If the Bills were to trade up......

This question is mostly for the Matt Jones people out there like myself.

Would you be against trading up for him?

According to Sports Inc. (and just a hunch), the Shelton for Henry and swaps of our 2nd's will go through. From there, i'd like to see us try and trade our 44th pick in the 2nd (from AZ), our 4th, and a late round pick in next year's draft to San Diego at #28 (who are sitting pretty with two first round picks and a lot of help needed).

I think if we want Jones, it's imperative for us to get in front of Pittsburgh (at #30) and Phili (at #31).

If you're not a Jones guy, then would you at least like to see a trade like that go through? And who would be your REALISTIC ideal pick?

It is a good question, and i don't think i would have minded the investment of trading up for Jones one bit. If you had asked me some weeks ago, i think i would have said no i wouldn't have done it, but i have to admit that Jones has won me over.

The arguement of work out warrior and player without a position is of course valid, but from the little i have seen on video clips of him and from what i have read, i think he is worth the gamble.

The possibilites of a Antonio Gates (limited WR/TE experience, but with basketball hands. Not exactly sure how much basketball Jones has actually played, but understand it is some), with more speed, a few extra inches of height, and with seemingly at least as good hands and vertical leap, is very tempting indeed.

If he was limited his first season to only jumping high in the air pulling down TD jumpballs in the endzone, i think i could live with that :ph34r:.

In addition to being a potential great reciever, he fits the bill of a hybrid player at the QB position that MM and TC seem to like for trick plays. So imagining TD and the rest of the staff looking long and hard at Jones is not very far fetched at all.

And i agree with your assesment of Pitt and Phil, we probably would have to get above those teams to be in a position to draft Jones. Think with his work outs and potential he could very well have moved himself into the first round.

Think the only thing that scares me a little about Jones, is his laid back attitude. Need heart and desire to succseed and to last in the NFL, not enough with athletesism and skills. But being laid back as Jones apparently is, of course doesn't automatically mean you don't want to put in the extra effort or that you don't want to fight through the inevitable injuries, so would gladly take him with our first draft pick.

Think this link was posted here a day or two ago, but don't hurt to post it again. It has some video of different draft prospects, including some nice pieces on Jones.

Jones and others video

You might be correct on that one Alaska Darin, but how about working a trade with Polian and the Colts. I haven't given it much thought on who but at least with the Colts it wouldn't have to be all draft picks. They're for some defensive players so maybe they could be a good trading partner. Anybody have any suggestions on who we could afford to trade on defense? Keep in mind, we could trade a defensive player and draft pick(s) from this year and/or next year. Remember, the player doesn't necessarily have to be a blue chipper.

You might be correct on that one Alaska Darin, but how about working a trade with Polian and the Colts. I haven't given it much thought on who but at least with the Colts it wouldn't have to be all draft picks. They're for some defensive players so maybe they could be a good trading partner. Anybody have any suggestions on who we could afford to trade on defense? Keep in mind, we could trade a defensive player and draft pick(s) from this year and/or next year. Remember, the player doesn't necessarily have to be a blue chipper.

298029[/snapback]

Polian doesn't strike me as a guy who would want a Travis Henry-type back. He doesn't exactly fit their offense.

Add to that he didn't exactly leave Buffalo on the best of terms with the owner...

I didn't say anything about Travis Henry. I belive that the Arizona trade would have to go down and we swap the 2nd rd picks. With the #44 pick and a defensive player, who I asked for suggestions on, would get us in the neighborhood of value to the Colts. We would still have to add additional draft pick(s) from either this year and/or next year to make this an appealing trade for the Colts.

Now, who could we tyrade on defense and with what pick(s) in addition to the #44th pick?

We would need to trade somone they saw as young and with a lot of years left on our defense. That would mean someone like Nate Clements, Takeo Spikes or Aaron Shobel and I wouldn't be willing to trade any of them just to move up slightly in the back end of the 1st round.

Someone like London Fletcher would maybe tempt Indy, but I think our defense would take too big of a hit if we lost Fletcher. After losing Pat Williams I don't think I'd be comfortable losing another key member of our D in London Fletcher. Not to mention we don't have anything close to soemone who can replace London, which is a reason why I see us drafting a LB in the 3rd or 4th round.

I've thought about Fletcher, but then again I don't know enough about his replacement. The back-up LBs that are on the roster may or may not be capable.

Here's a scenario that may be feasible. The first thinng that would have to happen is making the TH/LJ Shelton trade and the swapping of the 2nd rd picks. Once that happens then we could package the #44 pick with Ryan Denney and our 3rd rd pick (#86). In return we would recieve the Colts' 1st rd. pick (#29) and their 2nd rd pick (#60). We then can proceed to take Matt Jones with the 1st rd pick and then select another DE with the #60 pick. There is more than one DE that could be picked at this slot. One that I'd be happy to have on our roster would be Oregon State's Bill Swancutt. This guy's motor never stops. His tenacity and work ethics are just the kind of guy you would want on your team. He's an animal on the field and the Buffalo faithful would go bonkers watching this blue collar workman going at it. Another prospect who could be there at the slot is Virginia's oft-injured Chris Canty. He has a ton of potential and upside. This guy is huge at 6'7". The injuries do scare me though.

This could be more than just a whim. The Colts have experimented with shuffling their D-line. They would like to move DE Raheem Brock to DT and relocate DE Robert Mathis to OLB. Denney could be a good addition for the Colts' and be tempting enough for them to contemplate this transaction.

We also have good, young prospects in our secondary, but this is a area that we may not afford. I really don't have a good enough idea on who's disposable and who is not. These scenarios are based on nothing other than my opinions, but I only offer these thoughts as a way to show insights as possibilities. I also bring up these ideas so others who have more knowledge than me, which should be many, could be creative in trade scenarios. Of course this is all predicated on Buffalo even wanting Jones in the first place.

Hey ndirish1978, how ya doin'? Sorry pal, I think that you may be missing the boat on this guy. Philly's eyeballing this guy real good. They are the exact team to select him. Strong defense, decent offense that likes a short passing game. Their TEs are either hurting and/or aging. This guy is perfect for them. I have alot of reasons for wanting the Bills to select him but I'll just say the main one. Mularkey. Here is the kind of coach who would really maximize Jones' abilities and talents. I would love to see a athlete like Jones showcase all of his contributions and not be wasted. Hey, what do I know, this Donahoe is probably going to draft a RB with our 1st pick anyways.

Iagre with ya Pete, that's why i said let's trade with the Colts. You think that Donahoe and Modrak would enjoy beating Pittsburgh AND philadelphia to the punch? That just would be an extra bonus not the theme. It still would be sweet though!

Hey ndirish1978, how ya doin'? Sorry pal, I think that you may be missing the boat on this guy. Philly's eyeballing this guy real good. They are the exact team to select him. Strong defense, decent offense that likes a short passing game. Their TEs are either hurting and/or aging. This guy is perfect for them. I have alot of reasons for wanting the Bills to select him but I'll just say the main one. Mularkey. Here is the kind of coach who would really maximize Jones' abilities and talents. I would love to see a athlete like Jones showcase all of his contributions and not be wasted. Hey, what do I know, this Donahoe is probably going to draft a RB with our 1st pick anyways.

298226[/snapback]

i just don't think there is a boat w/ this guy.

think Eric Frost - still trying to transition to FS from quarterback.

heres another one for you....white guy..... great athlete.... fast, can jump.

something is not right. he's either way overrated or will be hurt

plus he is not a proven commodity. why waste a round 1 for that?

theres lots of talent in the draft, proven talent, at positions they have been playing for years

Iagre with ya Pete, that's why i said let's trade with the Colts. You think that Donahoe and Modrak would enjoy beating Pittsburgh AND philadelphia to the punch? That just would be an extra bonus not the theme. It still would be sweet though!

298230[/snapback]

is this a wouldn't it be nice post or a realistic thought?

this isn't a videogame where teams dont have independant thoughts. trades aren't that easy to come by...........for example we got lossman instead of Rothlessberg last year. Jacksonville wanted too much. we dropped back.

not everyone is willing to swap, esp if there is a player that they want w/ that pick

Well it all depends if Donahoe wants this guy. I really don't know, but neither does anyone else. TD proved that many times that if he wants somebody, he'll get him. It doesn't matter to him how it looks or what people think. Who campaigned for Mularkey and got him the job? Does Mularkey like slash players? How about the Colts' needs? Is defense a priority?

Jones could fill a few positions if he is the athlete that he appears. First, does Buffalo need a TE? I think so. He also could fill a 3rd WR role and a H-Back position. Sounds like it could be a pick well spent. At 6'6" he would be a instant redzone threat. I'm not even going to talk about the slash position and what kind of options he could create, it would be too endless.

Move that amputee Josh Reed to a pass catching/back-up RB. Another need in the draft filled.

Denney is a back-up and he's what, 27 soon to be 28? He should be a starter by now and he's not and he won't be. He does still has some value, so cash him in while we can.

While a CB and more defensive depth may be nice, it's not as critical as providing Losman with insulation. I suspect that Buffalo's 1st pick in the draft, where ever that may be, will be an another offensive weapon for JP. TE is the most obvious need on offense, so this is the position that I expect the Bills to fill first. If this proves to be true, what TE do you think would be worth our 1st pick?

I like the creativity that TD has been doing the few years so I guess that I'm just trying to figure out what his next shocking move will be in the draft. I haven't heard too many people coming up with any imaginative scenarios other than the David Baas and other well known OL that will be long gone by the time our first pick comes up at #55. So even if this is all BS, then just enjoy it for the entertainment aspect. If you don't think Jones or any of this is reasonable then I would love to hear what you or anyone else has to say for our 1st pick. The one thing I won't do is to belittle anyone for their thoughts and opinions.

I don't know if the Bills really want to trade up, beyond swapping picks with Arizona and moving up to #44. Moving up to the bottom of the first round would mean giving up our 3rd rounder in addition to our 2nd. For Matt Jones, a man without a position ?

I'm not saying he wouldn't eventually be a good player but this seems like a gamble pick for a team with extra picks on Day 1, not us with a shortage. We have too many needs ( C,CB,RB,DT etc. ) to sacrafice our entire Day 1 on this guy.

Sadly, I do have to say that when you put it that way, your logic, well just seems aw, er, mmm, well, it's logical? I'm giving up the Matt Jones cause. It's too bad, he'd be perfect in Buffalo. I can't wait for this draft to happen, the suspense is killing me.

From there, i'd like to see us try and trade our 44th pick in the 2nd (from AZ), our 4th, and a late round pick in next year's draft to San Diego at #28 (who are sitting pretty with two first round picks and a lot of help needed).

297794[/snapback]

Just like San Diego, we need lots of help to build depth in this team. We need

all those draft picks to fill roster spots. I don't see TD trading up this year.

He might trade down to get some more picks. We already have our 1st

rounder in JP this year. We don't need another one. We need depth at

RB, LB, CB, TE, OL, DL.

Sadly, I do have to say that when you put it that way, your logic, well just seems  aw, er, mmm, well, it's logical? I'm giving up the Matt Jones cause. It's too bad, he'd be perfect in Buffalo. I can't wait for this draft to happen, the suspense is killing me.

298320[/snapback]

Not so fast. If the Bills see him on the board with names like Baas, Spencer, Hawthorne and other targets already gone, then he's right back into play.

I don't get the idea of Pittsburgh wanting Jones, which is usually accompanied with the reasoning that they did well with Randel El. That is precisely the reason they wouldn't take Jones IMO. They don't need another Randel El, they need a polished receiver to go with Ward and Randel El.

I haven't been following what the Pit folks have been talking about so perhaps they do like Jones. I'm sure most teams are intrigued by him.

i just don't think there is a boat w/ this guy. 

think Eric Frost - still trying to transition to FS from quarterback.

heres another one for you....white guy..... great athlete.... fast, can jump.

something is not right.  he's either way overrated or will be hurt

plus he is not a proven commodity. why waste a round 1 for that?

theres lots of talent in the draft, proven talent, at positions they have been playing for years

298232[/snapback]

let's see his production after he's off the roids

Here's a scenario that may be feasible. The first thinng that would have to happen is making the TH/LJ Shelton trade and the swapping of the 2nd rd picks. Once that happens then we could package the #44 pick with Ryan Denney and our 3rd rd pick (#86). In return we would recieve the Colts' 1st rd. pick (#29) and their 2nd rd pick (#60).

298215[/snapback]

I know we are just thinking out loud, but what do the Colts get in this scenario. We get their first and second, in essense they go from picking #29 to #44, and then from # 60 to #86 . Oh and we thorw a guy who very well may not see the field very often here and who we all think sucks. Cmon guys who in their right mind would do this deal?

They have players that they want to relocate. How bad is Denney? I don't know, but I do know is that he is always battling for the starting position. Anyways, I gave up the crusade. Mark VI showed that it isn't a very good trade for Buffalo. As far as the Colts, well it might not have been enough compensation but I don't think that's it terribly off either. Maybe a pick from next year's draft could make a difference.

I don't know if the Bills really want to trade up, beyond swapping picks with Arizona and moving up to #44. Moving up to the bottom of the first round would mean giving up our 3rd rounder in addition to our 2nd. For Matt Jones, a man without a position ?

I'm not saying he wouldn't eventually be a good player but this seems like a gamble pick for a team with extra picks on Day 1, not us with a shortage. We have too many needs ( C,CB,RB,DT etc. ) to sacrafice our entire Day 1 on this guy.

298245[/snapback]

maybe he can challenge Coy Wire for a starting position somewhere. :)

It's Draft time, and I know everyone gets excited about Trading Up...But I would rather see TD/TM stay put, or better yet ADD Draft Picks...That being said...

The move up to #44 likely means the Bills get a (as in one) Prospect who may help a bit more at an area of Need... IMHO this Roster is in Need of potential bodies in numbers, but if that's the Deal TD is going to make, no big deal...No net loss of Draft Picks... Trading Up (above and beyond the Henry scenerio) means giving away Picks...Without a 1st Rounder already, why would the Bills give up more Picks to move up further? Anyway...

With the move up to #44 I'm hoping TD/TM have a DT or CB in mind...I just think with the assumed addition of Shelton, filling the Prime Needs on the Defensive Side is more important right now... The names that seem to hover around the #44 area at CB and DT are CB's Bryant McFadden, Marlin Jackson, Eric Green, and Fabian Washington, and DT's Mike Patterson, Atiyyah Ellison, and Anttaj Hawthorne. I've seen Mocks that have Jackson, Washington, Patterson, and Hawthorne go in the Late 1st, but at least one of those 4 will likely still be around at #44. The Mock Draft Muncher has Jackson at #34, Washington at #33, and Hawthorne at #30. As far as Players I've seen, I really liked McFadden, Jackson, and Peterson. As far as what I've read, all have strong upsides, with the possible exception of Ellison...

Because there always seems to be a run at DB in the Late 1st-Early 2nd Area (and because I trust the Muncher), I'm going to assume Wahington, and Jackson are off the Board at #44...I'll also assume that someone takes a shot at Hawthorne from 1-43...In my mind that leaves Green, Patterson and McFadden as possibilities at #44...From there, I'll leave it up to TD/TM... :lol:

I don't get the idea of Pittsburgh wanting Jones, which is usually accompanied with the reasoning that they did well with Randel El. That is precisely the reason they wouldn't take Jones IMO. They don't need another Randel El, they need a polished receiver to go with Ward and Randel El.

I haven't been following what the Pit folks have been talking about so perhaps they do like Jones. I'm sure most teams are intrigued by him.

298345[/snapback]

Plexiglass was a tall, talented, lazy receiver who opened up the midfield for Hines Ward. Jones is taller, more talented, much more faster, motivated receiver that will open up the midfield much more then Plexiglass and enable Hines to have an even better year. Pitt-Plexiglass+Jones=much better offense!