Sal just declared the Pats*** reign over

TroutDog

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Denver won that SB despite Manning.

Not at all. No, he wasn't the old Manning, but he was still the smartest QB in the game. He found ways to win.

Yeah, the defense was terrific and was the main reason they win. But the offense did their job, particularly when it was Manning at QB.

You can say that with Manning starting they went 7-2 and with Osweiler starting they went 5-2, but that would be missing the point.

In Osweiler's seven games they scored 150 points, averaging 21.4 PPG.  In Manning's nine games they scored 205, an average of 22.7. That's not a huge difference but it was against a tougher group. Manning's nine games contained five teams that went 8-8 or better. Osweiler's seven games contained three that went 8-8 or better.

Manning managed three 4th quarter comebacks and three game-winning drives that year.

They don't win that SB without Peyton Manning.

12 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

So the Fact Brady has more Playoff comebacks than Manning means nothing? Or the fact his team had the lead w 2 minutes or less to go in the 4th quarter of 8 out of 9 SB means nothing? Or the fact he engineered the 2 greatest comeback in SB history means nothing?  See it’s ok say he isn’t the greatest because their are so many great QBs but to say Manning won more just false and doesn’t even look at how bad that man was in most of his playoff runs. 

Please.

Manning wasn't bad in the playoffs. His playoff QB rating was 87.4. Brady's is 89.8. That's an insignificant difference.

Brady has more playoff comebacks than Manning? Couldn't be because he's played more than half again the number of playoff games, could it? 41 vs. 27?

The fact that Brady's team "had the lead with 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter of 8 of 9 SBs" does indeed mean something. It means the New England Patriots defense had allowed fewer points than the New England Patriots offense had scored in 8 of 9 SBs. That's not a QB achievement, it's a team achievement.

The two greatest comebacks really were great achievements for Brady, but also for the Patriots D, which suddenly figured out how to shut down both of those opponents late in the game.

I'm not arguing that Manning's better, but it's not terribly unreasonable that Manning in Belichick's system might have been even better than Brady, and your arguments there are mostly weak.

The Pats defenses really were better than the Colts, all through both QBs careers. And that absolutely did have a lot to do with both teams results.

16 hours ago, High Football IQ said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats still win the division next year with belichik and a new QB.

Either way McClappy is 0-6 against him and not sure that's changing anytime soon even without Brady. The fact that Fitzpatrick and a Dolphins team that many said where going 0-16 this year could go in there and win speaks volumes about the situation.

Poor win-loss records in the first three years of a rebuild say very little about the situation beyond the fact that it was a rebuild. That's generally what happens in rebuilds.

The two losses this year do indeed count against McDermott. But those were both very competitive games. And though the Bills were a good team this year, next year was always likely to be the year when we saw what this group is fully capable of.

If there's a new QB in Foxboro and it's not someone like Luck, I think they are no longer the dominant force they've been for so long. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see them still be a pretty decent team with 9 or 10 wins maybe, if they can get someone to be a game manager type.

Are they gonna go with Stidham next year? I can't remember how he's looked in any NFL action. I wonder if they make a move up for a QB in the draft. They have a crap ton of draft capital, I think they got at least 4 comp picks. A lot of qb needy teams in the top 20 this year though. 

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Please.

Manning wasn't bad in the playoffs. His playoff QB rating was 87.4. Brady's is 89.8. That's an insignificant difference.

Brady has more playoff comebacks than Manning? Couldn't be because he's played more than half again the number of playoff games, could it? 41 vs. 27?

The fact that Brady's team "had the lead with 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter of 8 of 9 SBs" does indeed mean something. It means the New England Patriots defense had allowed fewer points than the New England Patriots offense had scored in 8 of 9 SBs. That's not a QB achievement, it's a team achievement.

The two greatest comebacks really were great achievements for Brady, but also for the Patriots D, which suddenly figured out how to shut down both of those opponents late in the game.

I'm not arguing that Manning's better, but it's not terribly unreasonable that Manning in Belichick's system might have been even better than Brady, and your arguments there are mostly weak.

The Pats defenses really were better than the Colts, all through both QBs careers. And that absolutely did have a lot to do with both teams results.

We will just disagree.. I watched every one of Manning’s playoff games and in most of them he was just looked bad.  Also people fail to remember he had HOF talent around him at WR his entire career! Brady had it for 1 year.. I will stand by my opinion Manning been lucky win 3 DB if he was the Pats QB.  

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll wait until someone informs the Pats

I’m pretty sure Fitz and the ‘Fins and the Titans strongly hinted at it! ? 

We almost did...man I wish we won one of those. 

Edited by TroutDog

I lurk a bit on the Pats boards. I think one of my favorite things right now is how delusional they are about the future. I guess that happens w/ 20 years of winning.

One poster was saying how everyone wrote them off in 2010 also, and they want on to win 3 SB's.  Everyone was chiming in that they'd do the same thing again, and that the dynasty was far from over.  All they need to do is "load up the offense" with top talent, as though that's the easiest thing to do w/ fairly limited cap space.  One guy tried to say "yeah, but Brady was 32 then, and he'll be 43," which was only met w/ a few "pliability" comments.

I have a feeling the next few years are going to be really fun.  Not just watching the Bills win, but watching a younger generation of fans who have never known losing try to cope w/ the drop-off that's coming for that team.  The latter is a more petty feeling, but can be satisfying as well.