S**t Show

I hear people a lot using that phrase.  Even upper management where I work.  At least five times a day.  Heck even a mod used that phrase when explaining how game day threads can get.

It entered my vocabulary around 2013ish.  I don’t remember in the 90s people using it that much.

Has society evolved in such a way that’s such a buzz phrase?

3 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Unfortunately, ‘that’s the way we roll’...

I’m still irked that ‘passion’ has now snuck into even job descriptions for the newspaper carrier.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Don’t get me started...

https://slate.com/human-interest/2015/02/origins-and-use-of-the-phrase-*****-show-from-james-ellroy-to-the-red-army.html

On March 16 1973 the applicant and the other defendants again insulted the public prosecutors in the courtroom and threw cheese at them. On another occasion they made a ballpoint pen explode which they had stuffed with the sulphur taken from matches.

From 8 May 1973 to 28 June 1973 the applicant again participated in a hunger strike. As a result the court sat only in the morning for two or three hours because it was feared that the defendant would not be fit to attend the trial during the whole day.

On 22 June 1973 the applicant again refused to attend the trial. She had therefore to be taken handcuffed to the courtroom. There she insulted the presiding judge saying: “There is that swine again. We don’t want this ****-show any longer …”

So there you have it. Through the tangle of translation, ***** show makes a rather theatrical English-language debut with an apparent sense of spectacle (albeit one of the “****-show” utterer’s own creation). But there’s a difficulty in identifying ***** shows in the wild, one that makes tracking the evolution of the phrase tricky. As Oxford’s Martin points out:

Where does ***** show come from?

The earliest recorded evidence of ***** show dates from the 1970s. At the time, it had the connotation of something that is a mockery, a chaotic event, or a horrible situation. Over time, the mockery connotation receded, making space for the sense of a ***** show as a spectacle, which gained prominence and nuance over the years.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Some of us who prefer to try and use non-vulgarity would call this kind of thing a "tire fire."

This is an old expression, btw.

wow, just wow

3 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2015/02/origins-and-use-of-the-phrase-*****-show-from-james-ellroy-to-the-red-army.html

On March 16 1973 the applicant and the other defendants again insulted the public prosecutors in the courtroom and threw cheese at them. On another occasion they made a ballpoint pen explode which they had stuffed with the sulphur taken from matches.

From 8 May 1973 to 28 June 1973 the applicant again participated in a hunger strike. As a result the court sat only in the morning for two or three hours because it was feared that the defendant would not be fit to attend the trial during the whole day.

On 22 June 1973 the applicant again refused to attend the trial. She had therefore to be taken handcuffed to the courtroom. There she insulted the presiding judge saying: “There is that swine again. We don’t want this ****-show any longer …”

So there you have it. Through the tangle of translation, ***** show makes a rather theatrical English-language debut with an apparent sense of spectacle (albeit one of the “****-show” utterer’s own creation). But there’s a difficulty in identifying ***** shows in the wild, one that makes tracking the evolution of the phrase tricky. As Oxford’s Martin points out:

Where does ***** show come from?

The earliest recorded evidence of ***** show dates from the 1970s. At the time, it had the connotation of something that is a mockery, a chaotic event, or a horrible situation. Over time, the mockery connotation receded, making space for the sense of a ***** show as a spectacle, which gained prominence and nuance over the years.

that was epic

13 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Like, I totally hear you dude.

ikr

If the sh*t show has a said number of people, say three for the sake of this example:

"Three Monkeys fugging a football!"

Substitute the more vulgar words for fug.

Example in context:

Vin: "Did you hear?

Quinn: "No, what's up"

Vin: "Mangement assigned Tim, Lynn, & Jim to the new project."

Quinn: "Wow! That's gonna be a real shi... show, like 3 Monkeys ***** -ing a footballl."

21 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I hear people a lot using that phrase.  Even upper management where I work.  At least five times a day.  Heck even a mod used that phrase when explaining how game day threads can get.

It entered my vocabulary around 2013ish.  I don’t remember in the 90s people using it that much.

***** show has been around forever