McBeane and draft timing

Dkollidas

15 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This is a lazy take.  The head coach needs to be both imo.  If you cant evaluate talent, you shouldnt be a head coach.

You have crossed over into the troll department at this point.  You are just trying to get a rise out of people.  Just give it a rest

Then why do teams have GMs? Why does the scouting department not overlap with the coaching? Why do so few people make the jump from one to the other? 

Sure, a science teacher and a math teacher do the same thing, and they even generally understand what the other does. But they have their specialties, and there is a reason they don't do both. 

You rely on the GM for specialized knowledge the coach doesn't have.  Sure, the coach has a general understanding, but that isn't specialized. 

And, lazy take? There isn't anything "lazy" about it.  

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I don't need to be anything outside of myself to see that you are just being a troll.  Regardless of what you "see".  No need to be pompous about anything, you are no better that us lowly Americans.

You view me as a such because I don't agree with you on the state of the Bills, there are socio-political parallels with the current state of our American discourse with many blinded by a certain form of derangement but I guess we won't get into that on a football forum.  

1 minute ago, Element115 said:

You view me as a such because I don't agree with you on the state of the Bills, there are socio-political parallels with the current state of our American discourse with many blinded by a certain form of derangement but I guess we won't get into that on a football forum.  

Image result for charlie brown wah wah

50 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Opposing views do not make one a troll, in fact, the ones always screaming troll are generally the fascists of the group.  

opposing views. get the ***** out of here. now, the former homer up there, I can tolerate his bs but you on the other hand, your eyes must be brown because your full of *****!

1 minute ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Image result for charlie brown wah wah

1 minute ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

opposing views. get the ***** out of here. now, the former homer up there, I can tolerate his bs but you on the other hand, your eyes must be brown because your full of *****!

And these responses are very predictable tbh.  Just jump on twitter and see for yourself.

7 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Element 115 is Moscovium, so you are definitely a Russian bot. It quickly decays into Nihonium. After that it decays into Whocaresium.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Element115 said:

And these responses are very predictable tbh.  Just jump on twitter and see for yourself.

how about you take a jump. you're closer to the ledge then I am and I'm looking forward to your fall. unfortunately though, you'll return with a new name and ugly avatar and continue to insight as you have been doing.

7 minutes ago, Element115 said:

where is DCTom when you need him.

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

McD is a coach, not a QB elevator. The guy they planned to hire and trust to evaluate the position wasn't with the team. We are not talking about a guarantee. Drafting your franchise QB is always a gamble. Even the best prospects fail half the time, and Mahomes was farrrrr from the best prospect.  It would be insane to make that gamble under those circumstances.  

You are overstating a lot in that post.  You’re also misleading when you assume there was no one in place to do proper scouting.  Quite frankly, if there wasn’t, then that’s on McD.  He came in here to lead and/or collaborate with those in place.  Even if he wanted to bring in his own GM (which Is bet he did), it was still his responsibility to make it a productive drat and season.

As for Mahomes the draft prospect, I’m not sure how anyone can support the Allen pick but not have advocated for Mahomes. They were both raw, both possessed rocket arms and had great physical tool.  The biggest known difference was that Mahomes was a lot more accurate. 

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Would you let your outgoing manager make the biggest decision in the company's history before he is fired on Monday?

I don’t think that outgoing manager made any decisions that draft. 

34 minutes ago, Element115 said:

No, because that is not comparable, like at all. Brady was basically a non-existent prospect.  And I do remember watching that draft and the Brady pick.

Was Mahomes a can't miss pick?  if so why wasn't every team maneuvering to get the # 1 pick to take him?  If Reaid felt that way why didn't he?

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Element 115 is Moscovium, so you are definitely a Russian bot. It quickly decays into Nihonium. After that it decays into Whocaresium.

It was a joint American-Russian venture to synthesize Element 115. It bears the Moscovium moniker only because of where it was synthesized.

Edited by Element115

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

You are overstating a lot in that post.  You’re also misleading when you assume there was no one in place to do proper scouting.  Quite frankly, if there wasn’t, then that’s on McD.  He came in here to lead and/or collaborate with those in place.  Even if he wanted to bring in his own GM (which Is bet he did), it was still his responsibility to make it a productive drat and season.

As for Mahomes the draft prospect, I’m not sure how anyone can support the Allen pick but not have advocated for Mahomes. They were both raw, both possessed rocket arms and had great physical tool.  The biggest known difference was that Mahomes was a lot more accurate. 

I actually advocated for both. Allen is bigger, stronger, and a more effective runner. We'll see if both work out or not.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

There was extremely little talk about Mahomes being a franchise QB coming out of college.  A high ceiling guy yes and with that assessment it means such a prospect has a long ways to go to realize his potential.  

He was touted as a boom or bust prospect with his inexperience being the main issue. He wasn’t a perfect prospect, but he was a damn good one - and a quality choice where we were picking. 

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Was Mahomes a can't miss pick?  if so why wasn't every team maneuvering to get the # 1 pick to take him?  If Reaid felt that way why didn't he?

The book on Mahomes coming out of college was similar to the book on Allen, however less raw and a much better college career. I don't think any team other than KC had him as a can't miss prospect.

26 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

That is a possibility...but who would Mahomes have been throwing to?  Mahomes is good...no doubt...but look at his supporting cast.  Having Tyreek Hill and Kelce to throw to helped his development tremendously.  Now they've added more speed in Williams.  Mahomes just has to throw the ball.  They will go get it.

I just don't think it would have looked that pretty on the Bills considering the supporting cast.

So don’t draft your QB when you have the chance, wait until everything else is in place? You must’ve been pissed off when the Bills took Allen then because they had less surrounding offensive talent at that point. You get him when you can. 

5 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t think that outgoing manager made any decisions that draft. 

Mahomes and Allen were similar prospects. If Mahomes came out Allen's year, I would have no problem with picking Mahomes over Allen. 

He literally did.  They got Trey (and others) and made the playoffs.  What would be asking too much is that make the career defining pick without HIS team. He made the most of that draft. But, inevitably, the QB he picks will define his time with the Bills and his reputation as a coach. Picking a QB half bind would have been breathtakingly negligent.  He will not get a second bite at that apple. He gets one shot. So when he takes that shot, he needed to be ready with his staff and his guys, so that he has alllll the information he needs. 

24 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Yes, yes indeed. I think your better served place may be in PPP. 

Image result for buh bye gif

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Mahomes and Allen were similar prospects. If Mahomes came out Allen's year, I would have no problem with picking Mahomes over Allen. 

He literally did.  They got Trey (and others) and made the playoffs.  What would be asking too much is that make the career defining pick without HIS team. He made the most of that draft. But, inevitably, the QB he picks will define his time with the Bills and his reputation as a coach. Picking a QB half bind would have been breathtakingly negligent.  He will not get a second bite at that apple. He gets one shot. So when he takes that shot, he needed to be ready with his staff and his guys, so that he has alllll the information he needs. 

Mahomes was a much better prospect than Allen. He certainly would’ve gone ahead of him.  Sorry, the “wait until he got HIS GM” excuse is just that.  It holds no water for me.  McD was in charge and it was his responsibility to get things right.  That includes the structure of the organization and the execution of the draft.  You can’t reasonably credit him for successful picks like Tre and executing a tradeback for good value, but not ding him for the opportunity costs he gave up. 

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Mahomes was a much better prospect than Allen. He certainly would’ve gone ahead of him.  Sorry, the “wait until he got HIS GM” excuse is just that.  It holds no water for me.  McD was in charge and it was his responsibility to get things right.  That includes the structure of the organization and the execution of the draft.  You can’t reasonably credit him for successful picks like Tre and executing a tradeback for good value, but not ding him for the opportunity costs he gave up. 

My guess is you have never been accused of being a smart man.  Dismissing explanations as "excuses" is childish. That really is a red flag for me that I'm speaking to an immature person. 

You are advocating that McDermott fire the staff and hire his own to do in a matter of months what every other team in the league does in a year. If you can't understand how asinine that suggestion is, there is really no helping you. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Element115 said:

Because the FO and coaching are continually evaluated, just like players.  Their past decisions add to the database used by fans and others to form opinions on the state of their favorite team(s).

play this game all you want, but don't act like a victim when you have to sign up for a 5th user name.  i like having you here because i think it's makes this place more interesting, but you really have a way of breaking down on a message board.  just a matter of time.

besides that, we know how you feel about mahomes.  at this point, i think we know that how well beane and company does, you'll always use this as your wild card to complain.  some people want to concentrate on strictly the negative while ignoring anything else.  the postesr that continually harp about the pick are doing so in hindsight.  i get it.  it would be great to have mahomes, but we don't.  now it's time to see what beane has actually done, and make decisions of his success based on the success of the team.  

35 minutes ago, Element115 said:

It was a joint American-Russian venture to synthesize Element 115. It bears the Moscovium moniker only because of where it was synthesized.

wow.  you watched a netflix special about bob lazar.  you...are...deep.

Edited by teef
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3