Week 10: Bills at Browns

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I hear ya. You are right, I was kind of responding to the other poster. Bills aren’t favored for a reason, they have yet to win a tough game. This game will be tough on the road. 

Tennessee says hi.

Didn't see this. 

Ryan Talbot article from NYUp

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/11/buffalo-bills-at-cleveland-browns-6-storylines-for-week-10-matchup.html

-Bills DB calling out Landry for dirty play: "Landry’s history with the Bills goes ...back to a crack-back block that he put on former Buffalo safety Aaron Williams in 2016. The hit, which drew a penalty, resulted in a neck injury for Williams which essentially ended his professional football career.  Last year, Landry and the Browns took on the Bills in the preseason and the wide receiver once again targeted a Bills defender with a crack-back block. This time, cornerback Taron Johnson was the target. The hit did not draw a penalty in this instance nor was Landry fined, but the Bills locker room considered the hit to be dirty."

'Zo says:  “Landry, he’s a good receiver, physical guy, but some of those plays that he has — Aaron Williams, Taron, I’m pretty sure he has other ones — I just think they’re dirty,” Bills linebacker Lorenzo Alexander said Sunday, per ESPN. “Coming from the outside of the box in, the league needs to do a better job of calling penalties on those types of plays. Obviously, defenders get called all the time on stuff that is probably less egregious than that. If we’re going to protect our football players, we need to protect everybody, not just offensive guys. It was dirty at the end of the day, and that’s how I feel about it.”

Question: do the Bills have any remedy with the league, to elevate concerns about this type of play from Landry to the league and have it watched for?

Other stuff in there about comparisons between Mayfield and Allen, whether Tre' White will shadow OBJ, run D vs Chubb/Hunt, and whether we'll keep calling Motor's number.

8 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Tennessee has no where near the same talent as Cleveland. I was at the Tenn game. 

That's actually kind of funny cuz Tennessee has a better record and actually destroyed Cleveland earlier in the season. 

Go on...

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Offense goes through Chubb with Hunt in the game as well.  Baker plays spread the Ball to Landry and OBJ he will throw picks like h has ALL season.  But Freddy Kitchens (worst coach in the NFL) wont see that.

What’s with the new avi? Did someone lose a bet...?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, r00tabaga said:

That's actually kind of funny cuz Tennessee has a better record and actually destroyed Cleveland earlier in the season. 

Go on...

Cleveland has more talent but is probably the least disciplined team. To many personalities, not a great HC. I am just speaking talent. Now the other piece is coaching and playing with each other. If the Browns has the same attitude and culture as the Bills,  they would be undefeated and probably SB contenders. 

3 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Cleveland has more talent but is probably the least disciplined team. To many personalities, not a great HC. I am just speaking talent. Now the other piece is coaching and playing with each other. If the Browns has the same attitude and culture as the Bills,  they would be undefeated and probably SB contenders. 

wow.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The biggest difference here is Pederson/Wentz /Eagles OL vs Kitchens/Baker/Browns OL. They can copy the game plan but executing it is a different story

If you need a further dissection, Wentz stood tall in the pocket to the last possible moment and delivered the killer throws.  From what I've seen of Baker, he'd be bailing out on all those plays well before they're set.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m fascinated by how much the Bills (coaches/players/media/fans) are focused on stopping their playmakers and I’ve heard nothing, literally, from their side about how they plan to defend our offensive players. And I listen primarily to sports radio that covers the Browns and follow media that covers them. I don’t know what to make of it. 

@YoloinOhio, did you listen to their pressers earlier in the week?

I thought Kitchens and Mayfield's pressers both had a very weird affect about them.  I can't really figure out how to describe them better than "weird".

It was like they were sleepwalking or something. I said elsewhere my first reaction was "Bar bar Baby", after the song about purple Drank.

Wednesday started with nice things about the Bills but still very generic:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11/freddie-kitchens-discusses-baker-mayfield-in-wednesday-press-conference-transcript.html

“It will be good to be back home facing a very good Buffalo Bills team that is playing good football. (Bills head coach) Sean (McDermott) is doing a great job with those guys. They are playing good defense. They run the ball very effectively. They play smart. They play tough. They are physical. Their defense keeps them in every game, and then their offense kind of tries to impose the will on you." 

It's nice, but it's so generic!

Then On the Bills ranking first in the NFL in red zone offense: “They are able to run the ball down there. Their quarterback is able to scramble. They get first downs down there. Sometimes it is just about picking up first downs down in the red zone, and they have done an excellent job of that.”

Yes, JA has scored TDs in the redzone, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, most of the time he scores in the redzone it has been on designed runs - either "and one" goal line push, or actual designed runs.  It's so generic, almost like he hasn't actually studied the film on the Bills very much at all.

Or is it "idiot savant" where he doesn't want to let on what he knows?

It finished with the reporters' take " Stopping the running back has been the Bills’ biggest problem as of late. In the last three weeks, Buffalo has allowed a league-high 422 interior rushing yards. If the Bills run defense continues to struggle, Chubb and Hunt could have big days and help lead the Browns to their third win "

This is the most specific thing I've heard, and it's all about how the Browns hope to use their guys, it's really not about how they need to play our guys.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/11/browns-hc-hopes-nick-chubb-kareem-hunt-can-drain-some-energy-from-buffalo-bills-defense.html

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/07/baker-mayfield-we-have-to-force-feed-odell-beckham-early-in-games/

I get it that the Bills aren't a sky full of stars, but Tre' White is something like #3 CB in the league right now?  Poyer and Hyde the best safety duo?  Devin Singletary just had an amazing game? 

Eh, whateves I guess.

41 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

With Mariota at QB no less. 

Titans #8 D

Browns #20 D

Titans #23 on O despite QB follies

Browns #26

I mean, look, @atlbillsfan1975, talent is as talent does.  They're worse than the Titans in some important categores - like points given up and scored.

Do we care about statistics generally, or only when they're bad about our Bills?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought Kitchens and Mayfield's pressers both had a very weird affect about them.  I can't really figure out how to describe them better than "weird".

It was like they were sleepwalking or something. I said elsewhere my first reaction was "Bar bar Baby", after the song about purple Drank.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/11/freddie-kitchens-discusses-baker-mayfield-in-wednesday-press-conference-transcript.html

“It will be good to be back home facing a very good Buffalo Bills team that is playing good football. (Bills head coach) Sean (McDermott) is doing a great job with those guys. They are playing good defense. They run the ball very effectively. They play smart. They play tough. They are physical. Their defense keeps them in every game, and then their offense kind of tries to impose the will on you." 

Then On the Bills ranking first in the NFL in red zone offense: “They are able to run the ball down there. Their quarterback is able to scramble. They get first downs down there. Sometimes it is just about picking up first downs down in the red zone, and they have done an excellent job of that.”

Yes, JA has scored TDs in the redzone, but someone correct me if I'm wrong, most of the time he scores in the redzone it has been on designed runs - either "and one" goal line push, or actual designed runs.  It's so generic, almost like he hasn't actually studied the film on the Bills very much at all.

It finished with the reporters' take " Stopping the running back has been the Bills’ biggest problem as of late. In the last three weeks, Buffalo has allowed a league-high 422 interior rushing yards. If the Bills run defense continues to struggle, Chubb and Hunt could have big days and help lead the Browns to their third win "

This is the most specific thing I've heard, and it's all about how the Browns hope to use their guys, it's really not about how they need to play our guys.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/11/browns-hc-hopes-nick-chubb-kareem-hunt-can-drain-some-energy-from-buffalo-bills-defense.html

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/07/baker-mayfield-we-have-to-force-feed-odell-beckham-early-in-games/

I get it that the Bills aren't a sky full of stars, but Tre' White is something like #3 CB in the league right now?  Poyer and Hyde the best safety duo?  Devin Singletary just had an amazing game? 

Eh, whateves I guess.

FWIW JA has had 4 rushing TD's

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

the last 2 were 1 yard QB "sneaks"  Was and NE 

Week 1 a 3 yard rush V NYETS

Week 2 a 6 yard rush V Giants 

Let the NFL world outside (and in) throw shade on the Bills 

It only makes them look uninformed 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

FWIW JA has had 4 rushing TD's

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm

the last 2 were 1 yard QB "sneaks"  Was and NE 

Week 1 a 6 yard rush V Giants 

Week 2 a 6 yard rush V NYETS

You must have the teams flipped?  Week 1 vs Jets, week 2 vs Giants.

Point being, both of those plus the 1 yd sneaks were designed runs, not scrambles, correct?

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Eh, whateves I guess.

They say the same thing every week about every team and they always sound half asleep. I get that John Brown isn’t OBJ and Devin isn’t Chubb as far as being “household names” and Allen doesn’t have 75 endorsement deals like Baker but at least make it sound you have some idea who you are playing! 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They say the same thing every week about every team and they always sound half asleep. I get that John Brown isn’t OBJ and Devin isn’t Chubb as far as being “household names” and Allen doesn’t have 75 endorsement deals like Baker but at least make it sound you have some idea who you are playing! 

Roger that!  Do they actually not know, or do you think it's just a ploy?

Even stuff like answering a question about the redzone, saying "their QB can scramble".  Well, yes, he can, but none of his rush TDs have been scrambles.

Strange.