RD 3, Pick 96: TE Dawson Knox, Ole Miss

30 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Again, I want to state I loved the Oliver pick and liked the Ford one.  But man, trading up for this guy?  Come on with the excuses.  You shouldn’t have to make excuses for a 3rd round TE you trade up for.  If he was so talented, why didn’t they try to get him the ball more?  Especially After the DK injury?  Also, with those 2 receivers, he had a lot of room to operate.  

There will be some TE with good measurables that you could get at the end of the draft.  You could sign a basketball player and convert him.  But we just got another whatever TE. I hope I’m wrong but if Butler goes before we pick again, I will again question this group’s ability to scout receivers.  Safe to say, it’s been questionable at best.

1) Foster was at Alabama, not Bryant & Stattron

2) they cut Foster 

Fair points, I also found the pick a bit puzzling.

Yo's observation on how this pick came about sounds reasonable so I'm reserving judgement. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fair points Doc and I hope you’re right.  But 0 tds our of a 3rd round TE? After DK gets hurt?  I really wanted a TE but I would have waited until later because there would be a good with good measurables available later.  

https://walterfootball.com/draft2019TE.php

I'm not so much focused on the TD's just as I don't think that Singletary's TD's means he'll lead the NFL in them.

4 minutes ago, twist_to_open said:

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but, if Tom Brady was so talented why didn't Michigan play him more instead of going with Henson? There are players that show talent and potential that may not have been on full display for four years but observate scouts see attributes that can be used to make their team better.

1) Henson was the number 1 recruit in the country

2) and Brady wasn’t Brady in college but I think his career was better than most people remembered. He played in 23 games his last 2 years.  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tom-brady-1.html

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

RB1 in a crowded group of "meh's"............I could easily see Singletary going 5th or even 6th round in a good RB draft.    

The draft isn't to be treated as a "one off" event IMO but an ongoing process of team building............reaching for need at a position of lesser value like RB catches up to you in subsequent years.     

Depends on how the player turns out.  If he turns out to be a stud, he was well worth the pick.  The question is whether they reached, but that's impossible to know since you don't know how other teams had a player rated and where he would have otherwise been taken.

Yeah, hard to understand his lack of production.

Certainly couldn't have been on his QB:

-Ball handling on RPOs is sluggish

-Needs better field awareness pre-snap

-Slow to recognize and counter blitz

-Below-average escapability once rush gets to pocket

-Sacks himself with indecisiveness

-Pump-fake machine who struggles with anticipation

-Pumps and staredown allow linemen to hone on batted passes

-Runs receivers into big hits

-Completed 44 percent of his passes with one touchdown and four interceptions against LSU, Alabama and Mississippi State

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, hemma said:

Yeah, hard to understand his lack of production.

Certainly couldn't have been on his QB:

-Ball handling on RPOs is sluggish

-Needs better field awareness pre-snap

-Slow to recognize and counter blitz

-Below-average escapability once rush gets to pocket

-Sacks himself with indecisiveness

-Pump-fake machine who struggles with anticipation

-Pumps and staredown allow linemen to hone on batted passes

-Runs receivers into big hits

-Completed 44 percent of his passes with one touchdown and four interceptions against LSU, Alabama and Mississippi State

Well done

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Depends on how the player turns out.  If he turns out to be a stud, he was well worth the pick.  The question is whether they reached, but that's impossible to know since you don't know how other teams had a player rated and where he would have otherwise been taken.

If he doesn't play like Alvin Kamara or Kareem Hunt........other recent 3rd round picks...........then they probably should've just waited.

That may seem lofty but "good" RB production is not hard to find.   Singletary is the only RB I mocked to the Bills.......I thought he *could* surprise and be a top rotational RB....... but I wasn't touching a RB until late 4th round at the EARLIEST in this draft. 

I'd even have taken my chances not drafting one this year and having my choice of UDFA's because of the perceived vacancy for a "young" RB on the roster.   

If you believe Albright it seems like the Bills have the QB development process a bit backwards..........he said they want to try to ease Josh Allen along with a heavy run based attack.

I don't like the sound of that.......it's very 1990's and muting to Josh Allen's LOUD skills...........the modern approach to boosting young QB's is to load up on matchup winning receiving targets like the Rams, Eagles, Bears, Chiefs...........who ALL then took young QB's to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

If he doesn't play like Alvin Kamara or Kareem Hunt........other recent 3rd round picks...........then they probably should've just waited.

That may seem lofty but "good" RB production is not hard to find.   Singletary is the only RB I mocked to the Bills.......I thought he *could* surprise and be a top rotational RB....... but I wasn't touching a RB until late 4th round at the EARLIEST in this draft. 

I'd even have taken my chances not drafting one this year and having my choice of UDFA's because of the perceived vacancy for a "young" RB on the roster.   

If you believe Albright it seems like the Bills have the QB development process a bit backwards..........he said they want to try to ease Josh Allen along with a heavy run based attack.

I don't like the sound of that.......it's very 1990's and muting to Josh Allen's LOUD skills...........the modern approach to boosting young QB's is to load up on matchup winning receiving targets like the Rams, Eagles, Bears, Chiefs...........who ALL then took young QB's to the playoffs.

Yup.  The bar for a 3rd rb should be really high.  It’s such an easy position to find.  

Tarik Cohen went late 4th. 

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Oliver and Ford are homerun picks, IMO.  

Where they open themselves up to scrutiny is in the 3rd Round.   They draft a RB, who lacks measurables, and give up both 4ths for a TE who is solely measurables.  

I think it’s fair to question those picks, especially given the uncertainty of our WR unit.  

Replace Singletary with a WR, and I don’t think anyone bats an eyelash at Knox and his insane potential.  .....but the Singletary pick, even with his LeSean McCoy comps, has a lot of people with a bad 3rd Round taste in their mouth.  That bad taste, I think carried over to Knox, because in a vacuum, I’m starting to love the Knox pick.  

Everyone should be loving the Knox pick.  That's a good value at the end of the 3rd.  Bills obviously liked him because they brought him in and went to his pro day.  

One player on D, albeit he's a good one, 3 players on O.

Time will tell If the players pan out, but the Buffalo Bills are clearly trying to do everything in their power to surround and support Buffalo's greatest asset.

The QB...

I also think the fact that he is a former quarterback helps. Receivers who are former quarterbacks, like Edelman, Hines Ward, Trey Burton, Travis Kelce, Jordan Reed and to a lesser extent David Sills, are just smarter playe because they look at coverages and make pre snap adjustments the same way a quarterback does. They put themselves in the best position for their QBs becuase they understand where they need to be. They aren't just big dumbasses who can run fast....but you do need some of those as well. 

• Like (+1) 1