The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

28 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I  check the John Hopkin's site to see the daily record of cases and saw something interesting.  Iran used to be near the top of the list.  Now they aren't even listed.  Russia had very few cases a couple of days ago.  Now they are unlisted.  I suppose there are many possible reasons for this but I wonder how Russia is making out.

If this attacks the lungs, what about all the kids that vape?  Mostly youth but I think that would hurt their odds if they get it.

About 4 weeks ago I read that people who get this and recover, can get this again.  The body does not retain its anti-bodies for this.  When I read this I was unsure if this was true and thought I might come across another mention of this, but it the last 4 weeks I have not.  Has anyone heard anything about this?

Risk of reinfection in recovered patients is low due to immune response and circulating antibodies, yes.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

Paolo, thank you for your feet on the ground reporting position here, it is nice to have that aspect. i wish we had more from other people around the world doing such, it can only help the community here.

with that said, i am going to have to disagree with you a bit further here. i also know others who live in Italy and they are saying things somewhat different that what you are seeing. for example, you say, "This unknown, or theese unknown chinese guys coming back from China could have infected someone, but that episodes probably remained confined within the chinese community and they did not spread up."  are/were you aware of the anti-racism Florence campaign/program, 'hug a Chinese'? that was happening just prior to the outbreak.

this was posted on Feb 4th, prior to the outbreak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNMdg4morQs&feature=emb_logo

the summation below the video says:

Mayor of Florence Dario Nardella has suggested residents hug Chinese people to encourage them in the fight against the novel coronavirus. Meanwhile, a member of Associazione Unione Giovani Italo Cinesi, a Chinese society in Italy aimed at promoting friendship between people in the two countries, called for respect for novel coronavirus patients during a street demonstration. "I'm not a virus. I'm a human. Eradicate the prejudice."

again, with all due respect, this seems to contradict what you are saying here.

I know all of this stuff, and you are right being confused because the thing is not so linear.

When first news of coronavirus arrived in Italy the chinese community was treated like pestilence spreaders.

Chinese kids were asked to get out public buses for example, and no one entered in chinese restaurants.

By the way, I have a close friend engaged with a chinese girl, they own a chinese restaurant and they were forced to close (like many others) and I don't know if they will open again.

These demostrations you posted refer to that period, and beware, because it is very important, this period was BEFORE the 25th of January, aka the Chinese New Years Eve.

So the italian-chinese community was neglected just because "the shape of their eyes", most of them are born in Italy or they did not visit their homecountry for years!

Then the 25th of January came, Italy at first decided for a forced quarantine of chinese coming back from New Year Eve, Chinese premier complained (because of business, of course), Italy changed its mind to "voluntary quarantine".

This episode changed everything because now the italian-chinese were the first to be scared to death, because they knew what was happening in their homecountry, while Italians underrated the issue. I repeat, I don't exclude that chinese returning from New Year Eve was a factor, I say that was a concurring factor and certainly it was not THE factor.

And I want to be clear, chinese people begun to behave in a way that we are FORCED to behave now, way before Italians, because the knew what was coming.

So they self isolated, wear masks, and so on., and I repeat, we mocked and used to have fun of them

After this the media and politicians declarations were up and down.

After the first cases there was THE TERROR.

People begun not to go spend money, so, ok, this is JUST A FLU, for the sake of economy!

People went on with their life like it was nothing.

Of course everybody is confused, media and politicians handled the thing in the worst case possible!

Until the hospitals begun to be full of people attached to machines.

Now we are under laws that limit our freedom.

But I think that government took the right decision, I don't want my parents to die.

And italians are behaving in a good way and collaborating.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

The Wuhan Virus is causing major disruptions in the U.S., from the stock market to the economy to social gatherings of all sorts.  The virus itself is still not nearly up to the disease standards of the common flu or swine flu, even though the media hype of it has been off the charts.  But that's not my point here.  Rather, I see three upshots to this Wuhan epidemic in the U.S.  There are probably more, but these three stand out in my mind.

1. Businesses now see that their precious supply chains and just-in-time inventory models are laden with risk.  Also, the American public and even our brain-dead political class are now aware of the folly of being dependent on China for so much of our essential goods, especially prescription medicines and health care products.  Both these factors will accelerate the relocation of U.S. businesses out of communist China.  Even if a number of those factories don't come home to North America, it is still a good development as they will no longer be fueling China's economy and by extension the Chinese military.  It will also drive companies to build in more flexibility and resilience in their supply chains.

2. In January, President Trump restricted people coming in from China.  He was called this and that for that action, but now it can be seen that the president was both prudent and foresighted.  That is what leadership looks like.  Europe currently has a greater problem with the Wuhan Virus because it did not act in a similar fashion.  The Democrats and media will never give Trump credit for this, but the average person sees it, thus discrediting both the media and Democrats even more.  Plus it drives home the point once again that borders are vital to a nation's security and well-being.

3. And speaking of the Europeans, they are in high dudgeon because on Thursday night, President Trump announced that the United States will suspend travel from 26 European countries into the U.S. for the next 30 days starting Friday, March 13.  Europe is complaining that it wasn't consulted on the travel ban ahead of time.  But to consult with the Europeans would be to give them an opportunity to delay the ban when time is of the essence — or, even worse, to undermine it.  After all, those people have proven to be of the same mindset as the Democrats: everything Orange Man does or proposes is bad and must be resisted.  By instituting the European travel ban, Trump was looking after American interests, which is what he was elected to do.  The Europeans are getting another lesson that they don't dictate American policy.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2020/03/the_silver_lining_in_the_wuhan_virus.html#ixzz6Ga0bkudo

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

2. In January, President Trump restricted people coming in from China.  He was called this and that for that action, but now it can be seen that the president was both prudent and foresighted.  That is what leadership looks like.  Europe currently has a greater problem with the Wuhan Virus because it did not act in a similar fashion.  The Democrats and media will never give Trump credit for this, but the average person sees it, thus discrediting both the media and Democrats even more.  Plus it drives home the point once again that borders are vital to a nation's security and well-being.

3. And speaking of the Europeans, they are in high dudgeon because on Thursday night, President Trump announced that the United States will suspend travel from 26 European countries into the U.S. for the next 30 days starting Friday, March 13.  Europe is complaining that it wasn't consulted on the travel ban ahead of time.  But to consult with the Europeans would be to give them an opportunity to delay the ban when time is of the essence — or, even worse, to undermine it.  After all, those people have proven to be of the same mindset as the Democrats: everything Orange Man does or proposes is bad and must be resisted.  By instituting the European travel ban, Trump was looking after American interests, which is what he was elected to do.  The Europeans are getting another lesson that they don't dictate American policy.

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2020/03/the_silver_lining_in_the_wuhan_virus.html#ixzz6Ga0bkudo

I agree with these points.

But the post is missing the main point.

The virus is spread worldwide and everybody has to address the problem.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

I know all of this stuff, and you are right being confused because the thing is not so linear.

When first news of coronavirus arrived in Italy the chinese community was treated like pestilence spreaders.

Chinese kids were asked to get out public buses for example, and no one entered in chinese restaurants.

By the way, I have a close friend engaged with a chinese girl, they own a chinese restaurant and they were forced to close (like many others) and I don't know if they will open again.

These demostrations you posted refer to that period, and beware, because it is very important, this period was BEFORE the 25th of January, aka the Chinese New Years Eve.

So the italian-chinese community was neglected just because "the shape of their eyes", most of them are born in Italy or they did not visit their homecountry for years!

Then the 25th of January came, Italy at first decided for a forced quarantine of chinese coming back from New Year Eve, Chinese premier complained (because of business, of course), Italy changed its mind to "voluntary quarantine".

This episode changed everything because now the italian-chinese were the first to be scared to death, because they knew what was happening in their homecountry, while Italians underrated the issue. I repeat, I don't exclude that chinese returning from New Year Eve was a factor, I say that was a concurring factor and certainly it was not THE factor.

And I want to be clear, chinese people begun to behave in a way that we are FORCED to behave now, way before Italians, because the knew what was coming.

So they self isolated, wear masks, and so on., and I repeat, we mocked and used to have fun of them

After this the media and politicians declarations were up and down.

After the first cases there was THE TERROR.

People begun not to go spend money, so, ok, this is JUST A FLU, for the sake of economy!

People went on with their life like it was nothing.

Of course everybody is confused, media and politicians handled the thing in the worst case possible!

Until the hospitals begun to be full of people attached to machines.

Now we are under laws that limit our freedom.

But I think that government took the right decision, I don't want my parents to die.

And italians are behaving in a good way and collaborating.

thank you for the thoughtful reply, Paolo. the complete exchange has provided valuable food for thought.

my best to you and yours and may universe have mercy on us all as we ride into the descending chaos.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

... Children have minor but can spread easy to others. ...

this is me.

i am almost never sick. that being said, for as long as i can remember, the only ones who i could catch anything from were kids. i could be in a room with 200 sick adults and not catch a thing. put in in close proximity to a sick child for ten seconds and there is a good chance i am going to catch it. 

i was sick earlier this year (caught it from my nephew at his birthday party), back in early Feb and now in hindsight, i am not sure what it was but if i didn't know better, i have half a notion that it might have been the coronavirus. i had many of the same symptoms, though certainly not all. the breathing issues and dry cough being amongst the most noticeable.

though it sucks to say, you can bet i am steering clear of kids today.

Florida mayors, police self-quarantine after possible exposure during Brazilian president’s visit

In this March 7 photo provided by Brazil's presidential press office, President Jair Bolsonaro stands with President Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and Bolsonaro spokesman Fabio Wajngarten during a dinner in Florida.  (Alan Santos/Brazils Presidential Press Office via AP) In this March 7 photo provided by Brazil's presidential press office, President Jair Bolsonaro stands with President Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and Bolsonaro spokesman Fabio Wajngarten during a dinner in Florida. (Alan Santos/Brazils Presidential Press Office via AP)

It's Obama's FAULT!!!!!! 

Trump blames Obama for coronavirus testing issues, says 'changes have been made'

Jesus Christ the CDC has been telling The Donald how bad it was and could get,  HE ignored then and now it's Obama's fault

When is it enough with this guy"

THREE Fing Years and he's still blaming Obama.  

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

-----------------------------

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

I  check the John Hopkin's site to see the daily record of cases and saw something interesting.  Iran used to be near the top of the list.  Now they aren't even listed.  Russia had very few cases a couple of days ago.  Now they are unlisted.  I suppose there are many possible reasons for this but I wonder how Russia is making out.

This site seems to be doing a fairly decent job at updates within countries:

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

It's Obama's FAULT!!!!!! 

Trump blames Obama for coronavirus testing issues, says 'changes have been made'

Jesus Christ the CDC has been telling The Donald how bad it was and could get,  HE ignored then and now it's Obama's fault

When is it enough with this guy"

THREE Fing Years and he's still blaming Obama.  

i thought that was a presidential thing? i mean we experienced 8 years of Obama blaming Bush. you still got 5 years to go, you might want to brace yourself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea-idUSKBN210051

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea reported more recoveries from the coronavirus than new infections on Friday for the first time since its outbreak emerged in January, as a downward trend in daily cases raised hopes that Asia’s biggest epidemic outside China may be slowing.

Edited by meazza
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, meazza said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea-idUSKBN210051

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea reported more recoveries from the coronavirus than new infections on Friday for the first time since its outbreak emerged in January, as a downward trend in daily cases raised hopes that Asia’s biggest epidemic outside China may be slowing.

post of the day so far.

thanks.

2 minutes ago, Foxx said:

post of the day so far.

thanks.

We need some good news for once.  

We have begun quarantine in Montreal, working from home, schools closed, etc.  

Very few cases but I suspect will explode very soon.

Edited by meazza
  • Thank you (+1) 4