No Women's World Cup thread?

6 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Replay is the devil

I foresaw this in the 80s when the NFL started this crap.  I was the only one of my friends who thought this was a bad idea.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, stony said:

+1. 

The bylaws of VAR call for it to be implemented for "clear and obvious" errors by the officials.  I'd argue it was used to good effect during the Men's WC in Russia last summer. 

However, as some leagues and the most recent use in the women's WC have shown, it's become both a crutch for poor officiating and a way for officials to enforce the rulebook to the proverbial 'T.'  Things like incidental contact, clutching & grabbing, and close Offside are now routinely reviewed.  Hardly "clear and obvious" situations.  Some media members have even been told that officials are instructed to let close Offside situations go uncalled because they now have the benefit of replay.  Again, hardly "clear and obvious."

Totally agree with this. Although even in the Russia world cup there were incidents that I thought got overturned that should have stayed with the on field decision. There was a late Spain goal in a group game by Iago Aspas that was given offside on the field and then overruled and awarded by VAR. It was a mm decision. To me VAR is not there to fix that. I think the same about the Raheem Sterling goal that was disallowed in the dying seconds of the Champions League final this season. 

We have VAR in the Premier League from August. They are saying the bar for overturning decisions will be "set very high." I will believe it when I see it, but I certainly hope that is true. 

Congratulations to Team USA by the way. I think they were the best team in the tournament. I think England were the second best team in the tournament and it was a shame that the draw necessitated that match up in the semi rather than the final. We are getting closer, but we are not quite there yet. Same is true of our men's side too.... though obviously we are some way ahead of the US on that score.... ?

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Appropriated the term, haven't listened to him since like 1990.

It's an accurate term.

Actually it's overused to describe any woman who stands up for herself. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 7/7/2019 at 12:11 PM, Augie said:

Congratulations on winning the World Cup!   

Anyone remember that?   ?

Might be the very first time I have wanted a  US team to lose (except International Hockey when US faced Canada) because they are so unlikable, for a couple reasons.

1 minute ago, Dante said:

Might be the very first time I have wanted a  US team to lose (except International Hockey when US faced Canada) because they are so unlikable, for a couple reasons.

And you are free and welcome to have those feelings. I don’t dislike the team (and I doubt either of us personally know all about everyone associated withy the program) as much as I dislike that all of sports have gotten political. I try to stay clear of that stuff and think it has no place in my entertainment. 

If, at some point, it gets to be too much for me, I’ll vote with my feet (and dollars) and move on, allowing them to kill their Golden Goose. 

I think the whole political thing is overblown somewhat. The reporter asked Rapinoe a question knowing what she would answer, to generate this response. It's not like it was a shock that she said what she said, this was all hyped up by the media for the most part.

OTOH, she could have handled her response with a little more class.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, The Senator said:

(I love winners, until they turn into complete a**holes - and embarass the USA on the world’s stage.)

Oh, the irony. Monkey see, Monkey do.

Wow... She's (M.Rapinoe) only doing what she sees to be the new norm. She is being led by example.  Now, it is a bad thing?

43 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Can’t wait til Rapinoe’s 15 minutes are done.

(I love winners, until they turn into complete a**holes - and embarass the USA on the world’s stage.)

Narcissistic ####### 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, bbb said:

Narcissistic ####### 

And your point?  She is just doing what works... Where do You think culturally as Americans We are learning this from.

It's the new normal.  We've crossed the Rubicon.  There is no turning back, cherry picking.  

Our leaders set the tone... She is just following right along.

23 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Oh, the irony. Monkey see, Monkey do.

Wow... She's (M.Rapinoe) only doing what she sees to be the new norm. She is being led by example.  Now, it is a bad thing?

Then she’s stupid, too.  It’s always been a bad thing.

But I only called her an a**hole - you called her a monkey! ?

?

Edited by The Senator
  • Haha (+1) 1