Happy St Patrick's Day!

Chef Jim

Whatcha all got on tap?  I'm skipping the corned beef and cabbage today.   I did buy a corned beef yesterday (two of them actually) but will be rubbing them with cracked black pepper and coriander and putting them in the smoker for some homemade pastrami.   

• Like (+1) 2

Two fake holidays in a row.

I haven't given dinner a second thought, but it won't be corned beef .... although I did by a pound of corned beef from the deli for sandwiches for work this week.

Making pastrami is on my list for this spring/summer.  @BringBackFergy made some last year that was phenomenal.

It seems like St Patrick’s day is getting to be bigger and bigger every year in terms of the parties, parades, and other such stuff. Maybe it’s because the weather is starting to change.  

My mother in law cooks corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, etc. and I eat my fill of it.  My wife doesn’t like it so she just nibbles and eats a potato or two.  

Visiting my in laws is a chore, but if the food is good it’s not too bad. My father in law has Fox News on 24/7 so he has to tell us how great Trump is whenever we see him. I try to disarm the conversation by saying I don’t like the policies of any of the politicians in the news these days, which is a true statement, but my wife is so anti Trump that she sometimes gets into screaming matches with him.  Good times. 

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Whatcha all got on tap?  I'm skipping the corned beef and cabbage today.   I did buy a corned beef yesterday (two of them actually) but will be rubbing them with cracked black pepper and coriander and putting them in the smoker for some homemade pastrami.   

Daughters first night home  for break..she loves duck, so we having duck!

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Pastrami just went in the Geen Egg. Looking to get a “box” smoker. Know anyone that wants a used Green Egg?  ?

why getting rid of the Egg? I prolly would not buy mine again, but would not get rid of it at this point. Still gets the job done for the most part

Edited by plenzmd1

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Daughters first night home  for break..she loves duck, so we having duck!

why getting rid of the Egg? I prolly would not buy mine again, but would not get rid of it at this point. Still gets the job done for the most part

Irs actually busting them on @Gugny

13 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Pastrami just went in the Geen Egg. Looking to get a “box” smoker. Know anyone that wants a used Green Egg?  ?

I'm finally getting a kamado tomorrow. Getting the one from Costco and using my rewards money. All in all it's about $300 out of pocket. Hard for me to justify $1600 for kamado joe or even a green egg since I'm a weekend warrior type of griller.

27 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

DON'T YOU DARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You're a mean man.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

It seems like St Patrick’s day is getting to be bigger and bigger every year in terms of the parties, parades, and other such stuff. Maybe it’s because the weather is starting to change.  

I haven’t been in decades, but Savannah, GA used to have CRAZY St Patrick’s Day/Weekend. It was HUGE and included a rugby tournament with teams from all over the country. My college buddies/teammates played in the tournament when I first met my wife. It was the ultimate test. I said “if you want out after meeting these guys, I’ll understand”. She’s usually a much better decision maker, but here we are 35 years later. 

We’ll just be having leftover beef shorts ribs from a nice gathering we had last night. Moving a bit slowly today, so leftovers it is....

On a side note, I got the short ribs from Whole Foods and while there I noticed they had mashed potatoes on the hot bar. Without really thinking I decided to skip a step and just get those. (I had some new stuff I was trying also, so it seemed fair to go simple.) I filled up my little tray with mashed potatoes and realized what I’d done when it rang up as $22 for about a dollars worth of potatoe if I’d just done it myself. Oops! DCTom has a name for people like me.....