The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

13 hours ago, Foxx said:

the flu, which we have a vaccine for every year currently has a mortality rate of around .8%.

Where is this data from? According to the latest CDC estimates for people with the flu if you go by deaths per hospitalizations it's .069 or 7%. Deaths per medical visits is .002 or 0.2% and if you go by deaths per flu symptoms it's way less than that.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Edited by Gary Busey

Sooooo, the ones that are affected most are the elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions? Sound a little like population control to anyone? Take out the ones who have lived "long enough" and those whom are perceived as a "burden" on society by some?

Either way, this whole thing wreaks of bs. I was told it was Anthrax that would get us, then the Bird Flu, the Swine Flu, Ebola, West Nile, SARS, MERS-CoV, now the Coronavirus, and talk is starting about Dengue Fever. It's always something and there's always an angle to the fear-mongering they push on the people. Read something yesterday that stood out which was Pharmacy companies keeping an eye on "20 Medicines which are China dependent" in the afternoon. Can you see the price hikes coming yet? I can, but for some reason they just gave a number and didn't list the actual names of the medications. Wonder why that is? Hmmmmm... No matter what continue to stockpile the TP for your bunghole, hand sanitizer, Lysol, dust masks, plastic bags to make those awesome little outfits I have seen some people wearing, and lock yourself in your homes at all times. Hopefully this cuts down on the lines at Bush Gardens and Kings Dominion this year so I'm not sitting in line for an hour and a half for a single roller coaster. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

Where is this data from? According to the latest CDC estimates for people with the flu if you go by deaths per hospitalizations it's .069 or 7%. Deaths per medical visits is .002 or 0.2% and if you go by deaths per flu symptoms it's way less than that.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

your link was for the '18/'19 flu season.

from this years CDC burden reporting:

cdcflu.thumb.png.b2d31fce39ab50523161b9c823d506c0.png

the factors should be all illnesses vs. mortality, not hospitalizations or medical visits. as that was the metric used in my post for COVID_19 and we are wanting to know that actual rate, not the rate of severe cases. the high end is @ a .11% mortality rate and the low end is @ a .06%. the actual mean is somewhere in between and i went with what is commonly being reported for the rate of this year's flu.

Edited by Foxx

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Sooooo, the ones that are affected most are the elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions? Sound a little like population control to anyone? Take out the ones who have lived "long enough" and those whom are perceived as a "burden" on society by some?

Either way, this whole thing wreaks of bs. I was told it was Anthrax that would get us, then the Bird Flu, the Swine Flu, Ebola, West Nile, SARS, MERS-CoV, now the Coronavirus, and talk is starting about Dengue Fever. It's always something and there's always an angle to the fear-mongering they push on the people. Read something yesterday that stood out which was Pharmacy companies keeping an eye on "20 Medicines which are China dependent" in the afternoon. Can you see the price hikes coming yet? I can, but for some reason they just gave a number and didn't list the actual names of the medications. Wonder why that is? Hmmmmm... No matter what continue to stockpile the TP for your bunghole, hand sanitizer, Lysol, dust masks, plastic bags to make those awesome little outfits I have seen some people wearing, and lock yourself in your homes at all times. Hopefully this cuts down on the lines at Bush Gardens and Kings Dominion this year so I'm not sitting in line for an hour and a half for a single roller coaster. 

This is the conspiracy theory being floated in China.  They're scared of the hell they wrought with the one-child policy that's leaving them with too many old people and not enough youngsters to support the aging population.  Lo and behold, you have a virus originating in central China that only takes out the old folk.

• Thank you (+1) 1

KRUISER’S MORNING BRIEF:   ZOMG CORONAVIRUS CANCEL ALL THE THINGS! 

“While I have been advocating for erring on the side of caution, I wonder how long this cancelation fever is supposed to go on. Do we keep doing the social distance experiment until the rate of new cases slows or stops completely?”

Well, yes.

Treat this outbreak seriously but not hysterically.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Mr Foxx spreading his agenda... Not realizing the virus doesn't care about your political views. 

i understand you are wanting my attention for some reason. lonely maybe?

it is not political, i stated my reasoning for my positions on my beliefs. you may not agree with them but that does not make them wrong. you on the other hand have provided no analytical analysis other than 'feelz'.

8 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Mr Foxx got stomped in this thread the second he tried to talk about the flu.

the fact that reading comprehension is lost upon you is not really surprising considering your contributions to this thread.

Edited by Foxx