97 Rock and Roll 500

On 5/28/2019 at 1:38 PM, Gugny said:

Any list that has Freebird as #2 is pure crap.  After a quick browse, I also saw that "Dude Looks Like a Lady" ranked higher than, "Let it Be.

Okay.  It's crap.

I will say this .... I think "Under Pressure" (Queen/Bowie) is one of the greatest rock songs ever and it never gets due credit on these crap lists.

A part of the issue is - what is rock?  Many would consider Bowie to be “alternative” and not rock.  The nature of music lists is that no two people will agree.  What you like to listen to is subjective.

8 hours ago, Rico said:

I remember listening to radio in my car, back in the day before Spotify and my smart phone. I even remember 8-track tapes. :thumbsup:

8-track tapes sucked :lol: 

On 5/28/2019 at 12:18 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I've listened to this every year since I was a little kid. Even after I moved I stream it online. Tradition that's been in my family since as long as I can Remember. Anybody else listen to this? These were the top 25 according to this years listener votes. Full List Here

1 Stairway To Heaven Led Zeppelin
2 Freebird Lynyrd Skynyrd
3 Bohemian Rhapsody Queen
4 Comfortably Numb Pink Floyd
5 Hotel California Eagles
6 Kashmir Led Zeppelin
7 Satisfaction Rolling Stones
8 Turn The Page Seger, Bob & The Silver Bullet Band
9 Simple Man Lynyrd Skynyrd
10 Dream On Aerosmith
11 Won’t Get Fooled Again Who
12 Layla Derek & The Dominos
13 Sweet Emotion Aerosmith
14 Highway To Hell AC/DC
15 Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) Pink Floyd
16 We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions Queen
17 Sweet Home Alabama Lynyrd Skynyrd
18 More Than A Feeling Boston
19 Don’t Stop Believin’ Journey
20 Black Dog Led Zeppelin
21 Livin’ On A Prayer Bon Jovi
22 Free Fallin’ Petty, Tom
23 You Shook Me All Night Long AC/DC
24 Walk This Way Aerosmith
25 Sweet Child O’ Mine Guns N’ Roses

I lived these weekends. In radio it's basically taking your usual small library of a few hundred songs, shuffling the deck, and call it a countdown. Magic.

See also: Double shot weekend, triple shot weekend, rock block weekend, A-to-Z weekend, no-repeat weekend, the (insert number) days of summer weekend, the top (insert number) countdown weekend, all-request (as long as you ask for what we plan to play anyway) weekend, etc. etc. The same 450 or so songs shuffled and labeled.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I lived these weekends. In radio it's basically taking your usual small library of a few hundred songs, shuffling the deck, and call it a countdown. Magic.

See also: Double shot weekend, triple shot weekend, rock block weekend, A-to-Z weekend, no-repeat weekend, the (insert number) days of summer weekend, the top (insert number) countdown weekend, all-request (as long as you ask for what we plan to play anyway) weekend, etc. etc. The same 450 or so songs shuffled and labeled.

Truth ?

but I love those 450 songs lmao

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Are polls like this used for any actual analyzed data that the station uses to decide what their demographic listens to?

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Are polls like this used for any actual analyzed data that the station uses to decide what their demographic listens to?

It's different with every station. Most big city stations invest in their own audience research, so they know what songs score highest. Smaller stations either get a list from their corporate programming consultant, or they use a monitoring service like Mediabase to rank the most-played songs nationally in a given time period. 

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's different with every station. Most big city stations invest in their own audience research, so they know what songs score highest. Smaller stations either get a list from their corporate programming consultant, or they use a monitoring service like Mediabase to rank the most-played songs nationally in a given time period. 

How the ***** is it that in 1981, I saw Journey get booed off the stage because everybody hated them and wanted The Stones..................And, somehow now I'm more likely to hear a Journey song on 97 Rock than I am a Stones song?!?

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, bbb said:

How the ***** is it that in 1981, I saw Journey get booed off the stage because everybody hated them and wanted The Stones..................And, somehow now I'm more likely to hear a Journey song on 97 Rock than I am a Stones song?!?

A few reasons. Journey isn't a good fit to open for the Rolling Stones. They're almost a pop band as opposed to the Stones being a harder rock. Second, Journey's somehow gained this new found almost ironic nostalgia. I think it started with The Sopranos, and now, for better or worse, they're probably more popular now than back when Steve Perry was with the band. Third, the "Classic Rock" format changes. It's for the middle aged guys. So back 10-20 years ago, the middle aged people were teenagers in the 60s-70s, now they were teenagers in the 70s-early 90s. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/29/2019 at 1:04 PM, Rico said:

I remember listening to radio in my car, back in the day before Spotify and my smart phone. I even remember 8-track tapes. :thumbsup:

Not sure why that reminded me of this but it did... and I remember 4-track tapes.

Image may contain: 3 people, people standing and meme, text that says 'THESE ARE THE DAUGHTERS OF KEITH RICHARDS WHEN THEY DIE, He WILL INHERIT EVERYTHING'

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/28/2019 at 11:22 AM, Pete said:

no Gimme Shelter, but Bon Jovi made it

I know! Bon Jovi? Seriously...isn't he more like borderline glam rock? Over the Stones? ouch.

On 5/30/2019 at 5:41 PM, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

The Cars were always too poppy for me, along with Journey. I am a Tom Petty fan, but can see where you're coming from.

The first Journey album was rock...has a progressive sound. Way before they top 40'd out.

13 hours ago, Rocket94 said:

I know! Bon Jovi? Seriously...isn't he more like borderline glam rock? Over the Stones? ouch.

The first Journey album was rock...has a progressive sound. Way before they top 40'd out.

Maybe I'm just holding a grudge, but anybody from Buffalo who still supports Bon Jovi should pack their bags and leave. And I agree on the Journey part. I was surprised to read that Journey was actually a spinoff group from a few guys who were in Santana.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Maybe I'm just holding a grudge, but anybody from Buffalo who still supports Bon Jovi should pack their bags and leave. And I agree on the Journey part. I was surprised to read that Journey was actually a spinoff group from a few guys who were in Santana.

I still don't understand why people are mad at Jon Bon Jovi.

Edited by Gugny

25 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I still don't understand why people are mad at Jon Bon Jovi.

I don't think Bon Jovi himself wanted to move to Toronto. He just wanted the fun of owning an NFL team. But the fact that he was leaching on to people who clearly wanted the team in Canada is what bugged people. Even if he wanted to keep the team in Buffalo, he was only gonna be like 1/3 ownership so it didn't really matter. 

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I don't think Bon Jovi himself wanted to move to Toronto. He just wanted the fun of owning an NFL team. But the fact that he was leaching on to people who clearly wanted the team in Canada is what bugged people. Even if he wanted to keep the team in Buffalo, he was only gonna be like 1/3 ownership so it didn't really matter. 

I don't think he sees owning an NFL team as a hobby or something fun to do.  It's apparent that he's wanted to do this for quite some time.  Teams don't go up for sale very often and I will never begrudge him for chasing his dream.

Not everyone has billions of dollars laying around to just buy a team.  He had to become part of the ownership group that was willing to work with him.  If he thought that an NFL team in Toronto was going to be a sound investment, and this was the opportunity that presented itself, then I have zero issue with anything he did.

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

They also had Aynsley Dunbar as the drummer, fresh off Zappa's Mothers. His work on The Grand Wazoo is incredible... so yeah, they started off the right way.

From Wiki, the source of all knowledge lol:

"Dunbar was later the drummer for Frank Zappa's Mothers of Invention, playing on albums such as Waka/Jawaka, and The Grand Wazoo, as well as the film 200 Motels. In 1974 he played on the soundtrack of Dirty Duck, an adult animated film directed by Charles Swenson. In the mid-1970s Dunbar played drums for former Grin leader, Nils Lofgren, before joining Journey for their first four albums."