How The Anderson Signing

Imho of course.

Throughout this decade and the nineties, the Bills have shown to be a bit more prone to drafting by position than best player available with their top pick. If Alaska Darin reads this he is sure to disagree. Again, this is just my opinion.

With a pair of solid guards, some depth, a RT who cannot go anywhere due to his contract, and a versatile player in Teague, I think that the odds of TD selecting an offensive lineman with the first pick are slim; Shelton or not.

This is not to try to convince anybody that the Bills OL will be exceptionally good. I just think that CB will be the way TD will go with the first pick.

To me, it is quite simple. Of our 2 starting corners, one is a ufa in a year, and they both return kicks, further exposing themselves to injury. The Bills are just too thin at CB, and I am strongly thinking that this will be addressed as soon as we pick.

What COULD change this would be if T. Law was to come to Buffalo for a small, but incentive laden contract, a possibility which I do not dismiss.

We shall see.

I concur, CB is not a spot that you can just plug a body in to occupy space. Yes TV gives us some depth, but at the expense of our safety position. An earlier post here at tsw showed how few starting CBs aren't 1st or 2nd round draft picks. We've got a 4th (McGee) who even though I think was a steal, is still a little raw & unproven, being backed up by 6th rounder in Thomas and an undrafted free-agent in Greer. Our safety depth also has UFA(Baker) in the primary backup spot.

Do not misunderstand me, I think that all of those lower draft choices have well overplayed their draft position. I think they make decent depth, but decent starters...?

With a reasonable likelyhood of losing Nate, and our replacement starters in the secondary being suspect. I honestly will be suprised if we don't draft a cb in round 2.

I think a CB will be picked on Day One, but not in Round Two. We still need work on the O-Line, so we take the best available Tackle or Center prospect available to us, then in the 3rd we take a CB.

I think the Bills can land Antonio Perkins in the 3rd round, who has some serious talent. Would also give our special teams an even greater weapon.

I think a CB will be picked on Day One, but not in Round Two.  We still need work on the O-Line, so we take the best available Tackle or Center prospect available to us, then in the 3rd we take a CB.

I think the Bills can land Antonio Perkins in the 3rd round, who has some serious talent.  Would also give our special teams an even greater weapon.

293765[/snapback]

I agree. I think the chances are better that the Bills take a DE or DT than a CB on day 1.

I think we'll draft the best player available, ALMOST regardless of position.

Get your good self a Value Board, because TD's got one, and his may look a little different, but for the most part, it'll come down to who's there at #44 (or 55).

Late 1st's or Early 2nd's that might be there include:

Ben Wilkerson OC --Allows us even more flexibility on the OL.

C J Brooks OG -- A little less likely now that we have Bennie.

David Baas OC/OG--I'd still like to see this one happen.

Dan Cody DE--We have 3 on the roster.

Anttaj Hawthorne DT--Shaun Cody early pick might send Anttaj down to 44.

Rian Wallace OLB--Could supplant Posey or allow us flexibility at LB.

Davis-Pool-Butler FS--Confusion in the order of picks might let one drop.

Shazor-Nicholson SS--I like Rashad Baker, but either of these make it a dogfight.

Webster-Miller-Rogers CB--One of these can still be there in most mocks.

Honestly, if one of these is on the board, I'm tempted to take that pick, even if it isn't CB.

I actually am looking at this in a different way.....

I have to weight talent along with where we pick and mix that in with current talent on roster....

I actually think that TD WILL pay Clements to stay because the money invested in him is worth the value of his play....not only is he a fast big physical corner but he also does ST work......we get a lot of value out of Nate Clements......

Now mix in the fact that Terrance Magee.....while a great return guy is simply not the talent that Nate Clements is on the other side.....he has speed...he makes plays but he is not big and physical.....and that is not going to change.....if the bills let Nate go they are stuck with a draft pick who may or may not work out and Magee

Then factor in that we are talking about a 2nd round pick.....who in the 2nd round are we going to get that is anywhere near Nates ability? On the other hand it has been widely speculated that the OL depth.....particulary at guard and center is very good in this draft.....

Now I finally add in the last ingredient....quality offensive linemen are just plain fricken expensive.....so expensive that we let Jonas Jennings go......

I also think that TD has a master plan of getting offensive linemen young....(aka the draft) so that he can hang onto them for a stretch of time at a reasonable price.......

I think he will pay for good (possibly great) young corner talent and will draft linemen.....

I think Buffalo goes linebacker with the first pick.

They need YOUNG depth behind Posey and Fletcher who's career's in Buffalo are likely coming to an end after this season or next. Keep in mind that unless Buffalo moves up in the 2nd round ala Arizona's spot, this pick is positioned to be a talent pick more so than a positional pick. Crowell is purpordedly a very talented tackling machine much in the mold of a Sam Cowart. Beyond that there isnt the young depth there that you see at other positions on the roster. Also, a solid athlete at that position would be able to contribute on special teams immediately.

Dont be surprised to see Donahoe pick an LB with our first pick.

Imho of course.

Throughout this decade and the nineties, the Bills have shown to be a bit more prone to drafting by position than best player available with their top pick. If Alaska Darin reads this he is sure to disagree. Again, this is just my opinion.

With a pair of solid guards, some depth, a RT who cannot go anywhere due to his contract, and a versatile player in Teague, I think that the odds of TD selecting an offensive lineman with the first pick are slim; Shelton or not.

This is not to try to convince anybody that the Bills OL will be exceptionally good. I just think that CB will be the way TD will go with the first pick.

To me, it is quite simple. Of our 2 starting corners, one is a ufa in a year, and they both return kicks, further exposing themselves to injury. The Bills are just too thin at CB, and I am strongly thinking that this will be addressed as soon as we pick.

What COULD change this would be if T. Law was to come to Buffalo for a small, but incentive laden contract, a possibility which I do not dismiss.

We shall see.

293742[/snapback]

That may be true of TD's overall drafting record but that doesn't apply to JP or Willis!

BTW, I think we're thinner at safety on defense overall. One injury there and we're screwed.