Trump on United States Constitution - "Phony"

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Watching the freak out over nothing, from blind partisans who lack principles or even the ability to think for themselves, is a source of never ending comedy. :lol: 

"You people with this phony Emoluments Clause" - Donald Trump

Here come the Ann Coulter talking points...

34 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i guess now all the faux-Harvard scholars, meaning every Liberal on the planet, can give an opinion on this clause, although 99% of them had never heard of it until the recent mention.

They probably thought it was referring to skin-softening products.

Constitution is fake news! 

Calling libertarians, hello?? 

Talk about phonies 

44 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Watching the freak out over nothing, from blind partisans who lack principles or even the ability to think for themselves, is a source of never ending comedy. :lol: 

Lol, of that silly constitution! 

Checks and and balances are for losers! 

Just more ore proof who the real threat to the country is. Sucking up to Putin, extorting foreign governments and putting "acting" people in positions without congressional approval. You radical Trumpists are a threat to the republic. 

Liberals, so funny. 

“No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States; and no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.”

Excerpt From
The United States Constitution
United States
https://books.apple.com/us/book/the-united-states-constitution/id498472800
This material may be protected by copyright.

Entire quote:

"George Washington they say had two desks. He had a presidential desk and a business desk. I don't think you people with this phony Emoluments Clause -- and by the way, I would say that it's cost me anywhere from two to five billion dollars to be president. And that's okay."

the “you people” clearly shows that he is ranting against his opponents arguments and not specifically the constitution 

but hey, it’s Gary

with a little Tibsy thrown in 

?

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, B-Man said:

Entire quote:

"George Washington they say had two desks. He had a presidential desk and a business desk. I don't think you people with this phony Emoluments Clause -- and by the way, I would say that it's cost me anywhere from two to five billion dollars to be president. And that's okay."

the “you people” clearly shows that he is ranting against his opponents arguments an not specifically the constitution 

but hey, it’s Gary

with a little Tibet thrown in 

?

B-Mann Coulter, ladies and gentlemen

I figured it would be you.

Trump said the clause is phony. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

B-Mann Coulter, ladies and gentlemen

I figured it would be you.

Trump said the clause is phony. 

Coulter's splitting hairs, and that badly.

But don't pretend you have some sort of moral high ground over her.  You're being trolled by a sweet potato.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Koko78 said:

Wait, so after 3 years of  "but she WON the popular vote!!!!!11", you're now suddenly concerned with the Constitution?

That’s your answer??? Lol!!! ? 

Once again we are being told by these right wing liars that what the president vomited out wasn’t what he really vomited out. Sadly, their followers just nod their heads, Two legs bad, Trump’s lies good. ? 

The Emoluments Clause exits for a very good reason. Not only from a moral perspective should you not be enriching yourself from the office of the presidency while president but you also risk being literally bribed via your business interests by foreign governments and entities. How anyone could couch this as a partisan issue is beyond me. Jimmy Carter had to put his peanut farm into a blind trust just on the off-chance that he might become corrupted though that business interest. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Emoluments Clause exits for a very good reason. Not only from a moral perspective should you not be enriching yourself from the office of the presidency while president but you also risk being literally bribed via your business interests by foreign governments and entities. How anyone could couch this as a partisan issue is beyond me. Jimmy Carter had to put his peanut farm into a blind trust just on the off-chance that he might become corrupted though that business interest. 

fun reading on the topic

as to whether it is law

as to whether it is enforceable

as to whom it applies, possibly all of Congress and anyone on the Federal payroll

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Constitution is fake news! 

Calling libertarians, hello?? 

Talk about phonies 

Lol, of that silly constitution! 

Checks and and balances are for losers! 

Just more ore proof who the real threat to the country is. Sucking up to Putin, extorting foreign governments and putting "acting" people in positions without congressional approval. You radical Trumpists are a threat to the republic. 

This is what happens when you forget to take your meds.

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

Gee.. that's not common place in government, is it? 

image.jpeg.87626bbdc823a6fed7c84bb075763ff5.jpeg

Image result for obama foundation

Image result for mccain institute

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Gee.. that's not common place in government, is it? 

image.jpeg.87626bbdc823a6fed7c84bb075763ff5.jpeg

Image result for obama foundation

Image result for mccain institute

There is the technical distinction that these are not for profit entities. These aren’t entities that can put money back directly into the pockets of these politicians via simple and direct business transactions. Now I am sure there are back channel ways to funnel money to these people via these foundations (although not for profits are heavily regulated so there is at least some level of scrutiny) but there is a vast difference from a president openly running a business where you can openly bribe them unlimited amounts of money directly to a president having a not for profit foundation designed to do charity work. 

I also don’t defend the notion that if those foundations are corrupt those people should have been thrown out of office. I don’t get your “Well everybody does it” argument here. For one this isn’t the same thing as a business but even setting aside the technical different I don’t care to defend any pol’s use of a foundation. You either care about corruption or you don’t. You aren’t arguing in good faith if you think people criticizing Trump for these corrupt dealings as don’t have an issue with general corruption using those types of foundations. 

Making everything into a partisan issue to obfuscate from corrupt behavior is you working backwards from your conclusion that Trump is good and great in everything he does. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

There is the technical distinction that these are not for profit entities. These aren’t entities that can put money back directly into the pockets of these politicians via simple and direct business transactions. Now I am sure there are back channel ways to funnel money to these people via these foundations (although not for profits are heavily regulated so there is at least some level of scrutiny) but there is a vast difference from a president openly running a business where you can openly bribe them unlimited amounts of money directly to a president having a not for profit foundation designed to do charity work. 

I also don’t defend the notion that if those foundations are corrupt those people should have been thrown out of office. I don’t get your “Well everybody does it” argument here. For one this isn’t the same thing as a business but even setting aside the technical different I don’t care to defend any pol’s use of a foundation. You either care about corruption or you don’t. You aren’t arguing in good faith if you think people criticizing Trump for these corrupt dealings as don’t have an issue with general corruption using those types of foundations. 

Making everything into a partisan issue to obfuscate from corrupt behavior is you working backwards from your conclusion that Trump is good and great in everything he does. 

I think DR is pointing out the obvious hypocrisy in people not having any issues with politicians using fake foundations to peddle influence and calling constitutional crisis with a president holding a summit at one of his properties at cost (in other words, not making any profit).  

One is clearly intended to enrich the politicians and their families and friends in an significant way. We’re talking dynastic wealth being generated and it being done in a completely secret way. 

The other is not making a single dollar for the president and being done wide out in the open. 

so, yeah....I get what DR is saying. 

Edited by dubs
  • Like (+1) 3