Reasons to not feel so bad about Patrick Mahomes

Rigotz

2 minutes ago, Success said:

The way I always look at it, it wasn’t even a thought in our minds on that draft day.  There are always the guys who say “he was my pick!”, and I’m sure a small few are telling the truth, but leading up to the draft, other QBs were being talked about more.

Mahomes was seen almost like Maybin- not a ton of experience, but flew up the boards late.  Some thought he’d drop to the 2nd or even 3rd.  Had we picked him early, it’s more likely that the overall sentiment here would have been negative, at least initially.

A lot of QBs would have gone higher with hindsight.  Or lower.

That is not quite true. He was a consensus 1st round pick and there were a lot of people on here who wanted him and had seen a lot of him. I say that as someone who personally was wary of his mechanics - particularly his footwoork - and had him as the 3rd QB in the class as a result and did not have a 1st round grade (thought said repeatedly he would go in the 1st). 

What makes this an interesting conversation is that the Bills dead man walking of a GM at the time allegedly loved Mahomes. There are good reasons the Bills didn't pick him, but the decision is one that will rightly be scrutinised for a long time to come. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Only when people start ridiculous topics telling us all that we shouldn't frett passing on a superstar. 

OK BFD!!! Try to get over it and enjoy the 2019 Bills and quit crying!

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Only when people start ridiculous topics telling us all that we shouldn't frett passing on a superstar. 

Drama Queens!

Andy Reid and the supporting offensive cast (which the Bills wouldn't have been able to provide until 2019) are a big reason for Mahomes being as dynamic and prolific as he has been. It is possible that Mahomes would just be that dynamic early on because he is that good but I think Buffalo was not the right place or right time for Mahomes. 

I think that if White and Edumonds end up anchoring the defense for the next 4-7 years and Allen is a top 10 QB then history will not look at missing on Mahomes as a blunder (Similar to how the Rockets taking Hakeem above Jordan is not looked at as a blunder.) 

I think the Bears will be the ones who look like idiots not taking Mahomes or Watson instead trading up a spot to take Mitch who is looking like a bust despite massive improvement in year two. It is all going to depend on Allan, White, and Edumonds and how their career and the Bills shake out. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is not quite true. He was a consensus 1st round pick and there were a lot of people on here who wanted him and had seen a lot of him. I say that as someone who personally was wary of his mechanics - particularly his footwoork - and had him as the 3rd QB in the class as a result and did not have a 1st round grade (thought said repeatedly he would go in the 1st). 

What makes this an interesting conversation is that the Bills dead man walking of a GM at the time allegedly loved Mahomes. There are good reasons the Bills didn't pick him, but the decision is one that will rightly be scrutinised for a long time to come. 

I thought Whaley was all over Watson at 10?

5 minutes ago, vorpma said:

OK BFD!!! Try to get over it and enjoy the 2019 Bills and quit crying!

Drama Queens!

I enjoy the Bills every season. Even when we suck. But part of my enjoyment of the Bills is to scrutinise them. In everything they do. I enjoy the process as much as the winning and I reserve the right to scrutinise every single decision they make. That doesn't make me any less of a fan. 

2 hours ago, dakrider said:

I wonder how many old Baltimore Colts fans still lament the trading away Elway.... ?

Unless they are bitter and still ranting endlessly, they cannot be true fans. 

Oh.........unless they are actual adults with actual lives. THAT changes everything! 

Sounds a bit like;  my soup is still spilled, can we please go back in time so I can have my soup......?

Does anyone here really think Mahomes would have won the MVP if he played in Buffalo in 2018? I am not trying to take away from Mahomes, I am just saying he would not be nearly as good on the Bills in 2018 as he was on the Chiefs. I bet Josh Allen would be much better on the 2018 Chiefs as well. Its a very good place to be for a young QB with a good arm. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Unless they are bitter and still ranting endlessly, they cannot be true fans. 

Oh.........unless they are actual adults with actual lives. THAT changes everything! 

I will be honest I couldn't be a true fan without scrutinising the organisational decisions that are made. I am exactly the same with my soccer team too. For me to be in I have to be all in. I have to try and understand the motivations that are never fully revealed to fans. That is my style of fandom, it is just who I am I suppose.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I will be honest I couldn't be a true fan without scrutinising the organisational decisions that are made. I am exactly the same with my soccer team too. For me to be in I have to be all in. I have to try and understand the motivations that are never fully revealed to fans. That is my style of fandom, it is just who I am I suppose.  

This was in response to Elway and the Colts. My view on life is I prefer to be forward looking. Learn from the past, but try not to dwell on it obsessively.  If a Colt fan is still upset over Elway, they need help. Mahomes is obviously much more recent, but I guess I get to a point where I let it go and move on more quickly than some others.  I find that to be healthier for me, but we each have our own time line. To each their own.  

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I enjoy the Bills every season. Even when we suck. But part of my enjoyment of the Bills is to scrutinise them. In everything they do. I enjoy the process as much as the winning and I reserve the right to scrutinise every single decision they make. That doesn't make me any less of a fan. 

Nothing wrong with that all

I personally am now enjoying the journey......last year was really tough while I sat and tried to explain to ppl that we were in a full rebiuld and cleaning up salary cap mess (which the ppl argueing said we didnt have to do)

but look at us now....Super Bowl Caliber defense.....a offense with the potential to get better and better.....and in wonderful cap situation.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

OK, no argument, but stop blowing snot bubbles!