was first published. if only to shed some light on how even your favorite news channel uses true facts and figures to bull#### you every day.

I read it last year. It's a bit of a dated book--anyone who finds its argument surprising isn't much of a discerning reader. 

Edited by shoshin

31 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Finally got my antibody test done, should have the results this week. Guy who drew the blood was from Glens Falls. He's going to come to the Bills Backers bar this fall lol

Good luck. Hubby has his blood work done Friday, and the results were already in. He was negative, so I do not think I am going to bother.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, shoshin said:

It’s not possible for the sewage to leak into every thread is it?

Set all the polluters on ignore.  We should all do it and the quality of content would great improve.

• Like (+1) 3

26 minutes ago, GG said:

Polluters must pollute.  It's what they do.

The intellectual standard bearer of the alt wrong has spoken.  

4 minutes ago, meazza said:

Set all the polluters on ignore.  We should all do it and the quality of content would great improve.

Can you self-block?  If you blocked yourself, then the quality of content would greatly (not just great) improve.  

Edited by SectionC3

Just now, meazza said:

That's an invitation for an echo chamber. But the amount of professional trolling and volume-pasting is painful, especially since we're all neighbors. 

Just now, shoshin said:

That's an invitation for an echo chamber. But the amount of professional trolling and volume-pasting is painful, especially since we're all neighbors. 

I'm not talking about ignoring conflicting viewpoints, I'm talking about ignoring trolls that literally post nothing of substance.

And I'm not simply talking about left wing, I have quite a few people on ignore.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Pertinent review:

Many a lecture in my Intro Stats course at college contained discussion as to how people use stats to deceive others.  The only class in college where cheating on exams was dealt with out in the open by tearing up tests.  

21 minutes ago, shoshin said:

There is a vast difference between different viewpoint discussions and trollish poo-flinging, however. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GG said:

My results were available within 6 hrs, btw.  Negative, alas.

Saliva or blood? Docs said the lab they use isn't their normal one, but has a higher success rate for the covid tests and projected 3 to 5 days for the full results. I guess we'll see ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Good luck. Hubby has his blood work done Friday, and the results were already in. He was negative, so I do not think I am going to bother.

thanks! Hoping for some peace of mind as I begin to hang out with friends again. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Saliva or blood? Docs said the lab they use isn't their normal one, but has a higher success rate for the covid tests and projected 3 to 5 days for the full results. I guess we'll see ?‍♂️

it was the Abbott blood test

• Like (+1) 2