Week 5: Bills (+2.5) at Titans

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

Honestly, this isn't all that surprising.  The offense hasn't had much trouble moving the ball, but we've been turning it over way too often.  So our yards-to-points ratio is all out of whack.

And this is why we should be encouraged long term.  We even moved the ball on the Pats to the tune of almost 400 yards.  And this isn't garbage yardage piled up after we were down by 4 TD's.

In fact this kind of stat is expected with a very young & inexperienced QB and an offense with 9 new players including as many as 4 rookies on the field.  It's a hell of a lot easier to get better at ball protection then it is to start moving the football up & down the field.  TO's are a solvable problem but learning how to move the ball with your existing talent when you haven't been is a lot tougher nut to crack.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Tennessee doesn't have anywhere near the secondary NE has.

The threat of a running game would be nice, meaning NO MORE empty backfields would be nice.

They don't but once the Giants and Bengals started sending more bodies, that's when Allen struggled.  He hasn't handled the blitz well at all this year.

They are going to continue going after him until he figures it out.  

1 minute ago, Say When... said:

i saw a stat that Allen was the most blitzed QB for 2019 and it was a pretty decent margin to 2nd place, not sure the last game inflated that stat or not but that's telling.

Dabs needs to work some blitz nullifying outlets into his plays and Allen needs to rely on them, do it like the Pats and just use the outlet till the D backs off.

Maybe I'm full of it but the solution is pretty simple - throw screen passes.  Why we haven't is a mystery to me. 

And it's also not a good idea with a young QB facing a lot of blitzing to constantly empty out the backfield.  Extra pass protection never hurt and when it all breaks down the RB drifts away and the QB dumps it to him.  See the Carolina Panthers & McCaffrey or NO Saints & Kamera.  The loss of Singleterry may be a much bigger issue then we thought.

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They don't but once the Giants and Bengals started sending more bodies, that's when Allen struggled.  He hasn't handled the blitz well at all this year.

They are going to continue going after him until he figures it out.  

I know I sound like a broken record here but did we counter the blitz with screen passes in those games?  I don't think we did.  And we kept running the spread which removes pass protection.

Sure Allen owns some of this by not getting the ball out fast to the hot receiver but when we don't call screen passes and we can't line-up with 2 TE's and pound the football on the ground the problem goes way beyond Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, dous21 said:

Looks like Allen won't play this weekend 

we need to run the ball down their throats. Matt Barkley isn't winning us this game. 

An opposing D facing a backup QB is going to take the run away. Barkley will have to win it, save a defensive score or two. 

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Maybe I'm full of it but the solution is pretty simple - throw screen passes.  Why we haven't is a mystery to me. 

And it's also not a good idea with a young QB facing a lot of blitzing to constantly empty out the backfield.  Extra pass protection never hurt and when it all breaks down the RB drifts away and the QB dumps it to him.  See the Carolina Panthers & McCaffrey or NO Saints & Kamera.  The loss of Singleterry may be a much bigger issue then we thought.

I know I sound like a broken record here but did we counter the blitz with screen passes in those games?  I don't think we did.  And we kept running the spread which removes pass protection.

Sure Allen owns some of this by not getting the ball out fast to the hot receiver but when we don't call screen passes and we can't line-up with 2 TE's and pound the football on the ground the problem goes way beyond Allen.

We did try a screen.  Remember when Allen threw the ball at the feet of Yeldon?  NE sniffed it out, they saw it coming so Allen killed it.
We tried WR screens that had a little bit of a gain.

Yeah it removes pass protection but also leaves someone open...you just have to find them fast enough.  Allen didn't.  

Someone like Rogers or Brady kill you when you blitz them...right now with Allen, he gets killed.  

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We did try a screen.  Remember when Allen threw the ball at the feet of Yeldon?  NE sniffed it out, they saw it coming so Allen killed it.

Yeah it removes pass protection but also leaves someone open...you just have to find them fast enough.  Allen didn't.  

Someone like Rogers or Brady kill you when you blitz them...right now with Allen, he gets killed.  

There were a handful of screen attempts that Pats* snuffed out pretty well.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We tried ONE screen.  That's not exactly an aggressive way to counter all that blitzing.  Against NE and given the amount of blitzing that went on we should have thrown 5 - 6 screen passes at minimum.  Through the first 4 games how many screen passes have we even attempted?  Less then 5 from my memory.  Is it that we don't have an O-line that can get out and block for a screen?

As for WR screens we don't have the size or speed at the WR position to be particularly good at this play.  Are Beasley or Zay really going to effectively block for a quick screen to Brown? And when we spread Gore & DeMarco out on the same side of the field you kind of lose that side to screen to.

Also how many times have we kept a RB in the backfield and had him slide out for a dump off pass?  I remember a couple of flair passes to the RB's but not a whole of dump offs.  And before we blame Allen here I don't remember the RB's being available for the dump off.  Last night that was a play used by Pittsburgh multiple times for big gains.

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

We tried ONE screen.  That's not exactly an aggressive way to counter all that blitzing.  Against NE and given the amount of blitzing that went on we should have thrown 5 - 6 screen passes at minimum.  Through the first 4 games how many screen passes have we even attempted?  Less then 5 from my memory.  Is it that we don't have an O-line that can get out and block for a screen?

As for WR screens we don't have the size or speed at the WR position to be particularly good at this play.  Are Beasley or Zay really going to effectively block for a quick screen to Brown? And when we spread Gore & DeMarco out on the same side of the field you kind of lose that side to screen to.

Also how many times have we kept a RB in the backfield and had him slide out for a dump off pass?  I remember a couple of flair passes to the RB's but not a whole of dump offs.  And before we blame Allen here I don't remember the RB's being available for the dump off.  Last night that was a play used by Pittsburgh multiple times for big gains.

They tried more than one screen.  None worked.  

You can't look at it in isolation and ask why didn't they run more screens.  You also have to examine NE's defense in the game and see why screens did not work.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

They have a strong D as well so i expect us to score less.

20-13 Bills.

Score less than what? That score beats what we've put up in half of the games, and is only 1 point less than what we got in another. It's more than our current points per game 

8 minutes ago, arcane said:

Score less than what? That score beats what we've put up in half of the games, and is only 1 point less than what we got in another. It's more than our current points per game 

Not in response to your point, just as an aside..

Our points per game is definitely not indicative of this team’s ability on offense.  We’re top 10 in ypg yet mistake our way to bottom third points per game.  

Barkley probably doesn’t make all the mistakes Josh does, but are we anywhere near as potent?  We’ll see. 

Edited by SCBills

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yes we do and yes Beasley/Zay can put enough of a body on a defender.  Cole Beasley has run screens with us and caught one against NE for a gain of about 8-9.  

John Brown isn't slow.  
We attempted more than one screen.

You're talking as if Daboll doesn't have any clue about offense at all....yet Belicheck hired him once and wanted to hire him again.

This game was on Allen, plain and simple.  He was terrible for 90% of the day.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes we do and yes Beasley/Zay can put enough of a body on a defender.  Cole Beasley has run screens with us and caught one against NE for a gain of about 8-9.  

John Brown isn't slow.  
We attempted more than one screen.

You're talking as if Daboll doesn't have any clue about offense at all....yet Belicheck hired him once and wanted to hire him again.

This game was on Allen, plain and simple.  He was terrible for 90% of the day.

I'm bullish on Allen but it should be ok for this board to admit Josh lost the game. 

Daboll schemed up open guys.. Josh missed them.  Daboll had checkdowns available... Josh wouldn't take them. 

It is what it is. 

It doesn't mean Josh cant come back, tighten up on the turnovers and light up future teams.  The offense led by him moves the ball very effectively. 

• Like (+1) 12

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Solid improvement from where the passing offense was last year. Lots of room to get better. Not sure where they stand in offensive points per game but I’d guess it’s not too good. Not shown in Sals tweet. 

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I'm bullish on Allen but it should be ok for this board to admit Josh lost the game. 

Daboll schemed up open guys.. Josh missed them.  Daboll had checkdowns available... Josh wouldn't take them. 

It is what it is. 

It doesn't mean Josh cant come back, tighten up on the turnovers and light up future teams.  The offense led by him moves the ball very effectively. 

Yes, it doesnt have to be one or the other. I too still believe in Josh but this game was an unmistakable disaster in every sense. I have seen enough improvement in the first three games to remain hopeful. He has shown for at least 1/2 of every game through three weeks that he can take the underneath stuff and be accurate. I am not sure what caused him to abandon that for all but 1 drive against the Pats but you could tell him Daboll's sideline admonishing that he was NOT following the gameplan. I will be very curious to see how he bounces back from this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

An opposing D facing a backup QB is going to take the run away. Barkley will have to win it, save a defensive score or two. 

our defense isn't really a explosive scoring defense. They hold offenses and suffocate them but do it in a very organized fashion.