The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

15 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Which kinds of elective surgeries, if not performed, lead to death?

I know 3 people currently undergoing cancer treatments at Sloan-Kettering in NYC. None of them has had an appointment postponed, so it's tough for me to believe patients are missing treatments unless patients are too scared to go.

My mom was supposed to undergo a stem cell treatment for her cancer, but it has been indefinitely postponed due to COVID. Worse yet, she was diagnosed last summer and turned 65 (MediCare) and so this is additionally jeopardizing the treatment in the following ways:

1) She was on COBRA coverage that covered the treatment and due to the delay may roll off into some Medicare plan that doesn’t cover it. (this is highly likely)

2) At a certain point, you are no longer a candidate for the treatment, so her condition may worsen too much while they arbitrarily wait to reopen things.

Edited by Troll Toll
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, shoshin said:

See group 2. 

I view that as a distinctly different group.

14 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

My mom was supposed to undergo a stem cell treatment for her cancer, but it has been indefinitely postponed due to COVID. Worse yet, she was diagnosed last summer and turned 65 (MediCare) and so this is additionally jeopardizing the treatment in the following ways:

1) She was on COBRA coverage that covered the treatment and due to the delay may roll off into some Medicare plan that doesn’t cover it. (this is highly likely)

2) At a certain point, you are no longer a candidate for the treatment, so her condition may worsen too much while they arbitrarily wait to reopen things.

I have to assume she opted for one of the lower level coverages with cheaper monthly rates. That doesn't justify the situation, but rather points to a hole in medical coverage in America..

Sorry about your situation. 

1 minute ago, shoshin said:

Do you think we should not try to minimize deaths of the group of people most affected by this?

We have two groups of people in the US right now: (1) Those that will not be affected by this almost at all or will just get an illness they can manage with OTC meds, and (2) Those that will end up in the hospital and die. We need to let the people in (1) get back to work in a reasonable way to minimize spread to the people in group (2), and for those in group (2), we need to take better care of them. 

no absolutely everything within reason should be done to protect everyone, including high risk. But if we say everyone in that above is high risk, we ain't ever go back outside, let alone to work, restaurants etc.

To me, it is incumbent on society to do as best we can, which does not mean it will be 100% effective, at  securing our nursing homes as best we can. But we also need to be realistic. I cant speak or cite any stats other than what i know to be true in Henrico county..where I live outside of Richmond. 96 dead from Covid. Of that number, 54 in one nursing home about 2 miles from me, another 11 in a nursing home about 11 miles me. So that is over 2/3rds of deaths have come in a nursing home environment. From most studies I have read, average length of stay in a nursing home is 5 months until death...and prolly that number goes down in facilities that are state run, as both of those homes were I referenced.

My point being i do not think we can as a nation of 300+M stay inside and crater an economy for generations to come based solely on how this virus is affecting those at end of life. 

I mean when does the "greater good" come into the conversation? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

no absolutely everything within reason should be done to protect everyone, including high risk. But if we say everyone in that above is high risk, we ain't ever go back outside, let alone to work, restaurants etc.

To me, it is incumbent on society to do as best we can, which does not mean it will be 100% effective, at  securing our nursing homes as best we can. But we also need to be realistic. I cant speak or cite any stats other than what i know to be true in Henrico county..where I live outside of Richmond. 96 dead from Covid. Of that number, 54 in one nursing home about 2 miles from me, another 11 in a nursing home about 11 miles me. So that is over 2/3rds of deaths have come in a nursing home environment. From most studies I have read, average length of stay in a nursing home is 5 months until death...and prolly that number goes down in facilities that are state run, as both of those homes were I referenced.

My point being i do not think we can as a nation of 300+M stay inside and crater an economy for generations to come based solely on how this virus is affecting those at end of life. 

That is why I noted group 1. We should be back to work for that group, but with them taking Reasonable precautions (staying home where work can be done remotely, wearing masks, closing common areas, etc). The plans are out there. 

The reopening will cause a death spike. My point is that we can’t lose sight of the hospitalization use and also controlling that spike as best we reasonably can.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kemp said:

I view that as a distinctly different group.

I have to assume she opted for one of the lower level coverages with cheaper monthly rates. That doesn't justify the situation, but rather points to a hole in medical coverage in America..

Sorry about your situation. 

No, the doctors have said she is currently on one of the only plans that covers the treatment (the COBRA plan from where she worked is a really good plan). Medicare limits your options for coverage significantly, so she may not be able to get on a plan that will cover it. It is a double whammy with the government forcing the shutdown and extending it long enough until they can force her to have to use Medicare. She also HAS to be on one of the better Medicare plans because her chemo drugs cost $15000 a month. Those drugs are generally covered under non-Medicare plans for $60 a month.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Troll Toll said:

No, the doctors have said she is currently on one of the only plans that covers the treatment (the COBRA plan from where she worked is a really good plan). Medicare limits your options for coverage significantly, so she may not be able to get on a plan that will cover it. It is a double whammy with the government forcing the shutdown and extending it long enough until they can force her to have to use Medicare. She also HAS to be on one of the better Medicare plans because her chemo drugs cost $15000 a month. Those drugs are generally covered under non-Medicare plans for $60 a month.

I'm really surprised that Medicare won't cover it and I'm unsure what Covid has to do with it, but I still feel sorry for you. My wife is dying from cancer, so I understand what you're going through.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, shoshin said:

That is why I noted group 1. We should be back to work for that group, but with them taking Reasonable precautions (staying home where work can be done remotely, wearing masks, closing common areas, etc). The plans are out there. 

The reopening will cause a death spike. My point is that we can’t lose sight of the hospitalization use and also controlling that spike as best we reasonably can.  

reopening will cause a death spike in car accidents also. 

point is, we have to get back to it. There really is no debate about this anymore. Taking reasonable precautions is fine and a good idea, but we have to err on the side of individual freedom and choices. 

Just now, dubs said:

reopening will cause a death spike in car accidents also. 

point is, we have to get back to it. There really is no debate about this anymore. Taking reasonable precautions is fine and a good idea, but we have to err on the side of individual freedom and choices. 

That's fine, but then you have to enforce the rules that people wear masks in public, otherwise you are removing the freedom of choice of those in high-risk groups that don't want to be confined to their homes.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I know most of you won't take this seriously because of your flawed weatherman logic. "Look at the source! They got _________ wrong!"

82 Administration officials, outside advisers and other experts with direct knowledge of the White House's handling of the pandemic seems pretty hard to completely dismiss.

So many issues, but too many of you will just dismiss the reporting as baseless...

But...

I will ask this of the folks over here based on your wild mistrust of MSM, which I recently learned from you is "mainstream media:"

Why the ***** do you so adamantly back a President who has Fox News hosts like Laura Ingraham to the White House late at night with her own handpicked guests in tow to push controversial drugs like hydroxychloroquine, which has, at the VERY least, been found to be significantly more dangerous than the President's initial "what do you have to lose?" attitude in terms of trying it.

There's just way too much cognitive dissonance over here in the extreme mistrust of mainstream media while Donald Trump uses some of its most controversial, narcissistic and frankly idiotic members (Hannity) as some of his closest advisers to ultimately guide his own policy, which has VERY clearly been happening for years now, just as it continued immediately after his late night White House visit from Ingraham.

Several reasons. There is a demographic transformation taking place in the country and the MSM has embraced it, because 1, it’s going to happen, and 2 the media needs customers (viewers) so it presents people, arguments and issues that appeal to this diverse spectrum of Americans. Many rural, racist and afraid of change Americans “This isn’t the country I grew up in” see it as a plot or something and turn to voices that they feel are defending them against the wave of change. Why else would a normal person follow a complete blow hard, idiot like Trump? Fear of the future as the older generation sees blue hair, dark skin and people being themselves and feel they are losing control, which they are :) 

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

There is going to have to be opening up with many limitations. Restaurants with limited capacity, no sporting events with fans, all schools and universities will have to be online next year I would imagine,. 

10 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Several reasons. There is a demographic transformation taking place in the country and the MSM has embraced it, because 1, it’s going to happen, and 2 the media needs customers (viewers) so it presents people, arguments and issues that appeal to this diverse spectrum of Americans. Many rural, racist and afraid of change Americans “This isn’t the country I grew up in” see it as a plot or something and turn to voices that they feel are defending them against the wave of change. Why else would a normal person follow a complete blow hard, idiot like Trump? Fear of the future as the older generation sees blue hair, dark skin and people being themselves and feel they are losing control, which they are :) 

Nice little speech there Tibs....but you’re Freudian slip into some rainbow coalition nonsense is showing through. You may want to adjust your skirt. Americans aren’t concerned or afraid of diversity. This is the most diverse country in the history of civilization. They’re concerned about the never ending drumbeat for a nanny state. They want to be left alone to make their own way in life. They don’t want the village to raise their damn children! They want to do it themselves! 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Nice little speech there Tibs....but you’re Freudian slip into some rainbow coalition nonsense is showing through. You may want to adjust your skirt. Americans aren’t concerned or afraid of diversity. This is the most diverse country in the history of civilization. They’re concerned about the never ending drumbeat for a nanny state. They want to be left alone to make their own way in life. They don’t want the village to raise their damn children! They want to do it themselves! 

What’s the building the wall all about? Exactly what I said. 

I wonder what percentage of Trump supporters get their primary income and health care from that nanny state they don’t want others to benefit from? 

5 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I know most of you won't take this seriously because of your flawed weatherman logic. "Look at the source! They got _________ wrong!"

82 Administration officials, outside advisers and other experts with direct knowledge of the White House's handling of the pandemic seems pretty hard to completely dismiss.

So many issues, but too many of you will just dismiss the reporting as baseless...

But...

I will ask this of the folks over here based on your wild mistrust of MSM, which I recently learned from you is "mainstream media:"

Why the ***** do you so adamantly back a President who has Fox News hosts like Laura Ingraham to the White House late at night with her own handpicked guests in tow to push controversial drugs like hydroxychloroquine, which has, at the VERY least, been found to be significantly more dangerous than the President's initial "what do you have to lose?" attitude in terms of trying it.

There's just way too much cognitive dissonance over here in the extreme mistrust of mainstream media while Donald Trump uses some of its most controversial, narcissistic and frankly idiotic members (Hannity) as some of his closest advisers to ultimately guide his own policy, which has VERY clearly been happening for years now, just as it continued immediately after his late night White House visit from Ingraham.

I have to ask. Have you posted ANYTHING in this thread, a thread about the most serious pandemic in 100 years, that wasn’t about Trump?  Just in case you weren’t aware that’s what this thread is about. The pandemic not Trump. This says a awful lot about how you, and the few others that post the same way here, go through life. Using the blame game. Sad. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Tiberius said:

What’s the building the wall all about? Exactly what I said. 

I wonder what percentage of Trump supporters get their primary income and health care from that nanny state they don’t want others to benefit from? 

You clearly don’t live in a diverse area of the country Tibs. I wonder if you’re willing to tell us. I live in Southern California, where we have millions of your so called ‘brown’ people. Nobody cares about their skin color. Nobody! But people still want the wall, because they want some level of social order. You’re more than welcome to visit.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Exactly who is stopping you from making your own way in life?

While you may embrace diversity, there are more than a few who fear it.

Just now, Kemp said:

Ha! Let me quote your savior: ‘You didn’t build that.’ Or your Queen: ‘It takes a village.’ Or your village idiot: ‘They’re not paying their fair share.’

Do I need to go on?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

Commies always need to spew this kind of crap.  But once in power, NOBODY makes their own way in life.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Kemp said:

And there always will be. What’s your point and what do you suggest be done about it. 

Edited by Chef Jim