Colts Extend Brissett

11 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

Peterman and Kizer are Terrible STARTERS.  Brissett is a Terrible STARTER. Brisset is a good backup. You don't give good backups 15M a year.  

Hoyer is making 12M for 3 years.  Brissett is making 30M for 2 years.  Hoyer is just as good if not better than Brissett.  This is not rocket science. When Hoyer takes his spot this will all make sense, if it doesn't already. There was no reason to give Brissett a starting QB contract based off his past performances. He is a backup. He should have just been forced to play under his contract until he proved (maybe through 8 games) he can start.  He will be on the bench by week 5. He is not a good staring QB because he is not a starting QB. Period. The Colts MUST draft a QB or get a REAL QB in free agency. They are not winning with these two guys. No reason to pay either of them more than $4M a year.

No offense, but anyone that thinks Peterman and Kizer aren’t terrible is going to have a tough time talking QBs around here. They are the worst 2 QBs in the league.

Brissett is a young QB that has shown some promise. The Colts paid him bridge QB money to see if he can be the guy. They have the most cap space in the league so they aren’t in any trouble because of it. It’s the same thing that the Jags did with Bortles last year (and he had a much longer resume of poor play).  The Colts are also trying to portray stability as they still need to recruit. Paying Brissett the going rate for a bridge QB is a good start. This is a weird hill to die on.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No offense, but anyone that thinks Peterman and Kizer aren’t terrible is going to have a tough time talking QBs around here. They are the worst 2 QBs in the league.

Brissett is a young QB that has shown some promise. The Colts paid him bridge QB money to see if he can be the guy. They have the most cap space in the league so they aren’t in any trouble because of it. It’s the same thing that the Jags did with Bortles last year (and he had a much longer resume of poor play).  The Colts are also trying to portray stability as they still need to recruit. Paying Brissett the going rate for a bridge QB is a good start. This is a weird hill to die on.

They are a 3rd string QB and a 3rd string QB on the IR. Who cares if they are the worst in the league. They are supposed to be, and they make no money.  Brissett is TERRIBLE. He was a backup for a reason. He will be 0-5 or 1-4 at best at their bye.  There was no reason to give him a 30M 2 year contract.  No reason at all. He is going to be bench at the bye and cut at the end of the year.  Anybody can see this coming. He could have done the same thing under his old contract.

2 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

Edited by FUTURIST

2 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

They are a 3rd string QB and a 3rd string QB on the IR. Who cares if they are the worst in the league. They are supposed to be, and they make no money.  Brissett is TERRIBLE. He was a backup for a reason. He will be 0-5 or 1-4 at best at their bye.  There was no reason to give him a 30M 2 year contract.  No reason at all.

I’d be happy to wager on that if you are interested? Over/under 1.5 wins at the Colts bye

FWIW, I bet the Colts under 7.5 wins. I’m betting on them not being very good but Brissett is WAY better than you are giving him credit for. He’s right there with current starters like Winston, Mariota, Keenum, Flacco, etc... He’s not some scrub that is going to lose his job to Brian Hoyer!! 

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d be happy to wager on that if you are interested? Over/under 1.5 wins at the Colts bye

FWIW, I bet the Colts under 7.5 wins. I’m betting on them not being very good but Brissett is WAY better than you are giving him credit for. He’s right there with current starters like Winston, Mariota, Keenum, Flacco, etc... He’s not some scrub that is going to lose his job to Brian Hoyer!! 

If you think he is on the level with Flacco you are insane.  The point is they did not have to pay Brissett. He was under contract. When he reverts back to being a backup after the bye, he will be earning starting money.  Just stupid.

Week 1 @ Chargers. LOSS

Week 2 @Titans LOSS

Week 3 Falcons LOSS

Week 4 Raiders WIN (although 60-40)

Week 5 @Chiefs LOSS

1-4 or 0-5. Guaranteed.

They will then lose their next three against Broncos, Texans, and Steelers.

They are staring 1-7 or 0-8 in the face. There was no need to give Brissett a new contract.

Edited by FUTURIST

13 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

They are a 3rd string QB and a 3rd string QB on the IR. Who cares if they are the worst in the league. They are supposed to be, and they make no money.  Brissett is TERRIBLE. He was a backup for a reason. He will be 0-5 or 1-4 at best at their bye.  There was no reason to give him a 30M 2 year contract.  No reason at all. He is going to be bench at the bye and cut at the end of the year.  Anybody can see this coming. He could have done the same thing under his old contract.

The overall Indy roster is INFINITELY better than it was in 2017, and I also think Brissett has probably grown as a player. He's really not THAT bad. The 2017 offensive talent was lousy, and it's simply better now. That said, their early schedule is brutal: at SD, at TN, vs. ATL, vs. Oakland (that's a win), and at KC. They're going to be 2-3 at best.  

5 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

If you think he is on the level with Flacco you are insane.  The point is they did not have to pay Brissett. He was under contract. When he reverts back to being a backup after the bye, he will be earning starting money.  Just stupid.

Week 1 @ Chargers. LOSS

Week 2 @Titans LOSS

Week 3 Falcons LOSS

Week 4 Raiders WIN (although 60-40)

Week 5 @Chiefs LOSS

1-4 or 0-5. Guaranteed.

They will then lose their next three against Broncos, Texans, and Steelers.

They are staring 1-7 or 0-8 in the face. There was no need to give Brissett a new contract.

This is crazy talk. They have a really good roster top to bottom. 

7 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The overall Indy roster is INFINITELY better than it was in 2017, and I also think Brissett has probably grown as a player. He's really not THAT bad. The 2017 offensive talent was lousy, and it's simply better now. That said, their early schedule is brutal: at SD, at TN, vs. ATL, vs. Oakland (that's a win), and at KC. They're going to be 2-3 at best.  

This is crazy talk. They have a really good roster top to bottom. 

Crazy talk. They are going to be 1-4.  Then 1-7. Exactly what games are they going to win.  What was the point giving a new contract to a guy who could have started under his regular contract and then earned a new one by performance.  He is not a franchise QB. 

Edited by FUTURIST

5 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

Crazy talk. They are going to be 1-4.  Then 1-7. Exactly what games are they going to win.  What was the point giving a new contract to a guy who could have started under his regular contract and then earned a new one by performance.  He is not a franchise QB. 

Last year, they were 10th in defensive DVOA, 10th in points allowed, and 11th in yards allowed. And they played better on D as the season progressed. Even more important, they signed Justin Houston, who when healthy is one of the best pass rushers in the league. He is healthy now. Eberflus is a good coordinator too. Teams with top-level defenses don't start out 1-7.  Defense is by definition equally as important as offense.

Edited by dave mcbride

I thought it was a smart move, this contract makes him the 19th highest paid QB in the league which is about right around where he should be, he was also on the last year of his contract so if he doesn't do well then they can draft a QB, if not then they draft a QB next season and let them battle it out for next season. There is also the possibility he could be good/great or a franchise guy you never know, it's really a win-win for them imo.

Everybody hating on Brissett should read Warren Sharp's breakdown of their 2017 season. Colts took a lead into the 4th quarter in 9 games and only won 2 of those games due to overly conservative coaching: https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/the-unbelievable-story-of-the-2017-colts/

Brissett under Reich with camp under his belt has a chance to be good this year. Not to mention he is only commanding $15 million/year. That's nothing for your starting QB and if he doesn't work for them they aren't committed longer than next year.

Edited by Big C
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

You keep pushing back what you are convinced was Luck's date he decided to retire.  First it was before Foles was signed.  Now it's.....2 years ago.  Of course you are making this all up.  Whether it was "calf pain" or not, doesn't matter.  He was tired of always being in pain, he said.  He got married, had money in the bank, a new pain pops up.  He tries to work through it.  He decides he doesn't want to.  Boom.

After the Colts beat the Titans to make the playoffs, there was this (USAT):

"As for Luck, the rebuilt quarterback who’s been forced to restart his career, he’s allowed in recent weeks how “fulfilling” this season has been for him. He never balked early in the year, vowing that he believed in Reich, believed in what this team was building. The results will come, he promised.

He was right. Sixteen games into the comeback, and still more football to play.

“I’m glad I get to play the greatest team game in the world,” Luck said, “in the greatest locker room in the world.”

With that, the quarterback exited the same interview room he'd been so battered in three years ago beaming. His family was waiting. It was time to celebrate".

To you, that's code for:  "I'm seriously considering retirement".

Simply put, there's no evidence that Luck had made his final decision sooner than he did.  Certainly not before he got married.  None.

Also, the Colts plan B (which you called "a theory", LOL) was and clearly is Brissett.  Why you continue to dispute that..... 

I  could care less what Luck said.  If the prospect of rehabbing for a couple more months was enough to force him to retire, he's been checked-out for awhile now.  Which again goes back to the bad timing of his announcement leaving the Colts with Brissett, a guy who at best will be a bridge to another QB next year or the year after, if not being replaced by Hoyer somewhere around mid-season.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I  could care less what Luck said.  If the prospect of rehabbing for a couple more months was enough to force him to retire, he's been checked-out for awhile now.  Which again goes back to the bad timing of his announcement leaving the Colts with Brissett, a guy who at best will be a bridge to another QB next year or the year after, if not being replaced by Hoyer somewhere around mid-season.

Ok here’s a simple question for you:  let’s say he knew 4 months ago, in  May.  Or 5 months ago.  Or way back in March,  while marrying his sweetie,  when the calf issue began.....What would the Colts have done had he told them months ago (even knowing there’s no reason he himself actually knew he was done back then)?

other than beg him to reconsider and hold off on a final decision, of course....

20 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Thats exactly right. They paid him prematurely IMO. However their cap situation allows them to do that, IIRC. 

I think it may very well turn out to be a premature mistake. But given their current cap situation, it’s a potential mistake that may be worth some risk. I suppose they’d rather be sure they can keep him if all goes well this year. If he bombs, they can have their back up QB and still have the money available to get a starter elsewhere 

Good point, I just wonder why you don't wait until they play 5 games and get to the bye.  If he performs, you pay him.  If he doesn't you just play out the season. That team is not going anywhere, and he isn't commanding more than he got even if the team is 5-0.  They now have the nightmare scenario of having to look like idiots if they start 1-4 or even 0-5 and have to replace him.  Good for him though.  If people are going to pay you, take it. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Ok here’s a simple question for you:  let’s say he knew 4 months ago, in  May.  Or 5 months ago.  Or way back in March,  while marrying his sweetie,  when the calf issue began.....What would the Colts have done had he told them months ago (even knowing there’s no reason he himself actually knew he was done back then)?

other than beg him to reconsider and hold off on a final decision, of course....

If he had told them back in March?  What do you think they would have done?  Again Brissett is no one's Plan A.

20 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

The crappy career w/l record and lack of dynamic playmaking do not inspire confidence but I think there is a good chance that Brissett in year 4, under Frank Reich's coaching staff, looks way better than previous versions. 

Enough for them to keep him as the starter and/or not regret giving him that much money?

He would have been a free agent after this year with the potential that they could head into an uncertain 2020 offseason.  This is a Rob Johnson/Ryan Fitzpatrick sort of deal that does not keep them from moving on if they see fit.  Reich has been talking him up all summer, calling him a top 20 QB.  There is a legit scenario where this works out well for them but I would not say it's more than 50/50.

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Enough for them to keep him as the starter and/or not regret giving him that much money?