LeSean McCoy on the trading block?

I think I say this in every Shady thread..,

How about we wait and see how he goes in camp and the preseason and then make a call?

I don’t really think a trade is an option.., his salary is too bloated so the decision will be whether they cut him or whether they pay him $6M..

I don’t see how you can make the call now..

21 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Doubt anyone is trading for him now...

If he is traded at all, it will be after people get a look at him in the pre season...

But if he looks good, then why would the Bills trade him?

Well, that's the right time to trade him isn't it? If he were looking bad, none would offer anything. I think he is still perceived as a valuable commodity, just not one worthy of a high pick.Maybe packaged with a couple picks to move up into the lower rounds?

Shady's value to Buffalo is worth more now than what they can get in return.

Do not sell at a loss, unless there is a clear cut improvement waiting, or deal being made.

No offense to Gore, Yeldon or Murphy but McCoy is still the best back in the room.

Don't create holes when you have cap room to spare and the team has many holes to fill.

He has one year left to play out at 30-31, and then all parties leave having honored their requirements.

RB will be a clear need in next year's draft. Meanwhile build the OL and DL.

DL is deep. TE is deep.

Try to grab one of these terrific DL and a stud TE to help your young QB.

Edited by RocCityRoller

On 4/23/2019 at 4:29 PM, folz said:

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but your grandpappy was wrong ?

(to take it to an extreme) is your honor and integrity for sale? Is someone's loyalty for sale? Are your children for sale? Some things are not negotiable.

Shady will be a Bill in 2019.

As to the 30-year old RB wall, yes, it is legitimate. RBs on average do significantly decline starting at age 28 for normal backs and around 30 for elite backs. But, averages are just that. It means there are exceptions to those averages, otherwise the averages would be even lower.

Since 1990, 31 RBs have had a 1,000 yard season over the age of 30. So, on average, at least one 30-plus-year old RB each season has a 1,000 yard year. AP did it last year at 33 years old. Frank Gore did it in 2016 at age 33 (and followed it up in 2017 with 961 yards at age 34). Tiki Barber had his two best seasons as a pro at age 30 and 31 (going for 1860 and 1662 yards respectively). Our own Fred Jackson had 1,277 yards from scrimmage at age 32 and 1,027 yards from scrimmage at age 33. Emmitt Smith had 937 yards and 9 TDs at age 35. 

All I'm saying is that to claim Shady is done with no evidence besides his age seems ridiculous. Our line stunk last year. Our backs were consistently met 2-3 yards in the backfield all season long. The only reason Ivory looked better at times is because he is a plow ahead runner. So, he took what was available. Shady on the other hand was always trying to make something happen, but when the entire line is breaking down, there is no where to go. So, you can blame him for trying to make too much happen last year and not just taking the meager gains that were there, but I saw no evidence that he lost a step. When he did get to the open field, he didn't look slow, he hadn't lost his juke moves. If Ivory was the better back, then why is he gone and Shady still here? If the O-line wasn't the problem, then why did they just completely overhaul it? And that is not even to mention our QB situation. Every team we faced for at least the first 8-10 games stacked the box because they knew we didn't have a passing game. To lay all of that at Shady's feet seems to be lacking a full picture of what was going on.

Plus the reason so many backs slow down at that age (28-30) is not just because they get slower, but because of the serious pounding that workhorse backs take over the years. The body starts to break down overall. And as has been said many a times, Shady is a back who has avoided a lot of that heavy pounding due to his running style. He hasn't taken the big shots over the years, pounding into the line over and over. I just see no evidence that he is done yet.

Plus, having Gore and Yeldon should keep all three backs fresh. Shady won't be asked to be the lone workhorse. They don't need him to have a 1,600 yard season. How about 1,000 for Shady; 600 for Gore; and 400 for Yeldon, or something like that. Provided the line comes together, I think Shady will have a very productive year and our running game will creep back into the top 5 in the league.

Top 10 rushing seasons by a 30+ RB

Player Yr. Age Team Yds.
Tiki Barber '05 30 NYG 1,860
Curtis Martin '04 31 NYJ 1,697
Walter Payton '84 30 CHI 1,684
Tiki Barber '06 31 NYG 1,662
Corey Dillon '04 30 NWE 1,635
Walter Payton '85 31 CHI 1,551
Barry Sanders '98 30 DET 1,491
Priest Holmes '03 30 KAN 1,420
Warrick Dunn '05 30 ATL 1,416
Thomas Jones '09 31 NYJ 1,402

My Grandfather knew children weren’t for sale, sort of a no brainer. As far as all that loyalty, integrity stuff goes many a man has made a deal with many a devil. You don’t live in a glass house do you?

1 hour ago, iinii said:

My Grandfather knew children weren’t for sale, sort of a no brainer. As far as all that loyalty, integrity stuff goes many a man has made a deal with many a devil. You don’t live in a glass house do you?

Sorry iinii, I didn't mean to come off so righteous...and it was kind of meant tongue in cheek, at least the part about your grandfather. I'm sure he was a good man.