Other Team Cuts You Want

RyanC883

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I was referring to looking at numbers from this pre-season.

Seriously?

I mean I don't want to be dismissive. Did he come off a bit injury from last year? Because then I'd be concerned. But a career good punter having an off preseason doesn't even register with me, if there are no extenuating circumstances.

Edited by The Dean

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes seriously.  They're lousy and he's 34 years old so there's concern that he's in decline.

Preseason 1:   2 punts for 47.5 gross average, 43.5 net

Preseason 2:   3 punts for 42.3 gross, 42.3 net with 2 inside the 20

Sounds pretty good to me...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

For some reason, Colquitt didn't play in the final two pre-season games.   Had 5 punts total in games 1 and 2.    Maybe salary related and the were trying to save money.   

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/britton-colquitt-7608/

Curious...

Probably decided to go with the rookie after game 2 and give him more game practice, and not risk BQ getting injured.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Preseason 1:   2 punts for 47.5 gross average, 43.5 net

Preseason 2:   3 punts for 42.3 gross, 42.3 net with 2 inside the 20

Sounds pretty good to me...

It puts him at 24th gross and 18th net. 

I'd like to know more about Bryan Anger.  15th in gross in pre-season but poor net.  Was that bad coverage?

Edited by Doc

34 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yes seriously.  They're lousy and he's 34 years old so there's concern that he's in decline.

OK, then.

First of all, I don't think his preseason numbers are bad at all. Second, as a research/data guy, I would never make an evaluation solely based on stats, without knowing more about context. And didn't he only have 5 punts this preseason.

But more importantly, to dismiss a very good career based on a handful of preseason kicks seems a bit crazy to me. But to each his own, I guess. His age doesn't concern me at all, at this stage. He's a freaking punter.

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

Two of his 5 punts were to pin the other team inside the 20, hence the lower averages.

I like Anger as well, but he's always played for warm weather teams, so that might be a concern...

Edited by Lurker

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

Sounds like a "process" guy as well...

https://sports.yahoo.com/seattle-seahawks-wr-jaron-brown-165651138.html

"To run a route, to block, we put him in protection roles, not a lot of guys do that. So selfless, so all about the team, great teammate, really good player that we expect big things from this year."

Good size and speed.  Would the league let Buffalo assign the same jersey # to both J. Browns?  Put both on the field at the same time.  Opposing secondaries wouldn't know which CB to line up on which Brown. LOL  I suppose that would be too much to hope for from the No Fun League.

13 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Two of his 5 punts were to pin the other team inside the 20, hence the lower averages.

I like Anger as well, but he's always played for warm weather teams, so that might be a concern...

Fair enough.

58 minutes ago, Doc said:

Probably decided to go with the rookie after game 2 and give him more game practice, and not risk BQ getting injured.

I'd like to know more about Bryan Anger.  15th in gross in pre-season but poor net.  Was that bad coverage?

I’ll echo to simmer with preseason punt averages ?

7 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

The correct answer is obviously Kiko Alonso.

It would be very symmetrical if Kilo were on the Bills and Shady on the Eagles in 2019. 

Not that Kiko would be a great fit but just a poetic ending. 

7 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

WR Keelan Doss, Oakland. Absolutely shocked they waived him. He was catching everything in the pre-season. Looked really, really good. 

In Oakland, we saw Peterman look more than serviceable in preseason. I think there must be some trick photography being used during their games. I just can’t trust anybody on that field once we saw Peterman play so well

7 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

So how exactly does the whole waiver thing work?  If I remember correctly, vets with more than is it 3  years in the league who are cut today are immediate free agents, less than 3 years you go through waivers.

Does it also mean the 2nd a team makes a waiver claim, they need to release someone to stay at 53?  So say the Giants who are above the Bills in the waiver order can't claim a punter who was released, try him out, then decide to cut their present one or release the one they just claimed?  They'd likely as soon as they make the claim, release their current punter or someone else on the roster?

It's 4th year of credited service, not 3 where players become immediate FA when cut (it's actually more complicated than that - between Feb and the trade deadline...)

But yeah, basically - if a team makes a waiver claim and is awarded the player, they must immediately clear a spot on the active roster.  They don't get to try the guy out then throw him back in the pond if they don't like him.

2 hours ago, MR8 said:

I'd sign Jaron Brown immediately! 6'3", great size and speed.... He's what people HOPED Duke Williams would be, only he is it already and an NFL proven commodity.

I would really like this.  We could do worse than have the "Brown Brothers" for Allen to throw to. 

2 hours ago, WMDman said:

no he wasnt that was a false report, they put perry on IR

Senorise?  He was released with an injury settlement from IR