TV anchor commits suicide after corrective eye surgery

SDS

When people ask me about this operation - this is the nightmare I refer to. The risks may indeed be "Rare". The question is if the quality of life improvement is worth that risk.

In one of her many video diaries, Starr expressed regret for having undergone the procedure.

“I’m really mad at myself for doing this,” she said. “I don’t know why. I was fine in contacts. Glasses weren’t that big of a deal. It was fine.”

https://people.com/tv/meteorologist-jessica-starr-suicide-family-speaks-out/

I saw this story a couple days ago and figured I’d see it here soon enough.  Pretty tragic.  

Count me among those who who will take the hassle of juggling multiple pairs of glasses over having someone shoot lasers into my eyes.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I saw this story a couple days ago and figured I’d see it here soon enough.  Pretty tragic.  

Count me among those who who will take the hassle of juggling multiple pairs of glasses over having someone shoot lasers into my eyes.

I've worn glasses for decades and will continue to do so.  I've never had a woman reject me over wearing glasses.  Anybody else I could not care less about.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

There are many people whose quality of life improvement is worth the risk to them. My guess is most people getting surgery though, is like the woman in the story. A person who doesn't like the inconvenience of contacts/glasses who wants to get a quick procedure done and grab the free toaster with the surgery. Those are the people who really need to think about what a failed surgery truly means and the consequences.

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

There are many people whose quality of life improvement is worth the risk to them. My guess is most people getting surgery though, is like the woman in the story. A person who doesn't like the inconvenience of contacts/glasses who wants to get a quick procedure done and grab the free toaster with the surgery. Those are the people who really need to think about what a failed surgery truly means and the consequences.

Yup.  I get it if you're legally blind and this can make a huge difference.  For me, switching to a pair of lower prescription glasses to use at the computer or to prescription sunglasses when out in the sun isn't a big deal so not worth the risk/cost.

14 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I've worn glasses for decades and will continue to do so.  I've never had a woman reject me over wearing glasses.  Anybody else I could not care less about.

Ahh, of that you can never be sure..many thousands of women may have dismissed you outright ...you just never know. I mean, look @mead107 , he wears glesses and thousnads of women rejected him in his single days.

47 minutes ago, SDS said:

When people ask me about this operation - this is the nightmare I refer to. The risks may indeed be "Rare". The question is if the quality of life improvement is worth that risk.

https://people.com/tv/meteorologist-jessica-starr-suicide-family-speaks-out/

I will always say it was the best $3K I ever spent, and that was in October of 2000, so almost 19 years ago. I mean there are risks with everything we do in life, many many of them we do just to have more fun or look better. According to the lineked article, complications are less than 1% of procedures. 

Not to make light of this, but she killed her self appx 8 weeks after surgery because she had dry eyes and was seeing starbursts? And she has two young children? That ain't adding up to a mentally stable person before the surgery in my mind's eye. This article/story on ABC is  designed for clicks and shock value in my opinion..weather person commits suicide doesn't  have quite the drawing card

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

@mead107

Not to make light of this, but she killed her self appx 8 weeks after surgery because she had dry eyes and was seeing starbursts? And she has two young children? That ain't adding up to a mentally stable person before the surgery in my mind's eye. This article/story on ABC is  designed for clicks and shock value in my opinion..weather person commits suicide doesn't  have quite the drawing card

I have to agree. You don't off yourself from this . Having dry eyes or irratation in your eyes. Anyone who's worn contacts for any length of time knows how dry and/or annoying they can be at times. Contacts have greatly improved over the years, but to this day, I still say one of the best feelings in the world is taking your contacts out at night. If this was legit, the suicide rate for people wearing contacts would be sky high 

Edited by Steptide

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I have to agree. You don't off yourself from. Having dry eyes or irratation in your eyes. Anyone who's worn contacts for any length of time knows how dry and/or annoying they can be at times. Contacts have greatly improved over the years, but to this day, I still say one of the best feelings in the world is taking your contacts out at night 

agreed...me thnkee just a prelude to big lawsuit

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Ahh, of that you can never be sure..many thousands of women may have dismissed you outright ...you just never know. I mean, look @mead107 , he wears glesses and thousnads of women rejected him in his single days.

I will always say it was the best $3K I ever spent, and that was in October of 2000, so almost 19 years ago. I mean there are risks with everything we do in life, many many of them we do just to have more fun or look better. According to the lineked article, complications are less than 1% of procedures. 

Do your eyes not continue to change? I do fine with contacts, but I’ve had to change the prescription a few times over the years. Even if LASIK gave you perfect vision right after surgery, does that not need adjustments in the years that follow? 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Do your eyes not continue to change? I do fine with contacts, but I’ve had to change the prescription a few times over the years. Even if LASIK gave you perfect vision right after surgery, does that not need adjustments in the years that follow? 

when I had it they said as you get older, you will still need reading glasses. Having said that,at 56  I am still fighting the good fight on that front and only use readers when using the Daily Racing Form @ the OTB. Outside of that, my vision is the same as the day I left the surgery center in 2000.

Now, when I reach your age , things will prolly change. But have a long time till I have to worry bout that

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

when I had it they said as you get older, you will still need reading glasses. Having said that,at 56  I am still fighting the good fight on that front and only use readers when using the Daily Racing Form @ the OTB. Outside of that, my vision is the same as the day I left the surgery center in 2000.

Now, when I reach your age , things will prolly change. But have a long time till I have to worry bout that

Take Millionaire Joe in the fifth at Aqueduct.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, plenzmd1 said:

You HOPE to reach my age one day! 

Just think of all the females in the world who had to find other reasons to look away from you for 19 years......just kidding. Not really much of a challenge there. 

My wife was actually thinking about the surgery until we recently met someone who had it done. She asked him about it and one eye was not very clear and it was bothering him. The surgery was recent, so hopefully that’s something that turns out fine for him, but it was enough to talk the wife out of the idea. We know other people who swear it’s the best thing ever, but I’m so accustomed to contacts (daily made a WORLD of difference!) that I’ll just keep up the routine. 

30 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

27 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I have to agree. You don't off yourself from this . Having dry eyes or irratation in your eyes. Anyone who's worn contacts for any length of time knows how dry and/or annoying they can be at times. Contacts have greatly improved over the years, but to this day, I still say one of the best feelings in the world is taking your contacts out at night. If this was legit, the suicide rate for people wearing contacts would be sky high 

These are two awful, dreadful takes. Do you know what the world needs less of? People behind keyboards questioning other people's pain. 

But you both are probably right - her dry eyes were probably exactly equivalent to your experiences with contacts. Exactly. No difference.  She must have been mentally ill. It's the only reasonable conclusion.

14 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Take Millionaire Joe in the fifth at Aqueduct.

well, you can ask several on here bout the night I talked em into betting a trotter named "Shady  McCoy" whilst i was at said OTB. And yes, they got all cranky cause he did not win but got 2nd. And picking a horse to finish 2nd (from last of course) is a great talent of mine!!!

@BringBackFergy and @mead107 still cry about their finances from that fiasco!

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

These are two awful, dreadful takes. Do you know what the world needs less of? People behind keyboards questioning other people's pain. 

But you both are probably right - her dry eyes were probably exactly equivalent to your experiences with contacts. Exactly. No difference.  She must have been mentally ill. It's the only reasonable conclusion.

you saying killing yourself when you have two small kids because your eyes hurt is a rational reaction to pain and some vision problems? I know you don't like Lasix, but to say she killed herself cause she had Lasik is pretty far afield no?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

you saying killing yourself when you have two small kids because your eyes hurt is a rational reaction to pain and some vision problems? I know you don't like Lasix, but to say she killed herself cause she had Lasik is pretty far afield no?

You are a terrible person!  All pain is worth offing yourself over and no one should ever get elective surgery.

Even though there was zero indication from the article shared that this woman's complications from surgery made her life a living hell we can assume as much because she killed herself and most people kill themselves for highly rational reasons.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, you can ask several on here bout the night I talked em into betting a trotter named "Shady  McCoy" whilst i was at said OTB. And yes, they got all cranky cause he did not win but got 2nd. And picking a horse to finish 2nd (from last of course) is a great talent of mine!!!

I said PLACE it on Lucky Dan!!!!!