Why Does Josh Rosen Get The Pass, That Josh Allen Does Not?

Here’s what I struggle to understand.  About 2 year ago many of us were disappointed after hearing that Josh......Allen was the QB that the Bills traded up for.

The reason for this was largely because the media and draft Twitter told us that Rosen was good and that Allen sucks at QB.

Even the pundits that tried to hedge their bets usually said, “Allen will take time to develop, but Rosen is the most pro ready and can start Week 1.”

But as the year played out, the stats between Rosen and Allen are nearly identical.  

Rosen - 14 games

11 TD 14 INT, 55% 2,278 yards, 66.7 rating

Record as starter = 3-10

1 comeback, 2 GW drives

Allen - 12 games 

10 TD 12 INT, 52.8%, 2,074 yards, 67.9 rating

*** plus 630 yards and 8 TD rushing but we’ll forget this for now.

Record as starter = 5-6 (though didn’t finish in 1 of those loses...thanks Nate)

2 Comebacks, 3 GW Drives

The excuses that many will make for Rosen can be also be applied to Allen, and in most cases are probably better conditions.  

- bad OL (Yes Bills OL was nearly as bad as AZ)

- weak WR (Arizona might actually be better)

- Good RB that never could get going thanks to the OL (DJ is easily better than Shady at this point in his career)

- Poor Coaching - Maybe Rosen has it worse here.  But Mike McCoy is far from the worst OC and Byron Leftwich is regarded as a good offensive mind.  When he took over he was supposed to “open it up” when he took over.  Never happened.  

Yet...YET...despite all of this the narrative from many of the same Twitter pundits (Hi Warren Sharp) and fans in general still is.... Rosen is good but Allen sucks.  

I cant figure out why this is.  Are they basically this on Rosen’s stellar college career and Allen’s inconsistent career(conveniently forgetting that Allen faced many of the same issues Rosen faced last year in Wyoming)?

Or are people just trying to double-down on their take because they are hell bent on being right?

And does politics or other issues factor into this?  Rosen is an outspoken liberal and most of the major media is liberal as well.  Are they giving him a pass because of this?  Maybe this is less likely but I can think of a few local hosts who championed Rosen largely because they had the same politician views.  

Rosen may still end up being the great QB people predicted him to be and Allen might end up sucking.  But the constant double standard between fans and the media is outrageous.  

Hopefully our “Josh” proves everyone wrong in 2019

• Thank you (+1) 1

"How can I take an interesting discussion and turn it into a flaming pile of poo? Let's sprinkle some politics in and see where it goes! This will surely end well on the internet!"

In all seriousness, a lot of it is just the fit. Putting a mobile QB like Allen behind a bad OL is bad for his development of course. But putting a pocket QB like Rosen behind an even worse OL is an incredibly dumb sin. 

Obviously the coaching situation was worse than you lay out too. McCoy was fired before half the season was over...for the second season in a row. Steve Wilks was such a tire fire they gave him the boot too.

He gets the pass because it's best for the entire world to forget the 2018 Cardinals existed because they were such a mess 

Edited by JM57
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, JM57 said:

"How can I take an interesting discussion and turn it into a flaming pile of poo? Let's sprinkle some politics in and see where it goes! This will surely end well on the internet!"

This was a legit discussion, how would you like it if I trashed your thread?

Edited by BillyWhiteShows
  • Like (+1) 1

I think much of the media has acknowledged that Allen showed flashes and has the potential to be a good QB. Most seem to understand that he made the most of a bad situation. I don't hear a lot of national media people trashing Allen. Obviously you have a few curmudgeons sticking to their original analysis, but you also have people trashing Rosen (Steve Smith anyone?)

I don’t think Rosen is getting much of a pass.  He’s an afterthought in the media now and only netted a late 2nd. 

Both Allen and Darnold found a way to not be terrible in similar circumstances.  Rosen’s skillset is just not applicable if he doesn’t have time to sit back in the pocket. 

I think the Cardinals were a mess top to bottom of the organisation last year in a way the Bills weren't. 

That said I think both Quarterbacks had pretty woeful talent around them offensively. I give them both a pass for that. Josh Allen did more with similarly rubbish talent that maybe isn't a total surprise given his skill set. Not sure Rosen has much better of a chance to succeed in Miami to be honest which is a similar tire fire. 

• Like (+1) 3

This is nonsensical--Allen is by far the more recognized talent at this point.  Of course not everyone feels that way, but as far as praise for their play and potential based on last year, Allen is clearly  the choice.

Not to say that Rosen will not be good, although now that he is a Dolphin I hope he is not.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

If you don't know by now that introducing politics to a discussion inevitably leads to a locked thread I don't know what to tell ya. Folks can't control themselves.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the Cardinals were a mess top to bottom of the organisation last year in a way the Bills weren't. 

That said I think both Quarterbacks had pretty woeful talent around them offensively. I give them both a pass for that. Josh Allen did more with similarly rubbish talent that maybe isn't a total surprise given his skill set. Not sure Rosen has much better of a chance to succeed in Miami to be honest which is a similar tire fire. 

This is fair... I think the narrative is slightly starting to change 

3 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Get a life.  This was a legit discussion

No it wasn't. Rosen gets crap all the time. Watching coverage of his trade yesterday , he got criticized for his 'attitude' - maybe the person criticizing was a conservative and was offended by Rosen's views.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JM57 said:

If you don't know by now that introducing politics to a discussion inevitably leads to a locked thread I don't know what to tell ya. Folks can't control themselves.

That is true.... the only reason I mentioned it here is because I was struggling to find why so many will go to great lengths to defend Rosen but will trash Allen without giving him the benefit of the doubt.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

No it wasn't. Rosen gets crap all the time. Watching coverage of his trade yesterday , he got criticized for his 'attitude' - maybe the person criticizing was a conservative and was offended by Rosen's views.

Really?  Because I see a lot of media sharing how he was wronged and excusing his disappointing rookie year to poor coaching and talent around him

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

Really?  Because I see a lot of media sharing how he was wronged and excusing his disappointing rookie year to poor coaching and talent around him

I  think his liberal views hurt him with the typically conservative NFL owners so it has certainly worked both ways. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

No it's not a legitimate discussion.  Nobody is trashing Allen, like the league just trashed Rosen.  If Allen was on the trade market teams would be throwing multiple #1s at the Bills begging them to take their picks for Allen.  Meanwhile Rosen was traded for a late 2nd & a future 5th.  I haven't heard anyone in the media saying anyone who needs a QB should have given Arizona even one #1.  

If you can't take the heat don't start a stupid thread & then get your panties twisted when someone calls you out on it. 

1 minute ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

That is true.... the only reason I mentioned it here is because I was struggling to find why so many will go to great lengths to defend Rosen but will trash Allen without giving him the benefit of the doubt.

That's a valid approach to assessing his season. Bringing his political views as a reason is something you can't qualify and comes off poorly.

Who cares about what the media says.  When Allen with this revamped offense starts winning, and Rosen flails in a crappy Dolphins team, it will change.

The Bills always get a bad rap, so what.  That will change when we rack up back to back to back 10 win seasons.  Nothing against the OP, b/c you are right.

• Like (+1) 1