Report: Bills were 'furious' about Jets' 2018 trade-up for Sam Darnold

Image result for josh allen

The New York Jets made a franchise-defining move last year on St. Patrick’s Day. General manager Mike Maccagnan sent three second-round picks (two in 2018 and one in 2019) along with New York’s 2018 first-round pick to the Indianapolis Colts for the third-overall pick in last year’s draft.

As history would have it, the Jets selected USC quarterback Sam Darnold, who was the No. 1 target for New York entering the draft period, according to ESPN.

The aggressive move by Maccagnan essentially placed several quarterback-needy teams, including the Buffalo Bills, in panic mode to scramble and position themselves in a good spot to land one of the top-tier quarterbacks on their big boards. After all, there’s only a finite number of NFL-caliber quarterbacks in college.

In reviewing the trade a year later, ESPN highlighted that the Bills were not too happy with this move the Jets. Per the report, the Bills were “furious” about the move:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/18/buffalo-bills-furious-new-york-jets-2018-trade-nfl-draft-sam-darnold-josh-allen/

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1

Need more context for why were the Bills furious. Who on the Buffalo staff was furious? Did the Bills try to trade with the Colts already? I don’t think IF someone was furious it was because they wanted Darnold. I believe the Bills had Darnold and Allen ranked pretty equally, albeit for different reasons. This article doesn’t state, nor should it, that the Bills were furious because they wanted Darnold.

• Like (+1) 13

This might be the dumbest thing ever.

I think the Bills knew that the Jets wanted to trade up and the Bills were mad because of it?

Yeah ok. I don't buy it for one second.

Edited by njbuff
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think at the time most people thought Darnold would be the 1st pick. I suspect the Bills were furious because they saw a situation where Darnold went #1 and Allen went #3 and they were left with Mason Rudolph (I have reported on this site previously that a former coach in the league was told after the draft that the Bills did not have Mayfield and Rosen on their board). 

Once the Browns began to pivot towards Mayfield the draft tilted back towards Beane and co.... because Darnold and Allen were their guys. 

• Like (+1) 16
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't trust Pac10 QBs Rodgers is the only one I can think of recently who has had long success, Carson Palmer worked out too but not as well as Aaron. The rest have been Matt Barkley, Sanchize, Leinart, Rosen (jury is out) Mariota (looks like he is going to fizzle out) I'm sure I am missing a few but the Pac10 has been abysmal at sending pro ready qbs in the recent past. I am good with Josh Allen.  As I'm writing this I forgot about Luck he is obviously a franchise guy, and I also forgot about Goff who also seems legit.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Jeetz1231 said:

I don't trust Pac10 QBs Rodgers is the only one I can think of recently who has had long success, Carson Palmer worked out too but not as well as Aaron. The rest have been Matt Barkley, Sanchize, Leinart, Rosen (jury is out) Mariota (looks like he is going to fizzle out) I'm sure I am missing a few but the Pac10 has been abysmal at sending pro ready qbs in the recent past. I am good with Josh Allen.  As I'm writing this I forgot about Luck he is obviously a franchise guy, and I also forgot about Goff who also seems legit.

Rodgers is enough to make this point pointless

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

It really makes you wonder whether Allen truly was their #1 target from the start...or whether he was their #1 target when it appeared that Mayfield it Darnold would be off the board.  

It was Darnold and Allen.

If both were gone they'd have gone somewhere else with their first pick and selected Mason Rudolph with their second first rounder (or possibly moving up in the 2nd). 

If I remember correctly, there were hints from Beane that he was upset with Indy.  I think Beane may have had a trade in place with Indy, but Indy reneged.  That was just speculation.  However, in hindsight, I bet Beane is happy it worked out that way.  Josh Allen is the right QB for the Buffalo Bills.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Ben Allbright replied to that tweet yesterday with the Billswire article and said the reason they were furious had to do with their perceived ability to still get Allen, not Darnold (I cant get these tweets to embed for some reason). Allbright was in on the Bills interest in Allen the entire pre-draft period. 

https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/1107730433377214465?s=21

@allbrightNFL

They were furious, but that was because they thought it would cost them Allen, who was their guy wire to wire.

https://twitter.com/salsports/status/1107811882788888581?s=21

@salsports

I asked Beane specifically about the Jets trade just two weeks after it happened while at the NFL owners meetings.  You can watch/listen to his answer here ( :55 mark):

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/beane-our-focus-is-on-building-the-roster-20489992

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 7

57 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Need more context for why were the Bills furious. Who on the Buffalo staff was furious? Did the Bills try to trade with the Colts already? I don’t think IF someone was furious it was because they wanted Darnold. I believe the Bills had Darnold and Allen ranked pretty equally, albeit for different reasons. This article doesn’t state, nor should it, that the Bills were furious because they wanted Darnold.

Well, you won't get it from that article.

It quotes an ESPN article which says quote: " The Buffalo Bills, picking 12th, were said to be furious upon learning of the trade. In the end, they wound up trading up to No. 7 to select Allen. "

No source, no detail, and the weasel-words "said to be".  Nothing about who said what or why.

Keep in mind that at the time of the trade-up, it was not at all for sure that Darnold would be available at Pick #3.  It was thought that the Browns might select Darnold at #1, and it was also felt that the NYG would be foolish to not expend a pick on a Manning replacement at QB while they were drafting so high.

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

The New York Jets made a franchise-defining move last year on St. Patrick’s Day. General manager Mike Maccagnan sent three second-round picks (two in 2018 and one in 2019) along with New York’s 2018 first-round pick to the Indianapolis Colts for the third-overall pick in last year’s draft.

As history would have it, the Jets selected USC quarterback Sam Darnold, who was the No. 1 target for New York entering the draft period, according to ESPN.

The aggressive move by Maccagnan essentially placed several quarterback-needy teams, including the Buffalo Bills, in panic mode to scramble and position themselves in a good spot to land one of the top-tier quarterbacks on their big boards. After all, there’s only a finite number of NFL-caliber quarterbacks in college.

In reviewing the trade a year later, ESPN highlighted that the Bills were not too happy with this move the Jets. Per the report, the Bills were “furious” about the move:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/18/buffalo-bills-furious-new-york-jets-2018-trade-nfl-draft-sam-darnold-josh-allen/

Meaning no offense to you, HOUSE - "don't shoot the messenger" and all - but this is the kind of lazy journalism I dislike.  No source, quotes another article as source, other article quotes no source.

28 minutes ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

It really makes you wonder whether Allen truly was their #1 target from the start...or whether he was their #1 target when it appeared that Mayfield it Darnold would be off the board.  

I don't think the Bills were interested in Mayfield at all.

I was, but that and a quarter will get me a cup of milk when I buy it at the grocery store.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

This might be the dumbest thing ever.

I think the Bills knew that the Jets wanted to trade up and the Bills were mad because of it?

Yeah ok. I don't buy it for one second.

I’m sure the Bills were very upset -if that’s different from furious. I think they hoped or expected that everyone would keep their spots and we’d have a bevy of Draft picks while landing a can’t miss QB. When the Jets ‘Jets’d’, everyone else in the QB frenzy had to surrender hard earned choices (multiple 2nds, multiple 3rds) just to assure no team would sneak up and ruin it. 

We’ll likely never know if Darnold was #1 on our Board, but if it was Allen and Darnold was the Jets #1, then those idiots from jersey screwed up everybody’s hard earned capital -including their own, when they didn’t even have to.

I hate them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4