Pit Bull Terriers: Should we require background checks and licensing?

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

There’s no research suggesting pit bull types are more prone to getting ‘triggered’ and attacking a human than other breeds of dog. 

But when they get triggered they lose it! enough with this pit bull suffragette. They are not pets. 

20 minutes ago, teef said:

As bill burr says, a pit bull is a gun you can pet. 

I don’t mean to come across harsh towards the breed, because there really are some wonderful pits out there. As has been mentioned many times in this thread, it’s all about the owners. I just don’t trust many to be good enough owners when owning that type of dog. 

Of all the dumb ***** Bill Burr has said, that quote is probably one the dumbest.

20 minutes ago, Sanners said:

as they should.  I've experienced it with my dog and others. F Pit Bulls.  They are not pets, unless you have a small penis! F them.

Pits are the reason I no longer take my Golden to dog parks. It’s a shame, but I’m not taking the chance.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:24 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Pit Bulls may not even be the most aggressive breed of dog, but they are the ones who can and will do the most damage if they do snap.  I had a mini dauchshund that we had to put down.  Despite spending thousands of dollars on trainers, vets, a pet “psychologist,” psychotropic medications...she bit 5 people before we had to make that difficult decision.  Fortunate for us, her bites were tiny and largely harmless.  I think she only broke the skin once and just barely.

Chows, chihuahuas, collies, and cocker spaniels can ask be very aggressive breeds.  Unfortunate for PB’s is that they are so big/strong and attack so relentlessly and violently...their worst attacks tend to make national news.  I think Pitts are beautiful and I have found them generally to be very sweet and loyal dogs (although I have never owned one).  I would never, however, let my children near one...especially one that I don’t know extremely well.  Maybe less of a chance that they get attacked by a chihuahua, but at least the chihuahua wouldn’t leave them disfigured for life or dead.

I agree with this sentiment. 

The whole pitbull debate reminds me of the snake scene from Natural Born Killers. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

Pits are the reason I no longer take my Golden to dog parks. It’s a shame, but I’m not taking the chance.

Oblivious owners of all breeds are the reason I no longer take mine. Most parks are a setup for an uncontrolled free for all. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Even if this is true, what do the results look like when they do snap? That little schnauzer didn’t even rip my pants. 

This is the main point I’ve been harping on. All dogs bite, but PB’s go beyond biting to serious mauling. 

2 minutes ago, transient said:

Oblivious owners of all breeds are the reason I no longer take mine. Most parks are a setup for an uncontrolled free for all. 

I will grant you that it’s more than Pits. It’s a lot of alpha owners with alpha dogs, NOT all Pits. But they are the ones that scare me the most. As you say, it’s a recipe for disaster 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I will grant you that it’s more than Pits. It’s a lot of alpha owners with alpha dogs, NOT all Pits. But they are the ones that scare me the most. As you say, it’s a recipe for disaster 

It's not even just "alpha" owners.  I can't tell you how many times I've been at a dog park and seen someone sitting on a bench looking at their phone without any idea where their dog is or what it's doing?  There's more of that than aggressive owners with aggressive dogs.

3 hours ago, Sanners said:

We get it. You love your dog, and you may be a great owner. They are not a breed that should be prevalent. Their behavior sucks. My 5 year old daughters witnessed "the sweetest dog in the world" decide to bite my dog's head, and pop his eye out, before I came over to beat that ***** down. My dog was on a leash just smelling ass. best dog ever, so ***** pit bulls.the woman who was walking her, had no control.

Are you describing a situation in which your dog was socializing with an unfamiliar dog in the presence of your 5 year old daughter without you in the immediate vicinity?

Edited by transient

1 minute ago, Teddy KGB said:

Strong Safety or Running back for sure.  

Yeah, I don’t think they have a high motor, and their first step isn’t quick.  Probably not “long” enough to be an edge rusher, and arms much too short.  I could see RB though. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I was going to say RB. But more Frank Gore than Lesean McCoy.

I was going to say C.J. Anderson.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transient said:

Are describing a situation in which your dog was socializing with an unfamiliar dog in the presence of your 5 year old daughter without you in the immediate vicinity?

I've said this a million times in this thread already but generally speaking it's the humans, regardless of their particular pet's breed, who are usually to blame for injuries caused by dogs.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

If Josh Allen was a dog, what type of a dog would he be?  ?

To answer this question accurately I think we need to see which breeds can successfully jump over Anthony Barr...

• Haha (+1) 1