Any tips on getting out of jury duty?

Rudyc80

I gotta go in May and dont want to be chosen.....i cant afford to miss any time for my buisness.

any tips on how not to get chosen?

300567[/snapback]

If you get out, someone will have to take your place who also can't afford to miss time from work.

I know it is a pain but if you get it over with, you are free from having to serve for 7 years or something like that.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got out of jury duty a few years ago on the first day, not because of something I had said though. The defendant never showed up in court, so the judge issued an arrest warrant and let us all go, having "fufilled our obligation for the next 4 years".

I've got connections with several police agencies and lawyer offices, so it's doubtful they'd want me on a jury anyways. But for the average person, I would suggested becoming very aware of anything on the news about upcoming court cases. Read the newspaper, watch TV, so that if they question you, you can answer "well, the media says...." Lawyers hate when people base their opinion on what the media is saying about their client.

I got called for jury duty twice. First time was in 1997. I was out in 45 minutes. Luck of the draw, I was called into the courtroom with the first bunch of people and when asked if I trusted Cops, I answered an emphatic NO. The judge said "Have a nice day". Second time was last year. It was a bit different as it took me almost two hours to get out. This time, they handed you a microphone and you had to read a bunch of questions and give your answer. I just told the judge that I knew someone involved in the case. (Just pay attention and when they read the witnesses, just pick a cops name and say you know him). Immediate dismissal. This time though they sent me back to wait to be called for a civil case. I thought I was screwed, but within 15 minutes, they called a bunch of us over and dismissed us.

I could have cared less if I was picked or not. I just wanted to see how fast I could out of it and go screw around for the rest of the day.

F**K that ! There's no shortage of population with plenty of time on their hands to sit on some jury. I just don't happen to be one of them. There are actually people out there who relish the idea of jury duty and really get into it. Let them do it then. What's so difficult about that? The system is better off with enthusiastic jurors who can devote their energy to it, not someone who doesn't want to be there and is losing money. Ever think that maybe THIS is the person you don't want on the jury, as they may be motivated by outside factors to bring a swift resolution to the case? :devil:

300782[/snapback]

bull sh--... you aren't more important than anybody else on this board. If somebody brings a fraudulent lawsuit against me. I want hard working Americans on the jury. Not a bunch of do-nothing sloths who most likely live off the system.

when i went they asked if anyone would have a hard ship if they sewrved . about 15 people got up and where let go that still left about 80 people . that same day the lawyers started picking , that took about 2 hours . i got picked picked , it was kind of fun .

bull sh--... you aren't more important than anybody else on this board. If somebody brings a fraudulent lawsuit against me.  I want hard working Americans on the jury.  Not a bunch of do-nothing sloths who most likely live off the system.

301116[/snapback]

You're certainly entitled to your opinion even though it's different than mine. Quite to the contrary of your myopic view, a cursory look at the group around me revealed that many of these people were either seniors or middle aged homemaker types some of whom seemed quite well to do. There were no street urchins that I could see. And many of them were talking enthusiastically about serving. Great for them. Maybe it makes them feel "involved" or is just a welcome distraction from mundane tasks. Whatever. I clearly did not imply that I was more "important" than anyone else, just that I had no interest in serving and there was no shortage of those who did. So your twisted perception missed my point. Let those people serve, as they will probably do a better "job" than someone who doesn't want to be there. And if I were on your jury, I'd find in favor of the complaintant just for your dimwitted comments! :devil::lol:

As usual, George Carlin provided sage advice on his album titled, ironically enough, "What Am I Doing In New Jersey?"

Lots of people try to get out of jury duty, don't they, and they do, a lot of people try to get out of jury duty by lying.  You don't have to lie.  Tell the judge the truth.  Tell him you'll make a terrific juror because you can spot guilty people [snaps fingers] JUST LIKE THAT.

That said, hey, it's your civic duty. Do it.

This is truly amazing.

What about all the people in the Army reserve who's families are losing their homes and/or going bankrupt because they are on greatly reduced incomes while they serve full time in Iraq??

So get a loan and do your duty. :(

To all of you saying "do your duty", I would like to thank you for being so much higher and mighter than the rest of us... thanks.

Second, it is practical for ALOT of people (especially those of us who rely on our own businesses for some/all of our income) to just say "oh, I have to do my duty, $10 a day will have to do!"...

Third, to solve all of this, jury duty should be like maternaty leave for people who do work for someone else. You get paid for your time away. Period.

And for people who can prove to a court that they are self employed, the court should pay them what they can prove is an average wage over the past 6 months.

Finally, the possibility of professional jurors isn't such a bad one. At least we would have 12 people in the box that somewhat know the law, rather than 12 people who are either 1) pissed off because they don't want to be there, 2) thinking about how much money they are losing by being there...

but remember, it's easy to say "just do your duty"...

To all of you saying "do your duty", I would like to thank you for being so much higher and mighter than the rest of us... thanks.

Second, it is practical for ALOT of people (especially those of us who rely on our own businesses for some/all of our income) to just say "oh, I have to do my duty, $10 a day will have to do!"...

Third, to solve all of this, jury duty should be like maternaty leave for people who do work for someone else. You get paid for your time away. Period.

And for people who can prove to a court that they are self employed, the court should pay them what they can prove is an average wage over the past 6 months.

Finally, the possibility of professional jurors isn't such a bad one. At least we would have 12 people in the box that somewhat know the law, rather than 12 people who are either 1) pissed off because they don't want to be there, 2) thinking about how much money they are losing by being there...

but remember, it's easy to say "just do your duty"...

301457[/snapback]

Of course as a business owner you should expect these situations and have saved for them. You never know when you will get sick, injured, have a death in the family, etc... That is why you are supposed to save and that should be in your business plan. Of course someone who wants to bag out of their civic duty proabbly hasn't thought about that either. Of course when he is 65 has no money he will be coming to that same government for hand outs.

This is truly amazing. 

What about all the people in the Army reserve who's families are losing their homes and/or going bankrupt because they are on greatly reduced incomes while they serve full time in Iraq??

So get a loan and do your duty.  :(

301442[/snapback]

People are pretty selfish today. They expect others to sacrifice so that they do not have to sacrifice.

Or just perform your civic !@#$ing duty.

300579[/snapback]

My JD stint starts on Mon.  I have to call every night starting tomorrow to see if I am to report.  I didn't even consider not attending, but then again, my employer is paying me.

300611[/snapback]

How about you pretend to be a man, and do your civic duty like everybody else.  Just an idea...  :(

300639[/snapback]

Don't be a chump. Do your duty!

300785[/snapback]

Okay everybody, hum along...

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;

He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;

He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword;

His truth is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His truth is marching on.

I have seen Him in the watch fires of a hundred circling camps

They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;

I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps;

His day is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His day is marching on.

I have read a fiery Gospel writ in burnished rows of steel;

“As ye deal with My contemners, so with you My grace shall deal”;

Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with His heel,

Since God is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Since God is marching on.

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;

He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment seat;

Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet;

Our God is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Our God is marching on.

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,

With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:

As He died to make men holy, let us live to make men free;

[originally …let us die to make men free]

While God is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! While God is marching on.

He is coming like the glory of the morning on the wave,

He is wisdom to the mighty, He is honor to the brave;

So the world shall be His footstool, and the soul of wrong His slave,

Our God is marching on.

Okay everybody, hum along...

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord;

He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored;

He hath loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword;

His truth is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His truth is marching on.

I have seen Him in the watch fires of a hundred circling camps

They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps;

I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps;

His day is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His day is marching on.

I have read a fiery Gospel writ in burnished rows of steel;

“As ye deal with My contemners, so with you My grace shall deal”;

Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with His heel,

Since God is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Since God is marching on.

He has sounded forth the trumpet that shall never call retreat;

He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment seat;

Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! be jubilant, my feet;

Our God is marching on.

In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,

With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:

As He died to make men holy, let us live to make men free;

[originally …let us die to make men free]

While God is marching on.

Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! While God is marching on.

He is coming like the glory of the morning on the wave,

He is wisdom to the mighty, He is honor to the brave;

So the world shall be His footstool, and the soul of wrong His slave,

Our God is marching on.

301483[/snapback]

Why was I not quoted?

aussiew either?

You have something against Texans?