McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Laughing Coffin said:

Ya and McDermott essentially passing on Watkins and Mahomes to then have to wheel and deal a bunch of picks in order to get up to 7 to take Allen, If Allen doesn't pan out, will be far worse than the Watkins move

He's made it clear why he passed on Mahomes. In getting things started in every area, he simply didn't have enough time to put into evaluation. I'm sorry, but this is totally understandable to me in a year when the next year was widely considered to be the best QB year in recent memory.

And the Watkins trade has panned out in every way so far. We saved a ton of money, got a lot of draft capital for the move up to get a QB and passed on a guy who hasn't even come slightly close to being worth his contract. Half of KC's season is gone and Watkins is on pace for an 820 yard season. Letting him go was flat-out smart.

And if Allen doesn't work out, moving up for him won't have been the wrong move. Choosing Allen will have been the bad move.

4 hours ago, SJDK said:

Star is a mistake with that contract. Benjamin was a mistake as well as pretty much any of the Panthers players we brought in. We are playing money ball now as a lot of teams are. I think we have great coaches but we make some poor decisions with RBs (except Singletary) and receivers. However, with that said we are a good team but we need a piece or two on the offensive line, a piece or two on the defensive line (edge rusher too), Lorenzo’s replacement and an A+ wide receiver. 
Every regime selects players for their team vision. A lot of things look like mistakes when the next guys scheme doesn’t jive with the player. All things considered, I think Rex had the worst selections (all the Jets players, Percy Harvin etc..).

Star has been fine. He doesn't do what the fans want him to do, but that's irrelevant, because he has done what McDermott wants him to do. He may (or may not) have regressed this year but he did his job last year. It's not a mistake that our defense has been very very good since we brought him in, nor that they've done well against the run. (23rd in YPA in 2017 without Star, 9th in YPA in 2018 with him and so far 15th this year even after our worst game against the run in recent memory, in which Star played well, as Joe B. noted).

Benjamin got us to the playoffs with that game in the snow. And with his history, it was a move that had a good chance to work. It didn't, but it was a very reasonable move at the time.

Our RBs have also been fine. And while we could use more from our WRs, when you look at the resources we spent on them, they've all worked out except Zay. Brown and Beasley have been worth it and we didn't spend many resources on anybody else. That may well change next year but so far most of their WRs have been worth what we paid for them or more.

Agreed with the rest. Scheme fit is an underconsidered part of whether guys work out somewhere.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

eh?  I'm not the one who has to make stuff up to feel good about a sports team...

Well, that’s what your doing here.  Making stuff up.  Mythical fans who agree with you.

Bills and McD aren’t perfect.  Need to step up on offense, need to recover from that lousy performance last week.  But for chicken littles like you, the sky is not falling.

i think you’re one of those who want the team to do bad so you can crow on a website about how smart you are.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Well, that’s what your doing here.  Making stuff up.  Mythical fans who agree with you.

Bills and McD aren’t perfect.  Need to step up on offense, need to recover from that lousy performance last week.  But for chicken littles like you, the sky is not falling.

i think you’re one of those who want the team to do bad so you can crow on a website about how smart you are.

Not at all, I'd like the Bills to actually be good some day. They are not there yet, and I don't think they are getting there with McDermott or Allen.

20 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Whaley's trades for players:

Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes

Kiko Alonso for Lesean McCoy

A fifth and a seventh for Matt Cassel and a sixth

Trade deadline trades: I'm fairly certain the number under Whaley was zero. 

Exactly, all Whaley's bad trades came from the draft (trading up for EJ Manuel or/and Sammy Watkins, come to mind)

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

Exactly, all Whaley's bad trades came from the draft (trading up for EJ Manuel or/and Sammy Watkins, come to mind)

How was Manuel a bad trade?   The pick was bad, the trade was great.

1 minute ago, GG said:

How was Manuel a bad trade?   The pick was bad, the trade was great.

if the player you traded up for in the first round doesn't have first round talent I don't see it as a great or even good trade.

McDermott traded the QB who won the NFL MVP his first year as a starter, let the best CB in the league walk to a hated rival in FA and canceled out a comp pick for him by signing a special teamer, a fullback and a backup DE.  I really don't need him lecturing me about past irresponsible decision making.

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Playoffs in year 1 and likely again in year 3

IMO, this comment displays some emotion after a tough loss, but it also conveys some sound reasoning.

I'm gonna give the guy the benefit of the doubt right now.

I mean when you put it like that...I legit had to stop and stroke my chin and go "Hmmmm. Huh. Hmmmmm". If he makes playoffs two out of three years, with the NON year being the hump year when he switches to HIS QB....that's pretty amazing considering the desert the Bills have walked through.

31 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I mean when you put it like that...I legit had to stop and stroke my chin and go "Hmmmm. Huh. Hmmmmm". If he makes playoffs two out of three years, with the NON year being the hump year when he switches to HIS QB....that's pretty amazing considering the desert the Bills have walked through.

Unless they win 12-13 games this season the ‘two playoff appearances in three years’ stat would just be a result of McDermott being much luckier than the last six head coaches who preceded him.