Colts Extend Brissett

2 hours ago, Doc said:

If he had told them back in March?  What do you think they would have done?  Again Brissett is no one's Plan A.

Luck was Plan A.  Brissettt Plan B.

Just answer the simple question doc.  What would they have done in April--that's months ago?

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

He would have been a free agent after this year with the potential that they could head into an uncertain 2020 offseason.  This is a Rob Johnson/Ryan Fitzpatrick sort of deal that does not keep them from moving on if they see fit.  Reich has been talking him up all summer, calling him a top 20 QB.  There is a legit scenario where this works out well for them but I would not say it's more than 50/50.

They are essentially tagging him a year early to preserve being able to use the tag in 2022.

call me crazy, but I’d rather just tag him for real next year if you really want him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Luck was Plan A.  Brissettt Plan B.

Just answer the simple question doc.  What would they have done in April--that's months ago?

Why do you keep perseverating on April?  Again I've been saying that he's been contemplating retirement well before April since you don't retire over a calf strain.  I don't know how many more ways I can say this.  But what no one can deny is his timing was incredibly poor.  He should have either done it just after last season ended or grown a pair and tried to rehab and finish the season and then leave to give the team a chance at a real option.  He didn't have a life-threatening injury or even one that would leave him permanently debilitated.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

They are essentially tagging him a year early to preserve being able to use the tag in 2022.

call me crazy, but I’d rather just tag him for real next year if you really want him.

You don't tag an alleged "top-20" QB.  The chances of him proving to be worth a franchise tag after the season are close to nil and I'd have just let him play out the season on his existing contract.

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Why do you keep perseverating on April?  Again I've been saying that he's been contemplating retirement well before April since you don't retire over a calf strain.  I don't know how many more ways I can say this.  But what no one can deny is his timing was incredibly poor.  He should have either done it just after last season ended or grown a pair and tried to rehab and finish the season and then leave to give the team a chance at a real option.  He didn't have a life-threatening injury or even one that would leave him permanently debilitated.

You don't tag an alleged "top-20" QB.  The chances of him proving to be worth a franchise tag after the season are close to nil and I'd have just let him play out the season on his existing contract.

Because before April, absolutely no chance the Colts could have known. And there’s no evidence, zero point zero, that Luck was ready to retire then.  You fabricated d that completely.  There was no calf injury before April. 

So anyway...stop dancing around and answer an incredibly basic question 

Edited by Mr. WEO

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Because before April, absolutely no chance the Colts could have known. And there’s no evidence, zero point zero, that Luck was ready to retire then.  You fabricated d that completely.  There was no calf injury before April. 

So anyway...stop dancing around and answer an incredibly basic question 

The only one dancing is you.  I said this is all on Luck for not telling them sooner or not finishing out the season and retiring after it.  Using a calf strain as an excuse to retire 2 weeks before the season started is lame.

25 minutes ago, Doc said:

Well, that’s kind of my point. If he’s good you still have 3 years of control on a yearly option. Committing to 2020 now to preserve control in a 4th season seems unneeded

9 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Why, why, why, why,why, 1,000 times why would you pay Brissett when you could just franchise him or pay him at the end of the season IF he has a good year. The Colts are so terribly mismanaged.

The franchise tag for a QB was about $25M this year.  The Colts gave him 2 years and $30M with $20M guaranteed. If Brissett plays well there is NO WAY that they were getting him for that price. They already have the most cap room in the NFL so they hedged. They got him for a fraction of what he would have commanded if he played well. At the same time, his contract means NOTHING in the grand scheme of things to the Colts. It won’t prevent them from making a single decision that they want to make. I could not disagree with you more on this topic.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The franchise tag for a QB was about $25M for a QB this year.  The Colts gave him 2 years and $30M with $20M guaranteed. If Brissett plays well there is NO WAY that they were getting him for that price. They already have the most cap room in the NFL so they hedged. They got him for a fraction of what he would have commanded if he played well. At the same time, his contract means NOTHING in the grand scheme of things to the Colts. It won’t prevent them from making a single decision that they want to make. I could not disagree with you more on this topic.

That's fine but I don't see Brissett being anything but a fringe backup QB and it will show. All I can say is 2017 season 4-12. There was no reason to pay this guy.

8 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

That's fine but I don't see Brissett being anything but a fringe backup QB and it will show. All I can say is 2017 season 4-12. There was no reason to pay this guy.

There is no reason not to either. The gamble is him playing well and commanding a big salary. The downside of this contract is nothing. It’s doesn't preclude one single decision that they wanted to make. If he plays well (or even okay) you are looking at $22M plus EASILY. They gave him $15M. There is no risk.

27 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Well, that’s kind of my point. If he’s good you still have 3 years of control on a yearly option. Committing to 2020 now to preserve control in a 4th season seems unneeded

22 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The franchise tag for a QB was about $25M this year.  The Colts gave him 2 years and $30M with $20M guaranteed. If Brissett plays well there is NO WAY that they were getting him for that price. They already have the most cap room in the NFL so they hedged. They got him for a fraction of what he would have commanded if he played well. At the same time, his contract means NOTHING in the grand scheme of things to the Colts. It won’t prevent them from making a single decision that they want to make. I could not disagree with you more on this topic.

The Colts gave him $20M guaranteed.  The better option would have been to let him play for $2M this season, see how it goes, and if he plays better than (the not-so-ringing endorse of being) a "top-20 QB," then franchise him for $28M next year, if not work on a long-term deal.  It's about the same outlay of money over 2 years and gives them an easy out if he sucks this year.  And if he sorely outplays the $15M/year contract this year, he'll likely hold out for more anyway. 

Edited by Doc

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Colts gave him $20M guaranteed.  The better option would have been to let him play for $2M this season, see how it goes, and if he plays better than (the not-so-ringing endorse of being) a "top-20 QB," then franchise him for $28M next year, if not work on a long-term deal.  If he outplays the $15M contract this year, he'll likely hold out for more anyway. 

Disagree when you have $100M plus in cap space. These decisions aren’t made in a vacuum. The Brissett decision was insurance. If he plays poorly it costs you nothing but Irsay’s money. It doesn’t impact any football decisions. If he plays well you are insulated. He won’t hold out because they did well by him. There is NO risk for the Colts with this decision.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Disagree when you have $100M plus in cap space. These decisions aren’t made in a vacuum. The Brissett decision was insurance. If he plays poorly it costs you nothing but Irsay’s money. It doesn’t impact any football decisions. If he plays well you are insulated. He won’t hold out because they did well by him. There is NO risk for the Colts with this decision.

Just because you have money, it doesn't mean you should waste it.  And Reich couldn't even bring himself to say Brissett could be a top-10 QB.  I just don't see him in their long-term plans.  But we'll find out and at the end of the day, not my team.

19 minutes ago, Doc said:

Just because you have money, it doesn't mean you should waste it.  And Reich couldn't even bring himself to say Brissett could be a top-10 QB.  I just don't see him in their long-term plans.  But we'll find out and at the end of the day, not my team.

We all buy insurance. My house is about 10 feet above the street but I buy flood insurance. It likely isn’t worth the money that I spend but if things go sideways I will be more than safe. If nothing happens I wasted some money but it didn’t impact the way that I live my life.  

The Brissett signing is pretty much the same thing. The Colts gave him the contract of a bridge guy. They had something like $128M of cap space next year. This doesn’t impact ANY football decisions. It is strictly insurance. There is no downside for the Colts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I am having trouble linking to my post on the last page for some reason but you should read the Warren Sharp story on the 2017 Colts. They weren't as bad as it seemed. 

I just don't understand why people are so perplexed by this deal. It isn't a panic move by the Colts, but it allows them not to panic about the long term while they still have a competitive roster.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We all buy insurance. My house is about 10 feet above the street but I buy flood insurance. It likely isn’t worth the money that I spend but if things go sideways I will be more than safe. If nothing happens I wasted some money but it didn’t impact the way that I live my life.  

The Brissett signing is pretty much the same thing. The Colts gave him the contract of a bridge guy. They had something like $128M of cap space next year. This doesn’t impact ANY football decisions. It is strictly insurance. There is no downside for the Colts.

No downside whatsoever. It's a short term deal for a team that has zero issues with the cap. That's exactly what he is; a bridge guy. A lot like Tyrod in that regard. Reich appears to be a great "young" coach and they have the most talent across the board they've had in years. They are not a team that is going to tank at this point in time. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc said:

Because the calf strain started in April, by any account.  So if he retired as soon as he got back from Europe, what would they have done differently.  That would mean that they would have had not 2 weeks, but 3 months before preseason to do something else but give Brissett all the starting reps from day 1.

There is NO indication he was ready to retire after 39 TDs, a 10 win season and a playoff win in his comeback year.  You are (perseverating) making that up because you can't answer my simple question without acknowledging the obvious. 

9 hours ago, Doc said:

You insist that he wasn't even in the Colts short term plans, despite all of the overwhelming evidence (20+ million reasons) that he is