Trades. Picks. And all the drama. Welcome to the Bills draft room.

4 hours ago, BabyBills said:

Within the first minute or two of the video, you can see a screen in the background that seems to list team needs.  For the Bills, those were:

DT

DE

TE

RB

OLB

OC (hard to tell)

OT

If this list is in descending order, it shows just how much they must have valued Cody Ford (only the 7th highest positional need taken in the 2nd round) and didn't value players like Chase Winovich (a player at the 2nd highest positional need that was passed over for a player at the 4th highest positional need).

Is OC offensive coordinator?  Maybe Daboll is on the block!

1 hour ago, Poleshifter said:

I know you were talking about the article, not the video.

Please post the quotes about Knox. Fascinating player - no TDs in college, etc. I love the pick, and would love to see the analysis behind it. Thanks in advance.

Here it is -

Dawson Knox is a bizarre version of Singletary. The Ole Miss tight end and Bills third-round pick did not catch a touchdown in college. He wasn’t a featured part of an Ole Miss passing game that had receivers like D.K. Metcalf, A.J. Brown and Damarkus Lodge.

“You have to watch games, you can’t just watch his targets,” Beane said. “Their scheme wasn’t set up to showcase him.”

Beane saw a player who was getting open, but more importantly, he saw Knox show a willingness to stick his face into the running game. He needs technique work because he didn’t have to do it a ton, but his frame and his willingness to block are pluses. Knox ran only three routes in the Rebels’ offense, though, so there will be a learning curve.

“Is he not running routes because it’s something he can’t do, or is it the system?” Beane said. “My understanding is it was the system. He’s a really smart kid, so it’s not that.”

Then they talk some about about how Beane has traded up 4x and traded down 0x in his 2 drafts here. Beane said it’s more a product of circumstance - being early in the building process. Plus he said in the case of Edmunds and Knox, both were sticking out on his board. 

And this was the last section in the Knox section -

Beane talked a lot about drafting the best player available. He’s quick to point out that doesn’t mean he’s not drafting for need. If three players fit the value of the pick, Beane will take the player who either fills the biggest need or fills the biggest need at a premium position.

“But if you have two guys up there and neither of them are needs, you don’t go down the board to a guy who fills a big need,” Beane said. “At that point, you have two options. Take one of those two guys who don’t fill a need or trade down and try to select them at your value. I’m trying to handle need but at their value, whether it’s going up or going down.”

Beane said elsewhere that when he took Singletary, there were still a lot of TE’s on the board. Then right after that pick there was a run on TE’s. He said Knox was the last TE on his board before there was a big drop off in the grades he had on each. He felt Knox would never make it to their pick in the 4th so he traded up. 

He also addressed the Knox pick in his press conference after rounds 2+3. Here it is in case you missed it -

He starts talking about Knox right around the 3:30 mark. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I could care less how they are dressed, that isn't what makes it professional.  They could have been in Hoodies Bills gear for all I care. 

Maybe in your world.

The Bills under McBeane are about EVERY DETAIL.  One of the details clearly is professional dress at certain times.  

It might be that professional dress is required whenever Mr. Pegula will be in the room, because he seems always to be in a coat and tie.  

Whatever the reason, the Bills are ALL ABOUT getting everything right, including how they present to the outside world.   

It's pretty impressive, whether you think a coat and tie is necessary or not.  

Friend of mine told me a story.  His son got a speeding ticket and asked his father to go with him.  Father insisted on a coat and tie.  When they got to court, they were the only ones in business dress, and lot of people were in t-shirts, jeans or shorts.   The judge said something like "when you come to this courtroom, you're speaking to the State, and you should show the Court and the State the respect it deserves.  So if you aren't dressed properly, go home and get yourself cleaned up."   When the son's case came up, the judge dismissed the charge, no penalty.  It makes a difference. 

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Maybe in your world.

The Bills under McBeane are about EVERY DETAIL.  One of the details clearly is professional dress at certain times.  

It might be that professional dress is required whenever Mr. Pegula will be in the room, because he seems always to be in a coat and tie.  

Whatever the reason, the Bills are ALL ABOUT getting everything right, including how they present to the outside world.   

It's pretty impressive, whether you think a coat and tie is necessary or not.  

Friend of mine told me a story.  His son got a speeding ticket and asked his father to go with him.  Father insisted on a coat and tie.  When they got to court, they were the only ones in business dress, and lot of people were in t-shirts, jeans or shorts.   The judge said something like "when you come to this courtroom, you're speaking to the State, and you should show the Court and the State the respect it deserves.  So if you aren't dressed properly, go home and get yourself cleaned up."   When the son's case came up, the judge dismissed the charge, no penalty.  It makes a difference. 

Let's not slurp Beane too much here. From what I've seen, it's pretty standard practice across the NFL.

Thursday night is the big ratings night, and where they show the War Rooms on Prime Time TV. Every team is dressed up for Round 1.

Round 2 gets a bit more casual, shirt and jackets maybe, but no ties.

Saturday is wear whatever you want since it is an all-day affair and the end of a marathon.

I havent seen any team that doesnt follow this. Even in previous Bills regimes.

There's plenty to be happy about with Beane without giving him credit for unnecessary things.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, NJKBillsfan said:

From the draft footage Beane looked really unorganized.

Looked like he didn't have a real plan and was just winging it. LOL

Gotta be one in every thread I guess! ?

Great video - love seeing that behind the scenes.  The pressure, the decisions made, the phones being worked, has to be a fun (and stressful) time for those guys!  

As for the suits, pretty much the reason I gave up on every trying to work in the NFL.  Heitz don't suit up unless it's a wedding or a funeral. ?  Even most Fortune 500s don't rock suits these days - if I showed up at my clients office in a suit, they would all fall off their chairs... :beer:

59 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Let's not slurp Beane too much here. From what I've seen, it's pretty standard practice across the NFL.

Thursday night is the big ratings night, and where they show the War Rooms on Prime Time TV. Every team is dressed up for Round 1.

Round 2 gets a bit more casual, shirt and jackets maybe, but no ties.

Saturday is wear whatever you want since it is an all-day affair and the end of a marathon.

I havent seen any team that doesnt follow this. Even in previous Bills regimes.

There's plenty to be happy about with Beane without giving him credit for unnecessary things.

Fair enough.  I was just piling onto the same reaction others had.  

@BillsFan4 Thank you for that Knox info. I'm excited to see what this athletic, but raw, young man can do.

I wanted the Bills to draft 2 TE this year, and bingo, 7th round, Tommy Sweeney. This guy played in the Senior Bowl. Just seems to lack speed, but should be very useful in the Bills offense.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was planning to say the same thing. Beane is grooming them. 

...think we are VERY fortunate that Pegula handed his checkbook carte blanche to McBeane who then hired plenty of exec level personnel guys to build his staff of 17+....we probably have one of the most potential 90 bodies of talent going into TC in recent memory IMO.....stay tuned.....

19 hours ago, Estro said:

I think there's a reason we didn't see any of that.  Just my feeling, but I think Henderson and or Montgomery both of whom went just picks before the Bills would've been the guy if they were still there.  I like the both of them much more than Singletary.  

Well you would be in the minority on that....because everything I am sing is Singletary was considered one of the top 2 RB's in this draft......

I admit its a bit of a stash pick....but something tells me we are gonna be glad we drafted him.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Logic said:

The look of relief on Beane's face when the Lions pick Hockenson is awesome.

I also wonder what it is about Greg Little that caused the Panthers to prefer him over Cody Ford.

Oh, and I LOL'd when the Bears offered NEXT YEAR'S 4th round pick to move up to our spot in the third round. Get real. Beane's expression said the same.

Greg is a LT and Ford more of a RT.

3 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

If you listened he said Oliver was the #1 player on their board not just BPA.

I thought he said "when Detroit was on the clock", Ed was the highest guy on the board. I still feel they may have ranked Q. Williams as Plan 1A. But Ed Oliver likely was Plan 1B. I am not complaining at all. And Ed Oliver does some things way better than Q. WIlliams - His get off / twitch / change of direction / range are all other wordly (Willaims is just merely good), 

3 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I thought he said "when Detroit was on the clock", Ed was the highest guy on the board. I still feel they may have ranked Q. Williams as Plan 1A. But Ed Oliver likely was Plan 1B. I am not complaining at all. And Ed Oliver does some things way better than Q. WIlliams - His get off / twitch / change of direction / range are all other wordly (Willaims is just merely good), 

Q graded out better in PFF but hard to compare as he had 4-5 star players up and  down his DL for the opposing OL to account for unlike Ed.  That said, he played higher level of competition at times (not every week). Ed was a higher ranked recruit (5 star vs 3 star) but Q had zero red flags. 

Edited by YoloinOhio