Bills 2019 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills are taking D.K. Metcalf, says SI’s Gary Gramling

HOUSE

Just now, Cornette's Commentary said:

1.) The run defense was not fine.  Did you watch the Colts game where Marlon Mack ran wild, or the Jags game where Fournette gashed the defense, until he lost his mind and got ejected?

2.) So, you want them to wait until the 5th to 7th round to pick up some "project" DE that they hope can turn into the next Khalil Mack?  Who might that player be, if I may ask?

Most teams have a couple games they get gashed on the ground. The run D should improve with Phillips and Edmunds in year 2. There are also some good rotational DTs in round 2 and 3 that would help.

Maxx Crosby in the 4th would be my ideal pick for addressing the pass rush. He is one of the most athletic DEs in the entire class. It also wouldn’t surprise me is Beane traded a 2020 2nd round for Clowney or Clark (which I would much prefer over a dlineman at 9, especially with Bosa and Allen off the board). 

There are better ways ways to address defence than using the number 9 pick. There is only one elite offensive skill player in this draft and that is Metcalf imo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

A lot of posters apparently into abs.  Now let's be logical and get a stud OT and a defensive lineman in the first two rounds.  If we trade down, throw in a tight end.

No, we're into a 6'3" 230lb WR with a high catch radius, 40" vertical leap and a 4.3 40 yd. Stud OTs and DLs can be had in the later rounds. There are a variety of examples of this. Not so much a DK Metcalf type player

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

Watch Brett kollmans video

That's his entire career routes

A curl and slant cab be short and intermediate.

Screenshot_20190417-125128_opt.jpg

Nice,  but it says 2015 route percentages. That’s not his career. And again, I don’t blame the Lions for having him run nines to clear out coverages. But that’s not the same as saying he COULDN’T run quick cut routes and, as I’ve said, it was his complete route running versatility that made the nines that much more effective, not just his speed and size. I actually just read an article from a Lions insider in 2008 that says one of the reasons Marinelli fired Martz and went to Jim Colletto was because he wanted to use Johnson more on shorter passes vs. so many long routes in order to get the ball in his hands quicker to make plays. It would be good to see a route breakdown like the one above from when Colleto called the plays. 

36 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Bucky Brooks disagrees. Pay close attention to the bold text. Comparisons of Metcalf to Calvin Johnson coming out are absurd. But if that’s what people need to reassure themselves about Metcalf’s question marks coming out, so be it. 

I'm sorry, but when have Bucky Brooks ever been right? 

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

You like mediocre defenses, don't you?

18 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Where did we finish in sacks?  How was the run defense?

If the Bills were building a team circa 1985 then yeah, I'd think more defense with their first pick given their off-season acquisitions. 

Then again, if McCoach is the defensive guru some believe him to be, then he needs to get by with what he's got.  They spent the better part of the past 2017 and 2018 off-seasons building McCoach's defense.  If it needs more picks, then it comes at the expense of the offense.

Teams win with offense and should focus on having enough defense.  That's the NFL of 2019.  Besides, a rookie isn't likely to improve them next season.   

Edited by BillsVet

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

Most teams have a couple games they get gashed on the ground. The run D should improve with Phillips and Edmunds in year 2. There are also some good rotational DTs in round 2 and 3 that would help.

Maxx Crosby in the 4th would be my ideal pick for addressing the pass rush. He is one of the most athletic DEs in the entire class. It also wouldn’t surprise me is Beane traded a 2020 2nd round for Clowney or Clark (which I would much prefer over a dlineman at 9, especially with Bosa and Allen off the board). 

There are better ways ways to address defence than using the number 9 pick. There is only one elite offensive skill player in this draft and that is Metcalf imo.

What good will it to do to have DK Metcalf (or TJ Hockenson) on the roster, if he and Allen are constantly sitting on the sidelines, because the defense can't get off the field?

Just now, Cornette's Commentary said:

What good will it to do to have DK Metcalf (or TJ Hockenson) on the roster, if he and Allen are constantly sitting on the sidelines, because the defense can't get off the field?

You ask a lot of questions, Socrates.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, the skycap said:

No, we're into a 6'3" 230lb WR with a high catch radius, 40" vertical leap and a 4.3 40 yd. Stud OTs and DLs can be had in the later rounds. There are a variety of examples of this. Not so much a DK Metcalf type player

To be fair, Chris Conley, one of DK's closes comparables, was a 3rd round pick.

13 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

Well...I could really care less what anyone says...I'll trust my eyes anyday...I watched every single play of Pat Mahomes College career, told everyone who would listen he should go #1 overall..Many, many, many NFL scouts and pundits disagreed with me...Who cares? I trust what I see...

What I see with DK is not something you are ever going to gather by looking at a stat sheet or route chart...He's a Red Shirt Soph...He had to push his way into a STACKED Depth chart...He had to play a role with average to less QB play...And yes he got hurt...

But on the field just watch the kid and what he can do already at this VERY early time in his development...He EATS the cushion in what seems like 2 steps...He is REAL physical but has the potential to be more physical with seasoning...He has the type of physical package to be the best Run blocking WR in the league..He can be nasty when he want to be...He does not make the same mistake twice...He understands how to use his body and set up CB's even this early...He'll get WAY better at it...And physically he, like Edwards and Allen last year, is not only top of his class but in elite company in the entire league...Plus the kid is a real hard worker and a good citizen...

There are plenty of ways it could go wrong with DK, but football people do not think that way as much as many think...They look at the upside and say "we can get him there." I don't think the Megatron comparisons are really that out-of-line, though I totally understand Johnson was a better prospect coming out...But their College careers were apples to oranges...And there's no telling what DK could have done in a different situation or Offense...

Are you under the impression that I somehow don’t like Metcalf as a prospect? Well, I do. 

What i don’t agree with are the comparisons to Calvin Johnson and the suggestion that Johnson was somehow limited in his route running ability so we shouldn’t be concerned about that in Metcalf. 

Other than size and speed, there are no comparisons to Johnson coming out of college. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

There's almost no correlation between points scored and time of possession.  The Chiefs lead the NFL in scoring in 2018, and were 26th in TOP/game.

Atlanta and Indy both finished in the bottom half of the league in TOP/game, but scored in the top 1/3.

By contrast, Baltimore and Philly were the top 2 teams in TOP, but finished 13th and 18th in scoring, respectively.

Also, you may not know (or care) but the 2018 Bills actually finished with a positive TOP/game.  They ranked 16th.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Well...You seem to be assuming the #3 Defense in the league last year and the #2 passing D is going to have some kind of massive drop-off because they lost a DT who was definitely a good player, but well past his prime...Despite adding some REAL nice depth at CB already as well...And 9 picks after #9 to help fill the holes...

Yes the Bills need to upgrade their D-line...But they are not building for 2019 alone in this Draft...They are trying to build a Championship calibre team...And you don't do that by passing better players for need...If the player and need line up...Then great...So...If Bosa or Williams slide and they still take DK, I think you'll have a legit point...

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, the skycap said:

There's a lot of posters on this board who think that DK Metcalf became a draft prospect when that pic came out and all he is is a chiseled body and a great combine performance... Which is sad, because the reality, for those who were paying attention, is that Metcalf has been one of -- if not the -- top WR prospects for the past couple years. 

It's funny, you can provide all the + arguments for him in the world and they make no impact, but any reference to "injuries" (which none of us can argue against because we have no idea how those checked out, not to mention the fact that logic would suggest he'd be off the board if his health didn't check out ?) or "route tree!!!" ignoring the fact that he compares physically and in tape review to guys like Calvin Johnson and Nuke Hopkins is all it takes to "win" the argument...

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Are you under the impression that I somehow don’t like Metcalf as a prospect? Well, I do. 

What i don’t agree with are the comparisons to Calvin Johnson and the suggestion that Johnson was somehow limited in his route running ability so we shouldn’t be concerned about that in Metcalf. 

Other than size and speed, there are no comparisons to Johnson coming out of college. 

I see what you're saying...I don't disagree...All I'm saying is that put in the same position the comparisons could be more legit, but it's impossible to compare because of DK's path to the NFL...

But I would be more than happy to concede that DK should never be compared to Megatron, who may very well have been my 2nd favorite prospect ever (behind Mahomes), if Bills fans would simply concede DK is a real, legit possibility at #9...?

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

He was right about Calvin Johnson. That’s for sure.

Fair enough...

But so was just about everyone with at least one working eye...?

Sorry...I had to...?

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Nice,  but it says 2015 route percentages. That’s not his career. And again, I don’t blame the Lions for having him run nines to clear out coverages. But that’s not the same as saying he COULDN’T run quick cut routes and, as I’ve said, it was his complete route running versatility that made the nines that much more effective, not just his speed and size. I actually just read an article from a Lions insider in 2008 that says one of the reasons Marinelli fired Martz and went to Jim Colletto was because he wanted to use Johnson more on shorter passes vs. so many long routes in order to get the ball in his hands quicker to make plays. It would be good to see a route breakdown like the one above from when Colleto called the plays. 

He was not great at the other routes other than what was on that tree.

I'm not saying he couldn't run them at all, but he didn't need to because he did the other things so well.

That's what DK is.

Maximize his elite skills and ignore what he can't do because you don't need those things.

I agree with wanting to see more route breakdowns