97 Rock and Roll 500

10 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Seems odd that a colabaration between two of the biggest artists to ever record wasn't huge. Granted Bowie also teamed up with Jagger for Dancin' in the Streets.

Yeah, I wish I had never see the latter's video!

I didn't realize that Under Pressure was #1 in the UK.  It also shows the weirdness of the popularity that it peaked at 29 in the US but then is 31 on VH1's list for the entire 80s! 

"Under Pressure" is a 1981 song by the British rock band Queen and British singer David Bowie. It was included on Queen's 1982 album Hot Space. The song reached number one on the UK Singles Chart, becoming Queen's second number-one hit in their home country (after 1975's "Bohemian Rhapsody", which topped the chart for nine weeks) and Bowie's third (after 1980's "Ashes to Ashes" and the 1975 reissue of "Space Oddity"). The song peaked at No. 29 on the US Billboard Hot 100 in January 1982, and would re-chart for one week at No. 45 in the US following Bowie's death in January 2016. It was also number 31 on VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the '80s.[1] It was voted the second best collaboration of all time in a poll by Rolling Stone magazine.[2]

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I will say this .... I think "Under Pressure" (Queen/Bowie) is one of the greatest rock songs ever and it never gets due credit on these crap lists.

I hate that so many people's minds immediately jump to Vanilla Ice when they hear that music.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

I hate that so many people's minds immediately jump to Vanilla Ice when they hear that music.

I hate hearing the intro to Werewolves of London and then realizing that it's Kid Rock's abomination, All Summer Long.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, WhoTom said:

I hate hearing the intro to Werewolves of London and then realizing that it's Kid Rock's abomination, All Summer Long.

Is this a mad libs post about Kid Rock songs?  The possibilities are endless.

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Let me guess who won?  LZ "Stairway to Heaven."  Gee that's a shock... Been winning the last 35 years.  /smh

Oh... Wait.  Freebird #2.  That's like the Bills being second in League 40 years running.

I'm pretty sure they flip flop the two just about every year.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Another shocker: "Hotel Cali" in top 5.  Makes me almost want to look like this guy:

c14ffeb7855625383c266c9c04faa75516a25503

(If you don't know the story behind Costello's look.  Look it up. FWIW, I personally don't mind Eagles... BUT "Hotel California" is way over-played, overrated! And Elvis knew it 40 years ago!)

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Another shocker: "Hotel Cali" in top 5.  Makes me almost want to look like this guy:

(If you don't know the story behind Costello's look.  Look it up. FWIW, I personally don't mind Eagles... BUT "Hotel California" is way over-played, overrated! And Elvis knew it 40 years ago!)

I think when you're dealing with the upper echelon of rock bands, 99% of the time their most famous songs are not their best.  Might even be 100% of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I fell for that the first time I heard that song.  "This is a classic", I announced to my friends, and then it was Kid Rock.  I had to call it a night.

27 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I still do love listening to 97 rock tho lol 

I saw Motorhead at the Salty Dog with Carl and my gang in the best of Caz Days..I remember when he tried Friday Night Metal. He's still solid and runs a good studio...Slick Tom is a asshat,prick.

9 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

This looks like a list made by people in their 20’s who were trying to select songs that people in their 50’s would listen to. Kind of trite. 

Or "best classic rock songs, chosen by casual listeners of classic rock".  Same difference, I suppose.

5 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I saw Motorhead at the Salty Dog with Carl and my gang in the best of Caz Days..I remember when he tried Friday Night Metal. He's still solid and runs a good studio...Slick Tom is a asshat,prick.

I like listening to Slick Tom.  Why is he a prick?  

17 minutes ago, bbb said:

I like listening to Slick Tom.  Why is he a prick?  

South Buffalo rough neck..thin as a rail with a cocky mouth.I met him twice..he's not my mind of guy.I heard he quit smoking..maybe he'll see 60.

Carl is a very down to earth guy..he did mega work for decades to get bands here when we weren't on their tour lists.

To be honest...I really don't listen to 97 rock much anymore...unless I'm out in the yard.

As somebody else said..it's the same set of music...I would rather slide in a iggy pop cd on some days..or dead kennedy's/ramones/beach boys/national/Cher/motorhead....

Van Morrison

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I think when you're dealing with the upper echelon of rock bands, 99% of the time their most famous songs are not their best.  Might even be 100% of the time.

I don't think it's 100% - I think Satisfaction, Born To Run, Sweet Child, and others are the best by their artists.