Most underrated RB

Tcali

I'll start with a few here for various reasons.

1.Freeman McNeil--fast  RB with great moves.--But so often injured.Tremendous talent.

2.Wendell Tyler-explosive runner .Bill Walsh couldnt stand fumbling--and Tyler did that not much but occasionally.

3.Fred Jackson--How stupid was it that this guy didnt come into the NFL til he was 27?..While not spectacular he was fast, powerful,fundamentally sound(always found the holes and always fell forward for yardage),and great blocker.

Edited by Tcali
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

Curtis is so underrated that he’s in the Hall of Fame.  What more recognition do you think he deserves?

You rarely hear his name when discussing the top 10 or 20 RB's of all time.  Ten straight 1,000 yard seasons is ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Old days:  Larry Brown, starred on George Allen’s Redskins in the early 70s.

More recent:  Priest Holmes, undrafted free agent, but was one of the best backs in the league for three or four years.  Could do it all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You rarely hear his name when discussing the top 10 or 20 RB's of all time.  Ten straight 1,000 yard seasons is ridiculous.

He was a helluva RB.Powerful and hit the hole in a split second.

btw--great selections so far

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tcali said:

He was a helluva RB.Powerful and hit the hole in a split second.

Even though he wasn’t big, Martin always moved the pile and picked up positive yards.  I would actually take him over Barry Sanders if I was starting a team.

25 minutes ago, Tcali said:

I'll start with a few here for various reasons.

1.Freeman McNeil--fast  RB with great moves.--But so often injured.Tremendous talent.

2.Wendell Tyler-explosive runner .Bill Walsh couldnt stand fumbling--and Tyler did that not much but occasionally.

3.Fred Jackson--How stupid was it that this guy didnt come into the NFL til he was 27?..While not spectacular he was fast, powerful,fundamentally sound(always found the holes and always fell forward for yardage),and great blocker.

You a UCLA alum?

Just now, mannc said:

You a UCLA alum?

actually no.and was always more of a usc fan than ucla. But the 3 guys i mentioned always had a certain black cloud over them.McNeal because of the injuries.Jackson cuz of the crap franchise he played for and the late start. And Tyler cuz Walsh Freaked out about mistakes /fumbles.

2 minutes ago, Tcali said:

actually no.and was always more of a usc fan than ucla. But the 3 guys i mentioned always had a certain black cloud over them.McNeal because of the injuries.Jackson cuz of the crap franchise he played for and the late start. And Tyler cuz Walsh Freaked out about mistakes /fumbles.

I don’t remember Freeman being hurt a lot. I just remember he was really tough to bring down.

Just now, mannc said:

I don’t remember Freeman being hurt a lot. I just remember he was really tough to bring down.

4 minutes ago, mannc said:

in his prime yrs he averaged about 10 games per season. he was wracked with injuries. Nothing to completely keep him out..But enough to take him out of the discussion for the greatest lists.at least with Sayers you had some full seasons before his leg was mangled.

Jerome Bettis is another back who is in the Hall but never gets mentioned in the pantheon of greats like Sanders, Emmitt, Gayle, Walter, Dickenson, Brown but his numbers are right there with all of them and that guy was just a fun back to watch play.  For a man that big and powerful he was incredibly nimble.  I always liked watching the Bus.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Jerome Bettis is another back who is in the Hall but never gets mentioned in the pantheon of greats like Sanders, Emmitt, Gayle, Walter, Dickenson, Brown but his numbers are right there with all of them and that guy was just a fun back to watch play.  For a man that big and powerful he was incredibly nimble.  I always liked watching the Bus.

and in his earlier years he had great speed

• Like (+1) 1