Men Who Wear Vests

Jauronimo

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Why?  Defend yourselves.  What situation have you encountered where your core was somehow cold and your extremities too hot in a normal coat?  

Fact: 50% of when who wear vests are wannabe midtown finance douche bros who take their fashion cues from fictional tech nerds and the other 50% think Cabela's is formal wear.

the office has a lot of cool cross-breezes in some parts, so the I&IT folk like to wear them

2 minutes ago, Guffalo said:

Ouch,

• I work in midtown,
  • I work in finance, 
  • I have 7-8 fleece/nylon vests
  • As soon as the weather turns cold, I wear them
  • I'm well over 50 (almost 60)
  • I love the extra pockets
  • I don't travel in packs of 2 or more
  • Sorry for offending you
  • Your opinion does not affect me

Looks like it cut you to the bone.  Throw all your vests in the river (doesn't matter which one) and pray for forgiveness!

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Why?  Defend yourselves.  What situation have you encountered where your core was somehow cold and your extremities too hot in a normal coat?  

Fact: 50% of when who wear vests are wannabe midtown finance douche bros who take their fashion cues from fictional tech nerds and the other 50% think Cabela's is formal wear.

Is there a backstory here?  Did your short ribs not close the deal and you saw her walking out of happy hour with tech vest bro? 

5 minutes ago, stony said:

Is there a backstory here?  Did your short ribs not close the deal and you saw her walking out of happy hour with tech vest bro? 

The backstory is above.  Every day I see gaggles of vest wearing junior banker bros without a shred of individuality.  But rather than the old group think fashion statements like all wearing the same Gamo or Gucci bit loafers with the shiny belt or wearing identical blue suits with the shame sheen on them, the vest is just ugly.  

I'm in no danger of being dumped for jr bankers.  I can afford the Patagonia with the sleeves.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

The backstory is above.  Every day I see gaggles of vest wearing junior banker bros without a shred of individuality.  But rather than the old group think fashion statements like all wearing the same Gamo or Gucci bit loafers with the shiny belt or wearing identical blue suits with the shame sheen on them, the vest is just ugly.  

I'm in no danger of being dumped for jr bankers.  I can afford the Patagonia with the sleeves.

Yeah, my beef is more with Patagonia.  Someone inside their building realized there was a suburban 14-60 demo being under-serviced in regards to expensive fleece.  It's the new Northface.     

10 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

that shade of blue in a suit

and pointy shoes trying to pretend your shoe size is 4 more than honest

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I see the fleece vests all around when I visit HQ. 

It's a dorky old man look that I will never get behind.

What unique part of SF's typical maritime climate makes fleece vests sensible?

Who said SF was unique?  I imagine vests are a good option in other maritime climates too.   But I never found any use for them on the east coast.

Just now, KD in CA said:

Who said SF was unique?  I imagine vests are a good option in other maritime climates too.   But I never found any use for them on the east coast.

I’m in Atlanta and the vest was the perfect option for walking the dog today. I had actual three piece suits back when I was a dorky banker, but that went out quickly. I don’t wear them to be formal, I wear them to be comfortable. And I don’t care what anyone else thinks as long as I’m happy!  ?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Old Navy is largely responsible for this silliness.  Vests are like those visor hats.  Go back to the damn store and get the rest of your coat!  lmao

I have one or 2 of the old Navy ones that I used to wear all the time in the winter here, I usually wear hoodies when it's cold and they are warm. You lose heat from your core, not from your arms so it doesn't affect you much if you don't have sleeves from a jacket. There's nothing wrong with them unless your a little sissy who's afraid of their forearms getting chilly....

5 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Old Navy is largely responsible for this silliness.  Vests are like those visor hats.  Go back to the damn store and get the rest of your coat!  lmao

Old Navy seems to be responsible for a lot of the low-end douchenozzley fashion silliness.  

Hey, Old Navy...no matter how hard you try, fleece jogger shorts and a fleece hoodie vest over a long-sleeve textured gingham shirt is not going to be this fall's fashion hit.  Stop pushing your garbage on the rest of us.

• Haha (+1) 1

Why and When to Wear a Vest for Warmth

"Vests provide more warmth than most people realize, and even help keep your extremities warm. How is that possible? When your core temperature starts to drop, the body reduces blood flow to your extremities, increasing blood flow to the core in an attempt to protect your organs1,. By keeping your core insulated and warm, blood flow remains constant to your extremities, keeping them warmer. That is why often a long sleeve shirt with a good vest (and the right gloves, hats and pants) are enough to keep you warm when being active in cold temperatures. "

That being said I'd never wear a vest...it's stupid.