Cold & Flu Remedies

Just curious what the combined wisdom of Bills fans out there is in battling a run of the mill cold symptoms or even the flu--any home remedies passed down from the generations before that you'd like to share, or are there any you're come up with on your own? I may or may not choose to utilize some of the suggestions so tried and true remedies only please ;) . I don't love going to the dr. for a simple cold, so would prefer to ride it out naturally if possible.

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Just curious what the combined wisdom of Bills fans out there is in battling a run of the mill cold symptoms or even the flu--any home remedies passed down from the generations before that you'd like to share, or are there any you're come up with on your own? I may or may not choose to utilize some of the suggestions so tried and true remedies only please ;) . I don't love going to the dr. for a simple cold, so would prefer to ride it out naturally if possible.

I've been talking pseudoephedrine hydrochloride....you have to be 21 and produce photo I'd for a purchase because it's a ingredient in street meth.Cleans up my sinus..doesn't help my cough much.

Mucinex max is pretty good..

• Thank you (+1) 1

If you treat  a cold, it goes away in about 7 days.

If you don't treat it, it takes a week.

I take Sudafed to reduce the symptoms (sneezy, runny nose). My wife gets aches and coughs too, so she takes one of the multi-symptom OTC meds.

We both take echinacea, vitamin C, and zinc when symptoms start. The science on that is sketchy at best, but it doesn't hurt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I almost never go to a doctor for a cold. I've always just rode them out.

A few years ago I was turned on to Cold-Eeze (zinc?). I start taking them when I start feeling cold symptoms coming on and it seems to shortens the duration and lessens the severity. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, WhoTom said:

I take Sudafed to reduce the symptoms (sneezy, runny nose). My wife gets aches and coughs too, so she takes one of the multi-symptom OTC meds.

We both take echinacea, vitamin C, and zinc when symptoms start. The science on that is sketchy at best, but it doesn't hurt.

That’s pretty much the key, thanks!

• Like (+1) 2

if you have flu, it's well worth taking tamiflu, (if it's in the first 48 hours).  

otherwise you just have to ride it out.  delsym is one of the few things that works for me for a cough.  i like dayquil as well, but it all just masks the symptoms until it's gone.  

last year i had the flu for a week, then it turned into pneumonia.  compared to the flu, i felt great with pneumonia.  the only problem was i was short of breath, and exhausted super easily.  i had to take antibiotic and an inhaler at that point.  sometimes an hour visit to an urgent care will save you days of misery.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Lol 7 days is a week, so what's the difference. Damed if you do and damed if you don't kind of thing huh?

Drink enough water until you pee clear at least twice a day, ideally once in the afternoon and once in the evening. Let your body do its thing. And then when you get better just keep doing that.

Come back and thank me in year when you realize how you don't get sick as often or as severely. It's much easier to prevent a cold/flu than to beat one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, CoachT said:

Drink enough water until you pee clear at least twice a day, ideally once in the afternoon and once in the evening. Let your body do its thing. And then when you get better just keep doing that.

Come back and thank me in year when you realize how you don't get sick as often or as severely. It's much easier to prevent a cold/flu than to beat one. 

You’ve got a deal 

18 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Lol 7 days is a week, so what's the difference. Damed if you do and damed if you don't kind of thing huh?

The issue is being able to at least breathe well enough through the stuffiness to actually get decent sleep, and control the coughing that stems from the nasal drainage (I know, tmi) 

35 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

That's the joke - there's no cure, so all you can do is treat the symptoms.

Which Dame did I win?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

If you treat  a cold, it goes away in about 

Sudafed formulations with Pseudoepedrine rather than Phenylephrine?

The science on echinacea is solid...It is no better than a placebo. It is safe but spending $ on something with no benefit.

Here is one study by the NIH:

https://nccih.nih.gov/research/results/spotlight/122010.

Here is another study. What is inteteresting is that subjects that believed in echinacea and surmised they were taking it recovered from the cold faster even if they did not receive it (double blind study). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21747102/

It is the placebo effect.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Info said:

Sudafed formulations with Pseudoepedrine rather than Phenylephrine?

The first one - original Sudafed with pseudoephedrine. As someone else noted, you have to show your ID and have your name entered into a national database of Sudafed users. (I'm not sure if I have to go around the neighborhood and warn the neighbors that a Sudafed user lives nearby.)