Shout out to Brian Daboll

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I agree. Today was not his best game calling plays, today was about our guys out-executing their opponents. We didn’t win on offensive coaching today. And yes I remember the trick play. 

Ex: Singletary breaks a big run and is clearly winded...next play is perfect for play action. Instead they run him off tackle and goes for negative yards. Way too many obvious run calls that didn’t put enough pressure on pretty average Dallas defense imo.

I mean, if you call plays that your players execute and it results in drives, those are good offensive plays. He had players open on crossing routes that Josh hit for first down after first down. That’s not a knock on the OC because the players are executing well, it’s the opposite.

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I mean, if you call plays that your players execute and it results in drives, those are good offensive plays. He had players open on crossing routes that Josh hit for first down after first down. That’s not a knock on the OC because the players are executing well, it’s the opposite.

I saw too many runs off tackle that the Cowboys were obviously prepped for going for zero or negative yards. The offense's best plays outside the trick play which was a phenomenal call by Daboll were iirc mostly individual effort by Allen and Singletary.

2 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Not for nothing a few of the Josh Runs were HORRIBLE Calls!!!  But all in all.... a decent day indeed!

Josh should not be running designed runs on 1st down. I will give credit where its due, this was Dabolls best game. He still lets off the throttle a little too early IMO but he had the offense humming right along with mistake free football. Truly a pleasure to watch effort matched with execution. Tip of the hat to you Brian!

Just now, billsbackto81 said:

Josh should not be running designed runs on 1st down. I will give credit where its due, this was Dabolls best game. He still lets off the throttle a little too early IMO but he had the offense humming right along with mistake free football. Truly a pleasure to watch effort matched with execution. Tip of the hat to you Brian!

It feels like he shouldn't be running designed runs period.

The most effective scheme for him seems to be 5 receivers, with the RB peeling out downfield if it's not a pass play. Josh should be scrambling in place of a checkdown, as it seems to be a lot more effective so far. I hope the analytics department is tracking average yards on these plays to be sure, because as a casual viewer there seems to be a pretty big gap.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He did a really nice job today of giving them some plays early in the game that set stuff up for later. Including the early Josh run which came on an option play that Singletary hit a couple of decent runs on later. 

Yeah actually on both sides of the ball the coordinators have raised their games in recent weeks.    They took the restraints off of Allen and let him run tempo and operate at the LOS and he looks athletic and relaxed in the pocket now and Frazier/McD have done a good job blitzing and moving DL around to create penetration that they just weren't getting before while not making themselves any more vulnerable to the run.    Things weren't working as they were so they have taken more chances and it's paying off.

• Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah actually on both sides of the ball the coordinators have raised their games in recent weeks.    They took the restraints off of Allen and let him run tempo and operate at the LOS and he looks athletic and relaxed in the pocket now and Frazier/McD have done a good job blitzing and moving DL around to create penetration that they just weren't getting before while not making themselves any more vulnerable to the run.    Things weren't working as they were so they have taken more chances and it's paying off.

Yea they have had to make the decision on defense that they are going to have to have more guys attacking the point of attack. It has meant singling the corners up much more than they are used to and Levi Wallace has been a victim of the change because he just doesn't have the physical traits to hold up but they have mixed Kevin Johnson in well and it has worked out. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

The Brown TD throw is one of the best play calls I've ever seen. Right after picking up an improbable 4th and 1 it's a perfect time to catch Dallas off guard, and we use one of our biggest tendencies to run a trick play that we hadn't put on tape before. Perfect play call against man coverage. Just all around a sublime play.

I still have issues with his play calling at times. The scheme of his offense is great but we find ourselves in a lot of 3rd and longs and then we rely on Allen to pull us out of it. I will say his play calling in the 2nd half today noticeably improved, it was the best half that Daboll has coached this year.

The 2nd downs on those situations were made so predictable that the Dallas LBs were quickly in our back field for losses.  We were now caught for many 3rd and longs...Also, may be it is worthwhile to use Andre Roberts as a H-Back to use his speed and put him and Singletary in the backfield. 

8 hours ago, nrenegar said:

It feels like he shouldn't be running designed runs period.

The most effective scheme for him seems to be 5 receivers, with the RB peeling out downfield if it's not a pass play. Josh should be scrambling in place of a checkdown, as it seems to be a lot more effective so far. I hope the analytics department is tracking average yards on these plays to be sure, because as a casual viewer there seems to be a pretty big gap.

The designed runs and option runs make Josh a threat the defense has to key on during RPO’s and option sweeps that we love to run. It’s a part of our offense that is keeping the D honest.