Depending on the outcome of tomorrows game...AJ Green

Hebert19

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

There is a weird fascination with WR's being the end all.  I mean AJ Green is a great talent but he is always injured and on the last year of his deal.   We are trying to build for the future, this offense can be successful with the players they have.  They are like 8th or 9th in yards....just need to clean up the mistakes and they can be pretty good.  This team is building for the long term, not just this year.   We have the offseason and draft to potentially add talent at WR.  At this point I wish they would sign Duke just so I can stop hearing about it.  But then when he gets few looks it will be about that.

Josh is young and making the mistakes of someone who started only 16 games. I think he'll get better as the season progresses. Our wr have the ability to at least be top 1/2 in the NFL(including out te's). Josh has 3 tds and 1 is essentially a hand off to McKenzie. He could EASILY have 4 more tds. That would put him at 7 tds, up there with Brady and Rivers so far. Green is supposedly out til at least week 7 with ankle surgery, he's 31 and was hurt the last seasons(foot issue). I agree, we are building for the future and an injured 31 yr old wr isn't the right path. If Duke comes up and plays well, great. If not, we still have what it takes to make a playoff run and who knows what can happen. Josh has to hit those guys when they're open for tds though.We lost to NE by 6 points against NE. If Josh hits that open receiver for the td, we probably win that game. Josh should get better and we are a playoff team. Without AJ.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Welp John Ross is out multiple weeks now too down there in Cincy. Not sure if that affects their feelings on selling AJ but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ they’re toast either way.

They just IR'd him, out at least eight weeks. That should put the AJ Green talk that is never going to happen on hold.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/2/2019 at 10:24 AM, Dopey said:

Josh is young and making the mistakes of someone who started only 16 games. I think he'll get better as the season progresses. Our wr have the ability to at least be top 1/2 in the NFL(including out te's). Josh has 3 tds and 1 is essentially a hand off to McKenzie. He could EASILY have 4 more tds. That would put him at 7 tds, up there with Brady and Rivers so far. Green is supposedly out til at least week 7 with ankle surgery, he's 31 and was hurt the last seasons(foot issue). I agree, we are building for the future and an injured 31 yr old wr isn't the right path. If Duke comes up and plays well, great. If not, we still have what it takes to make a playoff run and who knows what can happen. Josh has to hit those guys when they're open for tds though.We lost to NE by 6 points against NE. If Josh hits that open receiver for the td, we probably win that game. Josh should get better and we are a playoff team. Without AJ.

Mahomes is young..........like 23 games?    And the Chiefs have never scored less than 26 points in any of them.    Just being young is not an excuse for QB's any more.  

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Mahomes is young..........like 23 games?    And the Chiefs have never scored less than 26 points in any of them.    Just being young is not an excuse for QB's any more.  

Not an excuse, just a reason. I'm pointing out that I think he'll get better. There's a reason for Mahomes' numbers. Mahomes is a better qb than Josh and it's not even close. KC has a better team offensively around him and it's not even close. KC has a better offensive mind coaching them and it's not even close. Why would you even put them in the same conversation? The main point of my post is we don't need Green.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Ummm look at who Mahomes plays with on offense. So much talent around him its unreal. In Andy Reid's system. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Not an excuse, just a reason. I'm pointing out that I think he'll get better. There's a reason for Mahomes' numbers. Mahomes is a better qb than Josh and it's not even close. KC has a better team offensively around him and it's not even close. KC has a better offensive mind coaching them and it's not even close. Why would you even put them in the same conversation? The main point of my post is we don't need Green.

If you think that one of the reasons Mahomes is better is because "KC has a better team offensively around him"..............which is THE MOST common refrain around here when comparing the two..........then I can't see why they don't need a player like Green.

That falls in the "he's good because of Andy Reid offensive mind" but "McD isn't holding Josh Allen back" circle of logic.

The rule of thumb for elevating young QB's is put big talent around them...........Rams, Eagles, Bears, Chiefs and Texans have loaded up for their QB's in year 2 and flourished.     The Bills have a pedestrian group of playmakers.........that's not what's been working.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If you think that one of the reasons Mahomes is better is because "KC has a better team offensively around him"..............which is THE MOST common refrain around here when comparing the two..........then I can't see why they don't need a player like Green.

That falls in the "he's good because of Andy Reid offensive mind" but "McD isn't holding Josh Allen back" circle of logic.

The rule of thumb for elevating young QB's is put big talent around them...........Rams, Eagles, Bears, Chiefs and Texans have loaded up for their QB's in year 2 and flourished.     The Bills have a pedestrian group of playmakers.........that's not what's been working.

I don't think anyone can disagree with this, irrespective of their opinion on Green.   They will though...because it's the way things are on this forum.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...according to TBD draft pundits, isn't the 2020 WR class termed "one of the best in recent years"?......thought I read where 'Bama is fertile grounds......so why not use pick(s) in 2020 versus trades?...did I miss the memo?.....

Did you miss the game where Josh Allen got knocked around like a pinball and sent into concussion protocol last Sunday while his diminutive receiving corps was thoroughly covered?

This is why a player like AJ Green is valued...........even when he's covered it's a sound decision to throw the ball to him.

I'm not even a huge AJ Green fan but when you finally get your hands on a talented young QB after 25 years of "trying" you don't just say "wait til next years draft",  IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I didn't say Mahomes is better because of the offense around him. You mentioned Mahomes' numbers and I gave 3 reasons why his numbers are better. I said Mahomes is a better QB, period. And it's not even close. I said KC has a better offensive team and I said KC has a better offensive mind coaching them. I also explained that I don't want a broke down 31yr old wr. who just had ankle surgery this summer. Not to mention a foot issue that kept him out of multiple games last year. Especially if we have to give up a meaninful draft pick. I'm all for adding talent to help Josh, just not Green. As for Mcd not holding Allen back, you're right. But that's not even remotely close to what I said. I never said he's better than Josh because of Ried. I said he's just better than Josh. Period. Pretty sure that's what I wrote, but I'll check...

Yep, that's what I wrote. But again, my main point and what this thread is about, I don't think we need old broke down 31 yr old Green.

56 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I don't think anyone can disagree with this, irrespective of their opinion on Green.   They will though...because it's the way things are on this forum.

I don't disagree with adding talent to make us better. I'm all for it, just not Green. JMO. 

Edited by Dopey

26 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

So that is fake right?  I don't twitter but there is no actual link that takes you to the story or interview where he said that.

Yeah I think TheRealAllensNutsack is the legit one

27 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I didn't say Mahomes is better because of the offense around him. You mentioned Mahomes' numbers and I gave 3 reasons why his numbers are better. I said Mahomes is a better QB, period. And it's not even close. I said KC has a better offensive team and I said KC has a better offensive mind coaching them. I also explained that I don't want a broke down 31yr old wr. who just had ankle surgery this summer. Not to mention a foot issue that kept him out of multiple games last year. Especially if we have to give up a meaninful draft pick. I'm all for adding talent to help Josh, just not Green. As for Mcd not holding Allen back, you're right. But that's not even remotely close to what I said. I never said he's better than Josh because of Ried. I said he's just better than Josh. Period. Pretty sure that's what I wrote, but I'll check...

Yep, that's what I wrote. But again, my main point and what this thread is about, I don't think we need old broke down 31 yr old Green.

I don't disagree with adding talent to make us better. I'm all for it, just not Green. JMO. 

You said not having offensive talent around him "was a reason" and I said if it "was a reason" then why isn't a better offensive player needed?

Get rid of as many reasons as possible.

That's reasoning.

Sound reasonable?:beer: