Bad football (and other sports) marketing and associated ideas

The thread over in TSW re: Jets uniforms got me thinking, what genius took credit for the Whammy Weenie?  It was a Bells promotion, ultimately approved by their brass, but what mulyuk figured it was a ‘good’ idea?  Any others from college or pro come to your minds?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

10 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The thread over in TSW re: Jets uniforms got me thinking, what genius took credit for the Whammy Weenie?  It was a Bells promotion, ultimately approved by their brass, but what mulyuk figured it was a ‘good’ idea?  Any others from college or pro come to your minds?

Apparenyly, the president of Bells...

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forgottenbflofeatures/whammyweenie.html

E57E4839-222D-47D9-AE75-2571E8AAAE51.jpeg

13 minutes ago, The Senator said:

Apparenyly, the president of Bells...

http://www.forgottenbuffalo.com/forgottenbflofeatures/whammyweenie.html

E57E4839-222D-47D9-AE75-2571E8AAAE51.jpeg

An excellent article by Steve Cichon, thanks for linking to it.  I wonder if whoever dreamed up the idea actually thought Mr. Barcelona would approve it.  I draw parallels to the WKRP episode where they came up with the funeral home jingle.

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Maybe it was the creation of someone who whammies his weenie a few times to many.  I have no recollection of this thing.

I believe they lasted only a few games before being discontinued.  It was discovered that the noisemaking pellets inside the things were made of lead.

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

I believe they lasted only a few games before being discontinued.  It was discovered that the noisemaking pellets inside the things were made of lead.

Two comments:

—If it lasts more than four games, consult a doctor.

—After discontinuing, the geniuses should have changed the design and made it into the whammy weenie whistle.

And an afterthought:  too bad Tom Brady didn’t play when these were rolled out.

Edited by snafu

15 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The Toronto fiasco

Blue astro turf (Boise State)...actually all astro turf.

The BCS

Many of the rules that try to make football safe starting with in the grasp from the 80's. Want to prevent head injuries? go back to leather helmets with no face guard.

Few non-football - The decision (hour special culminating with LeBron's decision on where he would play.

Designated hitter

Possession arrow.

Know there are a few "rules" in the list but they were all marketing decisions as well.

Not football, but sports marketing so related.

The Sabres while heading into the 8th of a 10 year run of not getting past the 1st round chose for their 20th anniversary season slogan "Celebrate the Tradition."  Yes, let's celebrate the traditional lack of playoff success.  Like the Guinness commercial used to say, BRILLIANT!

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Why was this a problem, were people fellating them in exchange for OJ Simpson jerseys in the parking lot?

If I had to guess, I’d say that children were putting them in their mouths, which they’ll do with just about any toy that fits.

Lead is kind of dangerous if swallowed.

On 4/6/2019 at 4:41 PM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

What could possibly go wrong with Disco Demolition night at Comiskey Park?

Or 10-cent beer night in Cleveland?