Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

Joe B: Ed Oliver looking the part

Recommended Posts

I just have a feeling that Oliver will be all over the place wreaking havoc...until teams figure him out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I just have a feeling that Oliver will be all over the place wreaking havoc...until teams figure him out.

 

"Figuring him out" will likely lead to opportunities for other players. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

"Figuring him out" will likely lead to opportunities for other players. 

Yes! I like that idea! total chaos!

Edited by Rocket94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I just have a feeling that Oliver will be all over the place wreaking havoc...until teams figure him out.

 

 

...so Ed "Too Small" Oliver could turn out to be....Ed "Not Too Small After All" Oliver....stay tuned........I'm in.........

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

 

...so Ed "Too Small" Oliver could turn out to be....Ed "Not Too Small After All" Oliver....stay tuned........I'm in.........

Oh yeah...me too! He looks like a spark plug!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

Oh yeah...me too! He looks like a spark plug!

 

 

...bet your azz I'd get the hell outta his way.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I think that's a good strategy as it has been for decades in the league

 

That's part of what I love about the NFL.  For all the pass-happy schemes and attention that QBs get, at the end of the day if you cannot run the ball and defend the run in the NFL, you are toast. 

 

Running up the middle and gaining good yardage is one of the harder things to do, but if you can do it then that threat is something the opposing defense HAS to account for on every play.  Likewise, it's also one of the easier plays to defend, and if your defense can't at least put up a fight in the middle of the trenches then that will filter down to the rest of your defense.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Capco said:

 

That's part of what I love about the NFL.  For all the pass-happy schemes and attention that QBs get, at the end of the day if you cannot run the ball and defend the run in the NFL, you are toast. 

 

Running up the middle and gaining good yardage is one of the harder things to do, but if you can do it then that threat is something the opposing defense HAS to account for on every play.  Likewise, it's also one of the easier plays to defend, and if your defense can't at least put up a fight in the middle of the trenches then that will filter down to the rest of your defense.  

Like the old saying goes: pass to score, run to win.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

 

...bet your azz I'd get the hell outta his way.......

I predict good things from Oliver.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m sure they will, so it will be interesting to see how the rotation goes. A game of cat and mouse (but with giant cats and mice!). I’m hoping his quick penetration will create havoc when they go away from him, which is all the more reason to go right at him. 

 

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

I think that's a good strategy as it has been for decades in the league and I'm sure we will see it early and as often as we can't hold up against it. 

Yeah it's the best way to attack these smaller 3 techs like E.O. and Aaron Donald. Donald is The Dude but you can make hay getting your linemen mauling downhill on him. After the way they abused us on the ground last year we can plan right now on Belichick/McDaniels/Scarnecchia pounding it inside.

 

Donald at least had a much more stout 1-tech in Suh next to him than Star is, it's going to be one of the most interesting things to watch week 4 from where I sit. Hopefully Derm has some kind of plan for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im seeing "running right at him" as some kind of strategy for opposing offenses

 

He graded out as a "A" run defender in college AS A NOSE TACKLE he is going to be 3 teching in the NFL where he is lined up over a cap......he is gonna be fine.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

 

Yeah it's the best way to attack these smaller 3 techs like E.O. and Aaron Donald. Donald is The Dude but you can make hay getting your linemen mauling downhill on him. After the way they abused us on the ground last year we can plan right now on Belichick/McDaniels/Scarnecchia pounding it inside.

 

Donald at least had a much more stout 1-tech in Suh next to him than Star is, it's going to be one of the most interesting things to watch week 4 from where I sit. Hopefully Derm has some kind of plan for it?

I agree. People around him will have to play well, especially our LBs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Im seeing "running right at him" as some kind of strategy for opposing offenses

 

He graded out as a "A" run defender in college AS A NOSE TACKLE he is going to be 3 teching in the NFL where he is lined up over a cap......he is gonna be fine.

I think he will be fine, too. But if I were an opposing OC, I’d make it a point to try to manhandle him as often as possible and try wearing him down a bit. Easier said than done, but it’s a time honored strategy. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I just have a feeling that Oliver will be all over the place wreaking havoc...until teams figure him out.

the new bermuda triangle?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey...why not! If the defense gets good enough they will need a nick name!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034348/article/leonard-floyd-among-young-pass-rushers-set-to-break-out-in-19

 

In this four-part series, NFL Network analysts Willie McGinest, Terrell Davis, Reggie Wayne and Gil Brandt examine youngsters who are poised for a breakout campaign. Today, Willie McGinest identifies pass rushers.

Ed Oliver, DT, Buffalo Bills

2019 projection: Seven sacks.

Oliver is in prime position to become a feared pass rusher early in his NFL career. The defensive tackle has the shortest path to the quarterback, and his quickness and explosive get-off should allow him to frequently win against guards. The 6-2, 287-pounder has good hands, moves well in the phone booth and won't be a sitting target in Sean McDermott's defense. Like Allen, Oliver could be a Defensive Rookie of the Year candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dat said:

moves well in the phone booth 

 

 

I love that analogy ... Never heard it used b4, but I like it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d flinch, too.

 

I mean, the man stood on a ***** horse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I’d flinch, too.

 

I mean, the man stood on a ***** horse.

Stood on an F**king horse? That took a lot of courage in addition amazing athletic ability just to stay on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...