Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-Season Game 1

4 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Allen threw the ball from the 24 yard line and it landed at the 4.

It was not 7-10 yards.

Allen exposed Jones' ribcage in the middle of the field.  YOU DON"T DO THAT!!!!

It's pretty common knowledge even in HS.

The safety was 3 yards away, and Jones took two steps before he got hit.  If he secures the ball, he's in a position to take a hit.   

Using your logic, no QB should be throwing the ball in the middle of the field.

4 minutes ago, AllenLongBall said:

Of course so are many other things like play calling and dropped balls. 

Cam Newton has alway been around a career 59.0% completion percentage guy. But last year he jumped to 68%. McCaffery also caught 107 balls out of the backfield. I'd be curious to find out the difference between Cam's average air yards per attempt from 2018 compared to his other seasons.

Also Cam had an MVP season completing just under 60% of his passes. So we know a QB can still dominate with a low completion percentage. That said, 52% is probably not going to cut it unless Allen is unbelievable in other areas or the defense is ridiculously good. Hopefully we see him around 58-59% this year.

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Anyone hear why Harrison Phillips was playing deep in 4th quarter?  I thought that was unusual.  

Cross-training at 3-tech.  They only had a couple of players available.  Joe B addressed it in his Athletic article.

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Maybe Josh should just run down the field and hand the ball to Zay from now on.   

That was a good throw and any average WR catches that 9.5/10 times. 

I'm a fan of Josh but trying to make that a perfect throw is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

That pass hit him in the hands, in stride. A mediocre NFL WR catches it 9/10 times.

You left out "in your opinion."

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

I'm a fan of Josh but trying to make that a perfect throw is ridiculous.

Good God man, THAT is ridiculous. That pass was where it needed to be, perfect.

If you're saying otherwise, I have to believe you don't know what you're talking about.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Allen threw the ball from the 24 yard line and it landed at the 4.

It was not 7-10 yards.

Allen exposed Jones' ribcage in the middle of the field.  YOU DON"T DO THAT!!!!

It's pretty common knowledge even in HS.

WTF...do you know even know what that means?  

This is not exposing ribs.  You're not being serious are you?  Exposing ribs is when you lead your WR into a DB and he has to reach well above his head....which leads his ribs exposed.   Common sense LOL.

So the 

zay.JPG

This is exposing ribs. 

Ribs.jpg

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

Yeah, should have caught, tucked and got down. DB came in with forearm after Zay knee hit. Dirty hit?

Borderline illegal, but doesn't seem dirty to me.

1 hour ago, AllenLongBall said:

But it was not in stride...

Re-watch the play. Hit him clearly in stride. If that's not a pass that should be caught 100% of the time, then the guy trying to catch it is playing the wrong sport.

But let's not look at it through the lens of being Bills' fans; let's get the opinion of a neutral observer:

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, CuddyDark said:

That 2 yard line pass to Zay was behind him. If it's out in front it's a touchdown.

It was right on his hands and not an inch behind Jones.  If it was thrown in front of him it's either intercepted or Jones is rocked as he makes the catch.  That was a tremendous pass threading a narrow window down by the goal line. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It was not behind him.  He hit him exactly where it's supposed to go.  He had the momentum going towards the endzone and he stopped it himself when he dropped it.

If he throws it "more in the hole" as you say...that safety crushes him.  He's already lowering that shoulder.

Not true at all. The safety has the angle because of where the ball is placed. Zay stacked his corner. The ball should take him upfield into the end zone.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

I see people at my touch football league make that catch.  That throw is fine.  It's in a place where the DB cannot make a play on the ball.

Because no one can hit them. Put a 200lbs safety in the hole and if they catch it I'd agree with you.

4 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Good God man, THAT is ridiculous. That pass was where it needed to be, perfect.

If you're saying otherwise, I have to believe you don't know what you're talking about.

Believe what you want. Why do I care? I came to give my opinion. IMO that was a inaccurate pass. Catchable but made it more difficult for the receiver.

Edited by CuddyDark

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The Bills QB situation - So let's start with this.... Josh Allen wasn't perfect last night and it looked like a bit of a "knock the rust off" type performance with a couple of communication breakdowns with receivers leading to incompletions. But there were a couple of plays on which he showed nice poise and good patience in the pocket. Promising start. Matt Barkley came in an had himself a nice night - 9/14 for 126 and a score and looks rock solid as the Bills backup Quarterback. How many years is it since the Bills went into camp with an incumbent starter and solid backup at the most important position that they felt good about and then had neither of them crap the bed during camp and pre-season? Encouraging.

Great summary, thanks.  I know that it is the first pre-season game and they are being careful with Allen's usage, but I really would have loved to see him get one more series. He seems like the type of player that needs to warm up and get in a groove a bit.  I really felt that if he had gotten any more series, he would have really shown what he is capable of.  Kind of like when he took that last series at the Senior Bowl and had his best drive of the day.

That being said, I thought he looked very good and will look even better once he consistently practices and plays with the same group of guys every day.

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

It was right on his hands and not an inch behind Jones.  If it was thrown in front of him it's either intercepted or Jones is rocked as he makes the catch.  That was a tremendous pass threading a narrow window down by the goal line. 

The ball in that situation has to lead the WR into the endzone. Not out in front of him. He stacked the CB and was open. Wide open.

3 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Believe what you want. Why do I care? I came to give my opinion. IMO that was a inaccurate pass. Catchable but made it more difficult for the receiver.

if a receiver can't catch this pass, then he doesn't belong in the NFL.

Seriously.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

You enjoy being wrong? Because on this, you are.

If you read his posting history, your jaw will drop with some of the things he says.  Sometimes it's funny.

Just now, CuddyDark said:

The ball in that situation has to lead the WR into the endzone. Not out in front of him. He stacked the CB and was open. Wide open.

This is just bizarre dude....my god.