Sal just declared the Pats*** reign over

TroutDog

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

Huh?  Six playoff teams means three divisions and three wildcard teams.  As for it being easier to win a 4-team division than 5, not sure I'd agree with that one.  Especially for a dominant team like the Cheaters were.

I'm trying to look that up.  I don't remember the NFL ever having 3 WCs.  I can certainly remember when there was only 1 and 3 divisions.

I could be wrong. Stay tuned ...

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm trying to look that up.  I don't remember the NFL ever having 3 WCs.  I can certainly remember when there was only 1 and 3 divisions.

Prior to the division changes in 02. 3 div winners and 3 wildcard teams. Can you imagine what the afce would have been like if the colts had stayed in the division.

7 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

You are. ?

5 hours ago, class_of_2012 said:

Brady has more wins against Buffalo, at 32-3, than any other team:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00/splits/

That misses my point. The Bills have been horrible against the lip kisser.  What team in the league had a winning record against the Pats* since Brady lucked into a job because of a collapsed lung? 

Edited by loyal2dagame

14 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

That misses my point. The Bills have been horrible against the lip kisser.  What team in the league had a winning record against the Pats* since Brady lucked into a job because of a collapsed lung? 

Carolina is 3-2 vs. Brady. Seattle is 2-1. Arizona is 1-1.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

You said: " Indy had basically the worst run defense in the NFL during Peyton’s time there."

That's demonstrably false.  He was there 13 years. 

And let's look closer at that SB playoff run:

That Colts D held teams to 8, 6, 34 (NE), and 17 points. 

In the NE game, they held NE to 89 yards rushing.  KC to 44 yards rushing. Baltimore 83 yards rushing.  Chicago to 111.

IN the WC game vs KC, Manning had 252 yards despite 39 attempts/1 TD and 3 ints.

In the Div game vs Balt, Manning had 170 yds/completed 15 passes/zero TD and 2 ints.

His playoff stat line that year?  97/153/1034 yds/4 TD/7 INT.

It's safe to say that the Colts D, particularly the run D, carried that team over those 4 games.

Imagine Manning with a very good D?  Hmmm...let's try!

2007, coming off the SB win they won 13 games and had the #1 D in points and #3 in yards.   One and done.

Next year?  2008 won 12 games, 7th ranked D in points, 11th in yards.  One and done.

The year before the SB?  2005 they won 14 games, D #2 in points allowed, 11 in yards.  One and done.

2002?  won 10 games, D #7 in points allowed, 8 in yards.  One and done.

And Brady?

2001 SB:  D #6 in points, 24 in yards allowed.

2004 SB:  D #2 in points, 9 in yards

2014 SB:  D was #8 in points, 13 in yards.

2018 SB:  D was #7 in points, 21 in yards.

Brady went to SBs behind Defenses that were ranked 24, 31, 13 and 21 in yards allowed.  Not all exactly "top flight"--and not much different than Manning's one and dones listed above.

Are you seriously trying to cherry pick numbers to claim that Indy’s defenses were anywhere close to those New England defenses!? Did you even watch the NFL in those years? Patriots defenses were stacked with great players:

Ty Law

Teddy Bruschi

Mike Vrabel

Willie McGinest

Lawyer Milloy

Rodney Harrison

Richard Seymour

Asante Samuel

Vince Wilfork

Indy had Dwight Freeney

But the real question...  did his kid Max state it too? No Sal time is without him shoehorning a Max story into it. He's the worst in Buffalo, by a mile. He can't carry Joe B.'s jock when it comes to knowledge of the game. 

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Isn’t it funny we all wanted him gone for so long...now many fans want him to stay to we can knock his block off...?

I just dont want it to be that we could only beat them after he left. I know the narrative will still be that he's washed up now, but at least it would still be him. I also want him to feel defeat handed to him from the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

I just dont want it to be that we could only beat them after he left. I know the narrative will still be that he's washed up now, but at least it would still be him. I also want him to feel defeat handed to him from the Bills.

We beat them with Tommy when Fitz was QB. I'm good with that. 

We beat them in 2014 when Tommy played the first  1/2.  They pulled him so he wouldn't get killed.  2014 D could get after the Qb.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

We beat them in 2014 when Tommy played the first  1/2.  They pulled him so he wouldn't get killed.  2014 D could get after the Qb.

Correct, and those victories were sweet. Certainly not as sweet as it being for the AFC East Championship.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

Bellicheck went 11-5 with Matt Cassell. Nothing is over until Bellicheck is gone. With a top end QB, they could be better than they ever were with Brady.

Yeah, he went 11-5 with Matt Cassel ... against a historically easy schedule. Look at Miami's record the year before, that year and the year after. The AFC East had a gimme schedule that year like few in football history.

Belichick's terrific, but without Brady they won't be the same. Yeah, if they get a top QB, it could all continue. Think they're going to get one? [EDIT: that post below about Andrew Luck coming back in Foxboro gave me heart palpitations. Man, I hope that doesn't happen.] Giving up Garoppolo was a move that will have repercussions for them for a long time.

IMO we'll never see Brady playing for another team. He knows how good he's had it in NE. But I could see him retiring or not.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I took little solace in that. They pulled Brady because it was Week 17 and they had nothing to win or lose.

It was nice enough but meant no more to me than it did to the Pats.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, Troll Toll said:

Are you seriously trying to cherry pick numbers to claim that Indy’s defenses were anywhere close to those New England defenses!? Did you even watch the NFL in those years? Patriots defenses were stacked with great players:

Ty Law

Teddy Bruschi

Mike Vrabel

Willie McGinest

Lawyer Milloy

Rodney Harrison

Richard Seymour

Asante Samuel

Vince Wilfork

Indy had Dwight Freeney

... and Bob Sanders. That guy was Polamalu-like. If he'd stayed healthy ...

In 2006, their championship year, Sanders only played four games during the season and they allowed 5.3 YPC during the year, worst by almost half a yard per carry. Then Sanders played the whole playoff schedule and they allowed 4.1 YPC.

They also had Robert Mathis. And a lot of pretty good players. But they were built mostly to defend the pass rather than the run. Very few teams could run much against them because who runs when they're 17 points behind?

Edited by Thurman#1