The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

11 minutes ago, Kemp said:

As Cuomo recently pointed out, the Blue states tend to pay the federal government every year, while the Red states tend to take money from the federal government every year. The Blue states keep the red states afloat.

When there is a natural disaster in Red states, the Blue states never vote against sending them aid. When NY gets hit, McConnell doesn't think they should be helped.

Now, who hasn't been following along?

So, do you suggest reducing the federal taxes of the Wall Street mega earners to alleviate this disparity?

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

Don't worry. The poor still don't pay.

Flat Fair tax is the only way. 

FIFY

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Don't worry. The poor still don't pay.

Flat tax is the only way. 

The poor  pay sales tax..

The rich don't pay.

Corporations don't pay.

The middle class continues to shrink.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, do you suggest reducing the federal taxes of the Wall Street mega earners to alleviate this disparity?

FIFY

What I'm suggesting is that if certain states always fiscally support other certain states, don't serve me the manure that the government is being too kind to the former, as McConnell and his party mates have suggested. .

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

No. Flat tax. Everyone pays the same percentage on all forms of income.

Fair Tax, which is nothing more than a national sales tax. The more you spend, the more you pay. It needs a rock solid provision that it will never turn into a Value Added Tax.

10 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Glad to hear that you believe everyone should pay their fair share, so why do corporations and the rich manage to escape their fiscal duties, even under Trump the reformer?

I own a corporation. Do you? My corporation pays taxes. And...whatever is left over gets paid out to our employees and my partners every year...who all then pay taxes at a higher rate than the corporate rate. There’s no secret basement where we stick money. You’re being lied to! 

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

Since I have been working on a number projects around the house, I have been making regular trips to Lowe's and Home Depot down here in NC. They have been packed during this entire lockdown - with, literally, thousands going through the stores every day. You would never know a lockdown was in place.

Both those stores are crushing it right now because so many people are taking the time do some some improvements. The Home Depot by me has metered occupancy.  I don't know what the capacity number is, but you stand in a line outside. Two come out, two go in. We were using curbside pick up for a while, but the HD isprobably one of the worst run HD's I've ever been to, so we've started moving over to Lowes.

4 minutes ago, Kemp said:

What I'm suggesting is that if certain states always fiscally support other certain states, don't serve me the manure that the government is being too kind to the former, as McConnell and his party mates have suggested. .

McConnell was saying that the states that have been poorly run shouldn't try to get the federal government to make up for their pension deficits through virus legislation. 

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Fair Tax, which is nothing more than a national sales tax. The more you spend, the more you pay. It needs a rock solid provision that it will never turn into a Value Added Tax.

The flat tax is the better system. A national sales tax puts more of a burden on lower wage earners who spend a larger proportion of their income on ‘sales’. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Simple solution - split the US into two countries. Red states can have Trump lead and Blue states can have any functioning adult run blue.

How long will red states survive without blue state bailouts?

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I own a corporation. Do you? My corporation pays taxes. And...whatever is left over gets paid out to our employees and my partners every year...who all then pay taxes at a higher rate than the corporate rate. There’s no secret basement where we stick money. You’re being lied to! 

https://itep.org/60-fortune-500-companies-avoided-all-federal-income-tax-in-2018-under-new-tax-law/

Who's being lied to?

42 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Something to consider guys. Sit-down restaurants (generally speaking) make their profits from the liquor and wines that they sell to go with their steaks and salmon dinners. Selling food without liquor for most restaurants is a losing proposition. If capacity is reduced in-house then less liquor will be sold. No amount of takeout food will make up for the loss of alcohol sales. In all reality, restaurants need to be able to get back to actual capacity in order to stay viable. Now, some of you may want to dispute my contention by using the pizza and sub shop example. They don't have to sell liquor because they have built their profits into their business plan sans liquor. They get away with it because the price point for a carryout pizza or sub is relatively low. The sit-down restaurant will have a difficult time raising prices enough to cover up for reducing their capacity by 50%. So, choices in the future will be to find a way to get our restaurants back to actual capacity or have them be the havens of the elite. 

...seems that a major hurdle to overcome is servers are actually making more guaranteed money staying home...so until the $600 stipend expires, re-staffing may be difficult especially if restaurants are mandated to operate at reduced capacity.......

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I know. Because both the rich and poor oppose it.

That the poor oppose it means nothing because they have zero power.

It is solely because the rich oppose it.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Simple solution - split the US into two countries. Red states can have Trump lead and Blue states can have any functioning adult run blue.

How long will red states survive without blue state bailouts?

you’re still here?

10 minutes ago, Kemp said:

The poor  pay sales tax..

The rich don't pay.

Corporations don't pay.

The middle class continues to shrink.

What in the ever-loving !@#$ are you barking about? I own an S-corp and you can't even begin to comprehend the amount of taxes we've paid in our 16 year existence.

You really need to get away from not just from your computer, but also away from pretty much ANYONE who is feeding you this embarrassingly stupid concep. Your entire post above above proves you literally know less about anything than virtually ANYONE on this board, and that includes Tibs, Gary, baskin and Q-tip.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

The flat tax is the better system. A national sales tax puts more of a burden on lower wage earners who spend a larger proportion of their income on ‘sales’. 

That's why one of the proposals gives a rebate to the lower income earners that would basically replicate what's being done now. The Fair Tax would vastly reduce the size of the IRS and eliminate nearly all of the cheating.

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...seems that a major hurdle to overcome is servers are actually making more guaranteed money staying home...so until the $600 stipend expires, re-staffing may be difficult especially if restaurants are mandated to operate at reduced capacity.......

I dont know about other states, but here in NY if your employer reaches out to bring you back, that is a job offer and you automatically are ineligible to continue to recieve unenjoyment.

16 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

FIFY

....how about an OUNCE of fiduciary responsibility with what they do collect?......"waste, fraud and abuse" = "oh that, well, we'll look into it"......YAWN......