TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - Complete

Virgil

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The 5th year option is huge, but winning a super bowl when the window is open is so much more important.  Drafting for the future after ending their season the way they did is questionable.  

Jmo

edit: much of this has to do with my view of Lock.  He’s aight.  Don’t love him.

Fair enough. I factored that in, for sure. 

A large part of it for me was the absurd value of a guy like Lock falling all the way to 28th. I had every intention of filling an immediate need, but I couldn't get over the value of a guy like Lock dropping to 28. While the window is definitely wide open for the Chargers right now, the fact remains that they're a young team, they're in a new market where they're already having trouble attracting fans, and they cannot afford a prolonged period of QB purgatory after Rivers retires. And how much longer is Rivers really going to play? The commutes from San Diego to LA are going to wear on him. Plus he has around 57 children that he needs to care for. 

In the end, I had to weigh the short term help of a safety or guard against the long term help of a potential franchise QB and successor to Philip Rivers. Long term future won out. I have faith that the guys I already have in the building will get me back into the playoffs this year. I can find a safety and guard in rounds 2 and 3. Furthermore, I think the Chargers are weighing this in real life, as well, given that they've now had private workouts/interviews with both Drew Lock and Daniel Jones, both of whom are unlikely to be there when the Chargers pick in the 2nd round.

I understand your perspective, though, and wrestled with it myself. 

Edited by Logic

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

Fair enough. I factored that in, for sure. 

A large part of it for me was the absurd value of a guy like Lock falling all the way to 28th. I had every intention of filling an immediate need, but I couldn't get over the value of a guy like Lock dropping to 28. While the window is definitely wide open for the Chargers right now, the fact remains that they're a young team, they're in a new market where they're already having trouble attracting fans, and they cannot afford a prolonged period of QB purgatory after Rivers retires. And how much longer is Rivers really going to play? The commutes from San Diego to LA are going to wear on him. Plus he has around 57 children that he needs to care for. 

In the end, I had to weigh the short term help of a safety or guard against the long term help of a potential franchise QB and successor to Philip Rivers. Long term future won out. I have faith that the guys I already have in the building will get me back into the playoffs this year. I can find a safety and guard in rounds 2 and 3. Furthermore, I think the Chargers are weighing this in real life, as well, given that they've now had private workouts/interviews with both Drew Lock and Daniel Jones, both of whom are unlikely to be there when the Chargers pick in the 2nd round.

I understand your perspective, though, and wrestled with it myself. 

What’s another year without a super bowl? 

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Despite the Antonio Brown pickup, we at Patrick Starfish's Las Vegas-ish NFL Circus Sideshow feel we have a need for more weapons for the offense. The fact that both Fant and Hock are taken, and the "best" WR is off the board, we feel we need someone opposite Brown, so we'll pick N'Keal Harry, WR, ASU.

@Virgil and the cheesesteak-eating urban mullets, er I mean the Eagles, are now on the board.

No disrespect bud, but did you forget Raiders also signed Tyrell?  After spending a gazillion dollars on 2 WR's this offseason already, I think is practically 0% chance they will draft a WR in the first 2 days of this draft.  They have so many big holes on D, TE, etc, just can't see them taking a WR

Edited by Alphadawg7

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect bud, but did you forget Raiders also signed Tyrell?  After spending a gazillion dollars on 2 WR's this offseason already, I think is practically 0% chance they will draft a WR in the first 2 days of this draft.  They have so many big holes on D, TE, etc, just can't see them taking a WR

Quality TE were both gone, drafted DT with first pick.  Harry is a big slot guy could be used like a YE. Also, we're the raiders, we don't answer to you.

• Haha (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Quality TE were both gone, drafted DT with first pick.  Harry is a big slot guy could be used like a YE. Also, we're the raiders, we don't answer to you.

And Tyrell Williams sucks..... so there is that.

• Like (+1) 2

So the Chiefs have two major needs CB and C.  Looking at the CB left on the board none wow me and it is very easy to get a decent one in later rounds.  But rght now we have the top choice in Center which we need to solidify our title run. 

Because of that the Chiefs select Erik McCoy, C/G, Texas A&M

He impressed at the combine with his speed and had great interviews.  Most have him going early 2nd but we want to make sure he is ours for the next 5 years.

@aristocrat and the Green Bay Packers are on the clock.

1 minute ago, Mr Wild said:

So the Chiefs have two major needs CB and C.  Looking at the CB left on the board none wow me and it is very easy to get a decent one in later rounds.  But rght now we have the top choice in Center which we need to solidify our title run. 

Because of that the Chiefs select Erik McCoy, C/G, Texas A&M

He impressed at the combine with his speed and had great interviews.  Most have him going early 2nd but we want to make sure he is ours for the next 5 years.

@aristocrat and the Green Bay Packers are on the clock.

Interesting pick. You'd go McCoy over Bradbury?

Packers will continue to go offense and go with aj brown, wr, ole miss.  

Defense was considered and  will be built on in the second and third round but giving Rodgers weapons to combat the nfc north defenses is a priority.

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Packers will continue to go offense and go with aj brown, wr, ole miss.  

Defense was considered and  will be built on in the second and third round but giving Rodgers weapons to combat the nfc north defenses is a priority.

Love this pick. That is my current mock draft pick too.... Let Randall Cobb walk? Here is your new Randall Cobb. Depends how much the offense changes under LeFleur, obviously, but I suspect Brown is the kind of smooth, reliable, consistent target that Rodgers would love.

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Only two to go....

@Bakin is up

Sorry forgot to mention that guy

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Love this pick. That is my current mock draft pick too.... Let Randall Cobb walk? Here is your new Randall Cobb. Depends how much the offense changes under LeFleur, obviously, but I suspect Brown is the kind of smooth, reliable, consistent target that Rodgers would love.

Absolutely agree.

How many rounds are we doing?

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Just one for this exercise I think.

Correct. I want to do overall at least 3. The next one will take some time with trades. 

Then we will do a 3 round

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Interesting pick. You'd go McCoy over Bradbury?

I looked at them both.  But McCoy is a better pass protector then Bradbury.  I just have a feeling that McCoy will end up with a higher ceiling then Bradbury

26 minutes ago, Mr Wild said:

I looked at them both.  But McCoy is a better pass protector then Bradbury.  I just have a feeling that McCoy will end up with a higher ceiling then Bradbury

I think McCoy's physical potential is higher. Bradbury is a smart technician with a high football IQ who I think will quickly be one of the leaders of his team. It is a bit pay your money and take your choice.