It Was A Lot More Fun When We Weren't So PC

I just ran across some of the old "Roasts" that included the old icons of show business. Besides getting a good sense of the camaraderie between them it was apparent that they genuinely liked each other and could bust each other's balls without the recriminations that would happen today. The physical touching and good natured ethnic ribbing was not something that you'd even imagine in 2019. Watch a couple of these episodes at the link and ask yourself if we are better off now.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Thanks for trying to hijack this thread and make it into something that it isn't. If I wanted to embarrass you I'd ask you if this was the White House Correspondents Dinner in which Obama told Trump he'd never be President. I'd rather not hijack my own thread though. Kindly keep to the spirit and subject of the OP.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Thanks for trying to hijack this thread and make it into something that it isn't. If I wanted to embarrass you I'd ask you if this was the White House Correspondents Dinner in which Obama told Trump he'd never be President. I'd rather not hijack my own thread though. Kindly keep to the spirit and subject of the OP.

Exactly! No shi... Sherlock.  Stop being so PC and butt hurt.

tenor.png

Much... Put me on ignore Snowflake.

• Haha (+1) 1

Eric, maybe I didn't do a good enough job presenting this thread as something different than just a political attack. Or maybe you're just a stupid *****, unable to stay away from your partisan hatchet jobs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Eric, maybe I didn't do a good enough job presenting this thread as something different than just a political attack. Or maybe you're just a stupid *****, unable to stay away from your partisan hatchet jobs.

Maybe you should have put it on “off the wall?” 

And not one word needs to be bleeped.  Could you imagine that today?  Not one F bomb. 

I cooked for a lot of those in that bit over the years and they were a tough crowd.  I worked at Nicky Blair's on Sunset in the mid 80's and Frank came in.  Nicky was all excited and when the order came in I was about to expedite it to the staff.  Nicky came over and asked to see the order. He started changing the order??  WFT Nicky?!?!  You don't change Frank's oder!  Frank may have been "the Boss" but Nicky signed my checks so I made the changes.  Later that evening Nicky came in to the kitchen like someone stole his puppy. I asked what was up. He told me he want to Frank and asked him how it was and Frank said "it sucked Nicky, it sucked!"  No *****. 

I have a million of these stories. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

And not one word needs to be bleeped.  Could you imagine that today?  Not one F bomb. 

I cooked for a lot of those in that bit over the years and they were a tough crowd.  I worked at Nicky Blair's on Sunset in the mid 80's and Frank came in.  Nicky was all excited and when the order came in I was about to expedite it to the staff.  Nicky came over and asked to see the order. He started changing the order??  WFT Nicky?!?!  You don't change Frank's oder!  Frank may have been "the Boss" but Nicky signed my checks so I made the changes.  Later that evening Nicky came in to the kitchen like someone stole his puppy. I asked what was up. He told me he want to Frank and asked him how it was and Frank said "it sucked Nicky, it sucked!"  No *****. 

I have a million of these stories. 

What really struck me also was the amount of true stars on the dais. They were generally my parents entertainers but I do remember them well. They were all very talented and yes, they didn't have to force the humor by saying f**k every other word.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

4 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

What really struck me also was the amount of true stars on the dais. They were generally my parents entertainers but I do remember them well. They were all very talented and yes, they didn't have to force the humor by saying f**k every other word.  

And people understood the difference between ethnic humor and racism in those days, too. Can you imagine the reaction if Don Rickles, Buddy Hackett, or Richard Pryor did shows on any college campus nowadays?

:lol:

5 hours ago, Azalin said:

And people understood the difference between ethnic humor and racism in those days, too. Can you imagine the reaction if Don Rickles, Buddy Hackett, or Richard Pryor did shows on any college campus nowadays?

There'd be riots. And this is called "progress."

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Azalin said:

The frustrating part is it's a tiny group of people that ruin it for everybody else.  

• Like (+1) 5

13 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

I just ran across some of the old "Roasts" that included the old icons of show business. Besides getting a good sense of the camaraderie between them it was apparent that they genuinely liked each other and could bust each other's balls without the recriminations that would happen today. The physical touching and good natured ethnic ribbing was not something that you'd even imagine in 2019. Watch a couple of these episodes at the link and ask yourself if we are better off now.

We are totally better off now. Sexual assault is taken seriously, gays need not fear open persecution, blacks are moving into the middle class, education has expanded as has trade with other nations. And that video was not funny. And its funny you believe the public persona that they all loved each other. How do you know that in private they didn't? 

And the smoking??? Thank god that's been addressed and most educated, informed people wouldn't even think of smoking cigarettes 

11 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

We are totally better off now. Sexual assault is taken seriously, gays need not fear open persecution, blacks are moving into the middle class, education has expanded as has trade with other nations. And that video was not funny. And its funny you believe the public persona that they all loved each other. How do you know that in private they didn't? 

And the smoking??? Thank god that's been addressed and most educated, informed people wouldn't even think of smoking cigarettes 

Yes, smoking sucks. As far as everything else goes, I could post that water is wet and you'd argue against it. The one thing we've determined here is that you have no sense of humor.

10 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Yes, smoking sucks. As far as everything else goes, I could post that water is wet and you'd argue against it. The one thing we've determined here is that you have no sense of humor.

A sense of humor is very subjective. Don't you know that? 

14 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The reason he would argue against water being wet is exactly because he has a sense of humor.

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I'm waiting for some company with balls to issue a statement regarding one of these complaints of racism that goes something like this 

From the Desk of the CEO:

I would like to take the time to respond to the accusations of racism by the company I founded over 30 years ago.  To those of you that think this is racist? 

Get a life. 

Sincerely,

Money McMoneybags

CEO

He's not PC!! YES!! Oh please! 

Former Alabama Supreme Court Justice Roy Moore leads the field of potential Republicans vying for the chance to challenge Sen. Doug Jones (D), a year and a half after Moore lost what was supposed to be an easy election in a deep red state.

A new poll shows Moore leading a still-evolving field of Alabama Republicans vying for the nomination. He is the top choice of 27 percent of Alabama Republican voters, according to the Mason-Dixon Polling & Strategy Inc. survey.

The state’s three Republican members of Congress finish well behind Moore: Rep. Mo Brooks (R) would take 18 percent, Rep. Bradley Byrne (R) clocks in at 13 percent, and Rep. Gary Palmer (R) would take 11 percent.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/439063-poll-roy-moore-leading-alabama-gop-field

You know, I miss Obama for the whole cop killing stuff.

This Trump Twitter stuff is getting boring... I miss the black people shooting it out with the cops. Much better news shows.

Can we bring Obama back for a couple of months?

Edited by Paulus