97 Rock and Roll 500

24 minutes ago, bbb said:

I don't think it's 100% - I think Satisfaction, Born To Run, Sweet Child, and others are the best by their artists.  

I think: "Waiting on a Friend", "Point Blank", & "Patience"... Are some of the best. Not those commercial success.   I think it's almost 100%.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bbb said:

I don't think it's 100% - I think Satisfaction, Born To Run, Sweet Child, and others are the best by their artists.  

I respectfully disagree.  Those are greatest hits tunes, as in most popular.  Fans of the Stones, Bruce and Guns and Roses would cite far better tunes that were not as commercially successful.

Personally, my favorite Stones tune (and I am a Stones novice) is "As Time Goes By."  Favorite Boss tune is, "Spirit in the Night."  Favorite Guns and Roses tune is, "Rocket Queen."

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I think: "Waiting on a Friend", "Point Blank", & "Patience"... Are some of the best. Not those commercial success.   I think it's almost 100%.

Axle Rose treated people like garbage most of his life,he doesn't have many friends or close family connections...reminds me of the lead singer from the Kinks..a a-hole.

35 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I respectfully disagree.  Those are greatest hits tunes, as in most popular.  Fans of the Stones, Bruce and Guns and Roses would cite far better tunes that were not as commercially successful.

Personally, my favorite Stones tune (and I am a Stones novice) is "As Time Goes By."  Favorite Boss tune is, "Spirit in the Night."  Favorite Guns and Roses tune is, "Rocket Queen.

I dated a girl in 1980 that couldn't let pink cadillac leave the cassette player.I had to bail...great song but not 4-8 times a night.

Edited by Misterbluesky
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Personally, my favorite Stones tune (and I am a Stones novice) is "As Time Goes By."  Favorite Boss tune is, "Spirit in the Night."  Favorite Guns and Roses tune is, "Rocket Queen."

Nice three!  Non-commercially popular tunes!

I guess I am partial to haunting ballads... Those don't win the public over.  Public wants "happy" or at least that's what the Execs say.  Hmmmm???

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I don't give a crap what anybody's favorite tunes are............I have seen Bruce Springsteen 27 times, and can't wait till next year's tour that just got announced.  I have every album he ever made up until the Seeger Sessions stuff............I love the Stones and have seen them several times.

There is no way that any of those songs, and I like them all,  are better rock songs than Satisfaction and Born To Run.................I won't even argue about Sweet Child because I'm not much of a GNR fan.  

3 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I dated a girl in 1980 that couldn't let pink cadillac leave the cassette player.I had to bail...great song but not 4-8 times a night.

Pink Cadillac in 1980?  Was it a bootleg or something?  (Bruce often had songs that weren't official that he would play live)  It was on a B side of one of the Born in the USA songs in 1984.  

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

And the casual listener is by far the majority of the audience.  Of course any of these lists are going to cater to those people.

There was one music list years ago that at least always nailed the #1 ranking.  Back in the stone age when MTV actually aired videos, they would randomly pull out "the greatest videos of all time".  No one could ever compete with Thriller.

You think this list is bad, Sirius was counting down the top 1000 country songs on Ch. 4 recently(It may still be repeating).  It was nothing but a new country song, one from the 70's/80's/90's, and then an old country song.  Rinse and repeat.  Not even sure how the top 25 looked.  I am sure it was cringeworthy.

35 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

You think this list is bad, Sirius was counting down the top 1000 country songs on Ch. 4 recently(It may still be repeating).  It was nothing but a new country song, one from the 70's/80's/90's, and then an old country song.  Rinse and repeat.  Not even sure how the top 25 looked.  I am sure it was cringeworthy.

How many trucks broke down over the course of that countdown?

9 minutes ago, Rico said:

I remember listening to radio in my car, back in the day before Spotify and my smart phone. I even remember 8-track tapes. :thumbsup:

I still listen to FM radio in my car (2 hours/day).

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, bbb said:

I don't give a crap what anybody's favorite tunes are............I have seen Bruce Springsteen 27 times, and can't wait till next year's tour that just got announced.  I have every album he ever made up until the Seeger Sessions stuff............I love the Stones and have seen them several times.

There is no way that any of those songs, and I like them all,  are better rock songs than Satisfaction and Born To Run.................I won't even argue about Sweet Child because I'm not much of a GNR fan.  

Pink Cadillac in 1980?  Was it a bootleg or something?  (Bruce often had songs that weren't official that he would play live)  It was on a B side of one of the Born in the USA songs in 1984.  

I have no idea..not a fan.If not '80 it was ''81 and it was live.Maybe with another entertainer?..but it sure wasn't '84...I didn't live in b-low then.She was also heavily into Tom Petty (him I liked,still do).I have connections to get in touch with her..be interesting to see what she says..

She loved swing-sets too (Como Park).

5 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I have no idea..not a fan.If not '80 it was ''81 and it was live.Maybe with another entertainer?..but it sure wasn't '84...I didn't live in b-low then.She was also heavily into Tom Petty (him I liked,still do).I have connections to get in touch with her..be interesting to see what she says..

From wiki:  

Background[edit]

Springsteen originally wrote "Pink Cadillac" as "Love Is a Dangerous Thing" in December 1981; 

First recorded by Springsteen in an acoustic version in early January 1982 in the session whose tracks would comprise the Nebraska album

Could you be thinking of Cadillac Ranch?  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Wow!  You are so dead to our other "Tom Petty" @DC Tom.

LMAO....

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

3 hours ago, shrader said:

How many trucks broke down over the course of that countdown?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K96rTnGm1I6uHDqBAIQKbIAXtGv6eP8hIVEkbCTSfvY/edit#gid=0