Report: Bills were 'furious' about Jets' 2018 trade-up for Sam Darnold

HOUSE

One more thing: All of this '18 draft talk reminds me that on the day of the draft last year, I read on Twitter from a reputable source that the Bills were contacting people close to Josh Rosen in the days leading up the draft, making sure they knew how to get the most out of him as a player, how to relate to him as a person, etc. 

Seeing that the Bills feared the Jets' trade-up might cost them Josh Allen, and seeing that Rosen was 4th on their board, I'm thinking that they DID in fact think there was a chance they could miss out on all three of their top guys (Allen, Darnold, Mayfield). They WERE preparing for the possibility that they'd be left with Rosen and wanted to make sure, in the event that that happened, that they could make it work. 

All very interesting in retrospect.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mark Long Beach said:

Yeah, definitely inflammatory title.    Did it worry the Bills?  Yeah, I'm sure that it did.   I believe that they've even admitted that last years draft worried them until they had the QB in hand (They knew they needed a QB).   Not only that, I think it's pretty clear (backed up by the picture) that they were planning on trading with Denver and that it would cost them AT LEAST the #22 pick.  The picture claims 7-22-53 which sounds believable to move to 5.   

Im pretty sure Beane has confirmed after the draft that this trade was in place with Denver to move up to 5, but only if Denver's "guy" wasn't there...

Turns out that Chubb was still there and Denver took him...

The Colts at 6 weren't willing to trade down again, so it was a case of "Hello Tampa Bay, we have some second round picks for you.."

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

One more thing: All of this '18 draft talk reminds me that on the day of the draft last year, I read on Twitter from a reputable source that the Bills were contacting people close to Josh Rosen in the days leading up the draft, making sure they knew how to get the most out of him as a player, how to relate to him as a person, etc. 

Seeing that the Bills feared the Jets' trade-up might cost them Josh Allen, and seeing that Rosen was 4th on their board, I'm thinking that they DID in fact think there was a chance they could miss out on all three of their top guys (Allen, Darnold, Mayfield). They WERE preparing for the possibility that they'd be left with Rosen and wanted to make sure, in the event that that happened, that they could make it work. 

All very interesting in retrospect.

This reminds me of the old game “If you could attend any sporting event....” People usually start with a Super Bowl, or the Masters, maybe game 7 of the World Series. (I kind of cheat and make it a travel question with Wimbledon, French Open, Australian, etc, but I digress.)

I think my answer today would be to sit in the Bills draft room one year, and see what really happened, how it went down and why. What could be more awesome???

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Im pretty sure Beane has confirmed after the draft that this trade was in place with Denver to move up to 5, but only if Denver's "guy" wasn't there...

Turns out that Chubb was still there and Denver took him...

The Colts at 6 weren't willing to trade down again, so it was a case of "Hello Tampa Bay, we have some second round picks for you.."

Yes this was all publicly discussed by Beane and he said Denver wanted Chubb and deal fell out when Chubb was there at 5.  

Thank god, because we got both Edmunds and Allen because Chubb slid to 5.  

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

This reminds me of the old game “If you could attend any sporting event....” People usually start with a Super Bowl, or the Masters, maybe game 7 of the World Series. (I kind of cheat and make it a travel question with Wimbledon, French Open, Australian, etc, but I digress.)

I think my answer today would be to sit in the Bills draft room one year, and see what really happened, how it went down and why. What could be more awesome???

Just about every event you listed above before asking that question HA.

Draft would be awesome to be in the war room, but its also a lot more boring than you think, especially compared to the other events you mentioned.  Lots of long lull in there 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yes this was all publicly discussed by Beane and he said Denver wanted Chubb and deal fell out when Chubb was there at 5.  

Thank god, because we got both Edmunds and Allen because Chubb slid to 5.  

Just about every event you listed above before asking that question HA.

Draft would be awesome to be in the war room, but its also a lot more boring than you think, especially compared to the other events you mentioned.  Lots of long lull in there 

I’ve been to a SB and the Masters, and baseball bores me to tears. Probably why I listed them. I realize there’s a lot of downtime in a draft room, but that would be something I’d LOVE to do once, see the real board and how it all goes down. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t think they ever even met with Lamar. He said that they did at the combine but there was no record of them doing so. 

Wait! Are you saying there might be a smokescreen during draft season??? Oh my! 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This times 10000000000

You can tell there are many posters in here literally replying to a thread title and did not read the article.  They are commenting and taking this as if it suggests the Bills were mad they didnt get Darnold which is not at all what this article was about.  

Sadly, this is way too common on TSW where people start arguing based on their incorrect assumption about it a thread solely based on a thread title.  

..good call 'Dawg......a draft day hissy fit because your target got picked?...seriously?.....do we then pout when a UFA visits and jilts us at the altar?......these are big boys runnin' the show....

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve been to a SB and the Masters, and baseball bores me to tears. Probably why I listed them. I realized there’s a lot of downtime in a draft room, but that would be something I’d LOVE to do once, see the real board and how it all goes down. 

Oh for sure, I know I would love it...but I haven't been to a SB, so that and some of those others would be higher choice for me ha.  Jealous, what SB did you go to?  Was it one or more than one?

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh for sure, I know I would love it...but I haven't been to a SB, so that and some of those others would be higher choice for me ha.  Jealous, what SB did you go to?  Was it one or more than one?

We went to Bills/Redskins in Minneapolis. Great city, but much better in the summer! It was single digits most of the time.  And of course losing sucks.  I’d only go again if the Bills were in it, and of course we all know how that’s been going....

The Masters is ridiculous! Television does not begin to convey the topography. Super cool! Tennis is my sport to play, and I’ve been to some big Tournamements like the Miami Open (as it’s now called), but it sucks in a 20,000 person stadium. Better to watch practice on the side courts. Having said that, I’d still say Wimbledon or the French Open if someone posed this question to me.

56 minutes ago, Logic said:

FAR too many people in this thread have either ignored or disregarded the Benjamin Albright post stating that Allen was the Bills' target from wire to wire last year.

I believe Albright. He was insistent all last draft season that Allen was the guy from day 1. The picture of the leaked white board baked this up. Also, how did I miss this white board last offseason? I obsessively read about the Bills and their QB quest every single day, but I somehow missed this.

ALSO...why do people actively try to sabotage the team for which they work? Why would this moron post this picture? What does he have to gain? I hope he, and others like him, were found and fired. What a goon.

I also believe that Allen was their guy from the start and I also believe it was the Buffalo Bills that leaked Josh Allen's high school tweets so other teams would avoid the controversy. 

Now for the Furious question. Bills fans gotta remember what it was like leading up to the draft as Buffalo was sitting at the 12 spot and wanting one of the top four QBs. The majority of Bills fans on this board wanted the Bills to trade up with the NY Giants for that #2 spot to draft Josh Rosen. Most fans here wanted Beane to give up most of the 2018 picks and the 2019 first round pick to move up to the #2 spot!

Lucky for the Bills that the Giants were adamant about selecting RB Sequon Barkly (Dunno why) just as Denver was adamant about selecting Brady Chubb if he was there at the #4 spot. The Browns wanted too much for their spots and the Colts wanted OG Quinton Nelson if he was there so Tampa was the only realistic trade partner and the Bills were determined to get that #7 spot before the Cardinals.

So, I can see why the Bills FO might be furious with the Jets about that #3 spot and they were thinking the Jets would take Allen ahead of them. For whatever reason, the Jets will be the Jets and took Darnold. (the Tweets might have had something to do with it) I also think that Cleveland wanted Allen at some point and then Baker Mayfield at the end.

So happy things worked out the way they did. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

We went to Bills/Redskins in Minneapolis. Great city, but much better in the summer! It was single digits most of the time.  And of course losing sucks.  I’d only go again if the Bills were in it, and of course we all know how that’s been going....

The Masters is ridiculous! Television does not begin to convey the topography. Super cool! Tennis is my sport to play, and I’ve been to some big Tournamements like the Miami Open (as it’s now called), but it sucks in a 20,000 person stadium. Better to watch practice on the side courts. Having said that, I’d still say Wimbledon or the French Open if someone posed this question to me.

Nice!  Even more jealous it was a Bills SB even though that one wasn't very good ha.  

And yeah Golf is insane to attend.  You ever want to have one hell of a golf experience, go to the Phoenix Open!  300,000 people partying their a** off, just a freaking blast.  And yeah totally agree about Tennis.  Been to some decent size tournaments out here in LA, and its much better up close and the practice on the side courts are awesome!  

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

Wait! Are you saying there might be a smokescreen during draft season??? Oh my! 

Well it was Lamar who said he met with them at the combine. But there was a big thing about how they actually didn’t or something. It all seems so long ago now. Other than that, they showed zero interest in him. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

We went to Bills/Redskins in Minneapolis. Great city, but much better in the summer! It was single digits most of the time.  And of course, losing sucks.  I’d only go again if the Bills were in it, and of course, we all know how that’s been going...

I took the family to all four SBs as vacations and spent the week attending the card shows, NFL experience. Minneapolis shows were empty all week until the weekend. The ice sculpture was a nice touch out front though. Also went to the 1988 AFC Championship game in Cincy, 1989 playoff game in Cleveland. 

Like you, I'd only to go another SB if the Bills were in it!  It's starting to look like they just might be very soon. :P

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well it was Lamar who said he met with them at the combine. But there was a big thing about how they actually didn’t or something. It all seems so long ago now. Other than that, they showed zero interest in him. 

Everybody playing the same game! Teams, players, agents....

Happens every year. ’Tis the season!  ?

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

With his mom as his agent, it’s no surprise 

Oh my....I had forgotten about that! Did he mention he also had interest from the CFL....and the NHL? In demand, baby!