Week 5: Bills (+2.5) at Titans

YoloinOhio

35 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Absent injury and not clearing the protocol, I don’t see any way you sit your starting QB that got you to 3-0. What Belichick did to Josh is what he does to every young QB. Not even sure how much Belichick even did to him honestly. The errors were all forced, inpatient hero ball crap. I feel like the cheats played him the same way last year. Take away the escape runs and make him throw. Sure, Josh can learn, and I wouldn’t have been against pulling him for a series to tell him to cut the ish, but he needs to play. Josh needs to learn, and I don’t see how sitting on the bench helps at this point. Love him or hate him, we go as far as he takes us this year. Same as it’s always been. 

This^^^. Besides , sitting a guy down just doesn’t happen in the NFL at the QB position. If you do this ( outside of injury) then you are done with that guy being the QB of your team. That’s just how it is, and won’t change. The Bills aren’t at that point, nor should they be. Not now. Most of Josh’s wounds were self inflicted. He has to learn to not take negative plays. If he doesn’t, he won’t play here or anywhere in the NFL for very long. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

you can’t?  This is the Titans... not the ‘72 Dolphins or ‘85 Bears

I know this as a fact: it’s the NFL and nothing can be taken for granted. Having said that, the Titans are not the Patriots. We should have beaten the Pats at home, but I worry about the Titans on the road. Regardless, this is entertainment and I look forward to a great weekend in Nashville with my son! I hope it ends with the Bills at 4-1. 

This game won’t be easy with either QB starting. Let’s be real we aren’t a dynamic offense. My thinking is Allen is cleared to play, dresses and is listed as the backup. If Barkley goes down they bring in Allen and mostly hand the ball off. This is a game where you want to throw the ball as little as possible. It’s going to be won in the trenches. Mariotta is a very capable QB who can run with the ball, so it will be important for Milano & Edmunds to spy on him. 

I could be wrong, but I think McD will be cautious with Allen, and giving him two weeks to heal and time to watch Barkley take snaps with the ones and a game to watch Barkley work within Daboll's scheme would be good for him.

Folks are looking for controversy and hate where there is none. Barkley will be able to execute a short timing game that Daboll will scheme up for what the Titans like to use in different down and distance. What he cannot do is work outside the scheme when it breaks down and when teams get enough tape on him. He is a good fit for a team trying to groom a young QB. Some folks are trying too hard.

I suspect Allen sits and Barkley can do enough to get us through this game. If we can execute a scripted drive early that leads to points before they make a lot of adjustments, I trust this defense to keep us in the game or chip in a pick 6 (they are due). If Singletary is in and is fully healed I expect us to win.

• Like (+1) 2

This is a gotta-win game if the Bills have truly arrived: lose and the Bills are trying to re-establish themselves as relevant out of the bye. 

Big difference between losing two games after five games and losing two after seven. 

Edited by BurpleBull
  • Like (+1) 2

It's likely to be an ugly, low-scoring affair this week.  The Bills rank 2nd in total defense and 5th in points allowed despite having a -2 turnover ratio.  The Titans rank 14th in total defense but 4th in points allowed and have a +5 ratio.

Somewhat surprisingly, the Bills' offense is now 9th in total yards (but 23rd in points), and the Titans are 25th in total offense but 13th in points.

Perhaps this is a "Captain Obvious" statement, but I really think this one will come down to which team turns the ball over the least as the Bills appear to have the more balanced team.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

Somewhat surprisingly, the Bills' offense is now 9th in total yards (but 23rd in points),

Honestly, this isn't all that surprising.  The offense hasn't had much trouble moving the ball, but we've been turning it over way too often.  So our yards-to-points ratio is all out of whack.

• Like (+1) 1

It doesn’t mean much, but.............

the Titans haven’t seen a D even close to what the Bills are, while the Bills have seen two D’s that are better than the Titans (Jets with Mosley too, along with NE).

Plus, Mariota will be the worst QB the Bills have seen yet.

Will that even matter? I don’t know.

Edited by njbuff
  • Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Vrabel is going to watch film on NE and attack Allen (if he plays) all game long.  He's going to send at least 5 I believe on the majority of the passing plays.

Allen either has to learn to get rid of the ball quicker and to the shorter option or he's going to struggle again.

Tennessee doesn't have anywhere near the secondary NE has.

The threat of a running game would be nice, meaning NO MORE empty backfields would be nice.

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Vrabel is going to watch film on NE and attack Allen (if he plays) all game long.  He's going to send at least 5 I believe on the majority of the passing plays.

Allen either has to learn to get rid of the ball quicker and to the shorter option or he's going to struggle again.

i saw a stat that Allen was the most blitzed QB for 2019 and it was a pretty decent margin to 2nd place, not sure the last game inflated that stat or not but that's telling.

Dabs needs to work some blitz nullifying outlets into his plays and Allen needs to rely on them, do it like the Pats and just use the outlet till the D backs off.

Edited by Say When...
  • Like (+1) 1