Bills 2019 NFL Draft: Buffalo Bills are taking D.K. Metcalf, says SI’s Gary Gramling

3 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

Did not read back on all pages to see if anyone actually listened to the pod...But I took the time this afternoon to do exactly that...

First part that was interesting...They actually mocked DK to the Giants at #6...Part of that was due to Benoit suggesting WR for pretty much EVERY team from #1 overall on (and I'm not kidding...He really did not know a ton about DK...It was more about his perceived team needs...But good grief...)...I think Gramling just got tired of hearing him suggest WR for every team and finally allowed DK to be mocked to NY at #6...

Anyway...When he got to the Bills pick Gramling stopped...Stated very matter of fact the Bills are going to take DK..."That's all...that's all I want to say"..."It's not only about the need"...He cited the Jonathan Jones SI article (Benoit comments that there is a Carolina connection to Jones...Ex Charlotte Observer writer) and says DK is "this reserved, devoutly religious guy, and he very much fits into that culture they have there..."

I obviously have no idea...But it certainly sounded like Gramling knew/was told something...I listened to the mock from 1-9 and the Bills are the only team he made that type of statement about...?

Let’s just hope he’s available at 9.  I’m afraid he won’t be.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Let’s just hope he’s available at 9.  I’m afraid he won’t be.

Well...

I've pretty much kept it to myself...1) Because I generally don't like the idea...and...2) Because I don't want to be flamed to death...?...But if they can get away with only giving up a 3rd, or preferably a 4th, don't be surprised if they go up a few spots to get him...Assuming he's really the guy they covet...And I know that is a BIG assumption...But there is at least some smoke out there that a couple teams are so desperate to trade down the cost is dropping...

I'm not in favor of this necessarily...Just saying I would not be surprised at all...?

5 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

Well...

I've pretty much kept it to myself...1) Because I generally don't like the idea...and...2) Because I don't want to be flamed to death...?...But if they can get away with only giving up a 3rd, or preferably a 4th, don't be surprised if they go up a few spots to get him...Assuming he's really the guy they covet...And I know that is a BIG assumption...But there is at least some smoke out there that a couple teams are so desperate to trade down the cost is dropping...

I'm not in favor of this necessarily...Just saying I would not be surprised at all...?

Now that would really surprise me, but a few of the teams in front of us are WR-needy (especially the Jets), so I’m not at all sure he’ll be there at 9.  There just aren’t any other weapons like him this year.

Edited by mannc

i know i'm delusional, but if i had to bet money on whether or not they picked dk at 9, i would say to my delusional self....self, they got a crapton of linemen, all with some starting experience. they also grabbed enough experienced receivers to fill out a roster.  however, they didn't fill the hole left by kyle.

therefore, through much delusional contemplation, i would put my money on another position  picked at 9.

edit: however, i trust these guys and will 100% support whatever decision they make.

Edited by billsredneck1

8 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

I'm going to say something for Metcalf that is similar to what I said in the Brian Burns thread:

If Metcalf is the pick at 9, he'd better have AT LEAST 1,000 receiving yards and AT LEAST 15 TDs by the end of the season to justify his selection.

Look, I get that hyperbole can be useful to make a point at times, but you've gone noodles on this one.

At least 15 TDs? That would've lead the entire NFL last year.

I don't think DK is a top 10 pick either, but if he is, 1,000 yards and 6-8 TDs as a rookie would certainly justify the selection. I mean, Watkins did that in year 2 and was looking every bit a WR1 before the foot injury.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Look, I get that hyperbole can be useful to make a point at times, but you've gone noodles on this one.

At least 15 TDs? That would've lead the entire NFL last year.

I don't think DK is a top 10 pick either, but if he is, 1,000 yards and 6-8 TDs as a rookie would certainly justify the selection. I mean, Watkins did that in year 2 and was looking every bit a WR1 before the foot injury.

700 yds and 6-8 TDs as a rookie would have him in ROY conversations.

11 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

I'm going to say something for Metcalf that is similar to what I said in the Brian Burns thread:

If Metcalf is the pick at 9, he'd better have AT LEAST 1,000 receiving yards and AT LEAST 15 TDs by the end of the season to justify his selection.

Calvin Johnson didn’t even have those numbers his rookie year. That’s like saying Ed Oliver would have to have 15 sacks to justify his selection.

On 4/17/2019 at 8:04 AM, SouthNYfan said:

Zero chance huh?

That's a pretty obtuse and ignorant statement.

Foster, while promising, hasn't proven himself.

He has just as much garbage games as good ones.

Beasley is a b+ slot guy, great pickup, but not a OMG BEST WR EVER

Brown has been inconsistent at best in his career.

Zay Jones is wildly inconsistent.

Nobody can cover our guys?

This is one of the most honer-filled posts I've seen here in a long time.

Put down the koolaid bro.

Def a homer statement on my part.  But I watch a lot of offensive film.  I dont always know what routes are supposed to be run, but I do know separation when I see it, and we have four guys that do it very well.

Foster had elite numbers from week 10 on, and Zay was only inconsistent his rookie year dude.   Last year he made a big step in reliability and had huge plays for us. 

Josh doesnt need another WR, he needs pass protection, a run game, and a TE.

22 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Josh doesn't need another WR, he needs pass protection, a run game, and a TE.

Well...This may sound weird, but if the Bills do pick DK I really don't think it's going to be about what they need at all, nor do I think it should be...

It's going to be about picking a WR they see as the next big thing...A guy who will be a Top 5 NFL WR for many years to come once he learns the Offense, and gets a year or two under his belt...I know that can be debated ad nauseum...But that's why they would do it...

There's no way the Bills make this pick (DK) at #9 with 2019 in mind...He's only a redshirt Soph...Those who point to his lack of College production are not completely wrong...He's nowhere near a finished product...If the Bills pick Metcalf it's because they see him as a dominate #1 WR in the future...A player, like Josh and Tremaine last year, who is a top tier natural athlete with elite size/speed...

It's massive gamble...Kind of like #17...But if it pays off...Oh my...?

Edited by KOKBILLS
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, KOKBILLS said:

Well...This may sounds weird, but if the Bills do pick DK I really don't think it's going to be about what they need at all, nor do I think it should be...

It's going to be about picking a WR they see as the next big thing...A guy who will be a Top 5 NFL WR for many years to come once he learns the Offense, and gets a year or two under his belt...I know that can be debated ad nauseum...But that's why they would do it...

There's no way the Bills make this pick (DK) at #9 with 2019 in mind...He's only a redshirt Soph...Those who point to his lack of College production are not completely wrong...He's nowhere near a finished product...If the Bills pick Metcalf it's because they see him as a dominate #1 WR in the future...A player, like Josh and Tremaine last year, who is a top tier natural athlete with elite size/speed...

It's massive gamble...Kind of like #17...But if it pays off...Oh my...?

He won't make it past Green Bay. Look for a trade with Cincy.

DK Metcalf does absolutely nothing for me...weak route runner, weak hands, serious injury history...he is the opposite of versatile, the opposite of nuanced “Hulk smash!”...i see a faster version of Kelvin Benjamin and when you only run 3 routes and have zero short area separation it’s kind of hard to catch more than 2 passes a game in the NFL...if I were the Bills I would take him off my board completely...I sincerely hope they stay as far away from this guy as possible...of course, I could be wrong- but that’s just how I feel.

Edited by JaCrispy

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

DK Metcalf does absolutely nothing for me...weak route runner, weak hands, serious injury history...if I were the Bills I would take him off my board completely...I sincerely hope they stay as far away from this guy as possible...of course, I could be wrong- but that’s just how I feel.

Google DK Metcalf scouting report. First thing I see from each person at the draft network:

Route Running –Shows very good footwork at the line of scrimmage to defeat press coverage and create false steps. Does well to bend back across the face of leveraged defenders on vertical stems. Explosive through breaks and create separation.  -Crabbs

Routes - Wins routes early with dynamic hand and footwork in his release. Knows how to work his route stem to manipulate the corner, establish leverage and sell his breaks. Hasn't be tasked with running an overly expansive route tree but the traits are present to be an outstanding route-runner and separator in the NFL. Rare acceleration for his size and springs explosively out of his breaks. Understands where zone coverage is soft and adjusts. Alters his tempo effectively.

-Marino

Route-Running - Let's talk about what is his fault: Metcalf needs to show better attention to detail in his patterns at times, breaking his routes off more exactly, showing a better awareness of the sideline and being more efficient with his footwork. Outside of his control however, is an Ole Miss offense that asked him to predominantly run hitches, curls, comebacks and nine routes, operating only on a vertical plane that made things very simple for defensive backs who had done their tape study. How Metcalf managed his production is a testament to his other-worldly talent in a scheme that didn't make things easy on him.

-Ledyard

Route Running – Metcalf aligned almost exclusively on the outside of the offensive formation to the left-hand side. Playing out there in the SEC, he faced plenty of press or bump coverages. However, Metcalf had a ton of success with his press coverage releases. With footwork that can be a blur for his size, he would re-set the line of scrimmage and discard the jam with violent hands. Metcalf takes full advantage of his strength and length combination while facing press. With an arsenal of hand swipes and proper anticipation, he dominates the contact window. Extremely physical route runner at the top of his stems when he has to be, clearing space with violence. Consistently worked downhill towards the quarterback when necessary.

Metcalf showed acceleration after beating press coverage or on vertical cuts. Mostly operating on the vertical plane, he understands how to threaten side to side before continuing down the field. Makes a conscious effort to stack defensive backs right after his route breaks.

Metcalf has technique issues that limit his speed on curl and comeback breaks. He’ll rarely take the least amount of steps necessarily, needing to pause at the top of his route for a moment. Metcalf was rarely asked to run in-breaking routes in the Rebels offense, but there are enough examples on his film to suggest moderate success in that area moving forward.-Kelly

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

At #9? Is that a joke? If they ever went after a receiver again in the top 10 with multiple question marks, it would have to lead to the firing of the GM within a year.

Mike Williams (LAC), Amari Cooper, Corey Davis (to a certain extent), Mike Evans, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Michael Crabtree, Calvin Johnson, Ted Ginn, Braylon Edwards... 

It's almost as if drafting a wr in the top 10 isn't an automatic curse to said wr...

hmm...

giphy.gif

Edited by glazeduck
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/17/2019 at 6:23 AM, Binghamton Beast said:

The Bills will be taking Oliver, if he is on the board, at 9 overall. There should be no doubt in anyones mind about that.

God I hope NOT !!!