TV anchor commits suicide after corrective eye surgery

SDS

9 years post-Lasik and it's one of the best decisions I ever made in my life, one side 20/25 and the other 20/40 (monovision)

the torture of PRK (old school) without opiates will never be forgotten though

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Only benefit of getting older is that for many of us "the beast" as it is known tends to ga way when we hit 45.Mine last a bit longer, but the last few years were not so bad. And, the only good thing about these things is they tend to occur at the same time every day, so i could plan my sales calls around them

By the time you are 90 you should be in perfect health in the nursing home ?

49 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Nah, while that’s getting better my allergies getting much worse as I age!

Is that why you are so cantankerous? :)

On a serious note are there drugs now that are helpful in alleviating the devastating headaches or something you can take when you feel them coming on? Or do people just have to ride the episodes out?  

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Maybe not,.. but most likely yes I lived twenty years of my life with much worse pain prolly. For about 5 months a year from 89-08, i would get cluster headaches. Also known as suicide headaches because people actually do commit suicide due to the pain. No medication for them back then, you just knew this poker going through your eye was coming, and their was nothing you could do about it  Nothing worse than your little kids being scared  poopless cause daddy is in the hallway banging his head on the floor trying to somehow relieve the pain( and that is a common response..why? no one .knows)

And that would be everyday, sometimes 4 rimes a day during bad clusters...where for 8-12 weeks at a time if my eye didnt feel like it was getting stabbed, my head hurt so bad from the residual pain felt like my whole head was in a vice.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/11/cluster-headaches-the-worst-possible-pain/281524/

if you really want to read a sad message board, go here

https://clusterbusters.org/forums/forum/4-general-board/

Never once thought of killing myself over it, especially when little ones started coming. I aint buying thhis lady killed herself over pain and Lasik...there were deeper issues there.

Now imagine having a single cluster headache constantly.  Not just "four times a day," but once a day...all day, every day.

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Now imagine having a single cluster headache constantly.  Not just "four times a day," but once a day...all day, every day.

couple things here.

1) If that was truly the case, take my freaking eyes out. Before I was accurately diagnosed with clusters, I would have gladly given up an eye to get rid of that pain. Yes, I would have had another..i get it, but I think most rational folks without some form of mental distress..be that depression or any other illness, would glady go blind before offing themselves with two small children in tow.

2) Do please point out in that article where it talks about the pain of"  hydrogen peroxide in her eye 24/7" This whIt i see in that article

She started to complain of incredibly dry eyes. She had almost no night vision. She had starbursts that she was seeing during the day and at night.”

Starr’s family said she contacted her surgeon and multiple eye doctors to get their opinions after the surgery. She also reached out to a therapist for help.

but did nothing apparently

evealing in a Nov. 13 video that she was “struggling a little bit” after taking four weeks off post-surgery. Asking viewers for tips and advice, she reported dimming vision and said she was “trying to stay strong.”

I see nothing in that article about life-altering, unbearable pain. Did i miss something?

My whole point here was to counter the argument that Lasix was somehow responsible for her death. 

23 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

when I had it they said as you get older, you will still need reading glasses. Having said that,at 56  I am still fighting the good fight on that front and only use readers when using the Daily Racing Form @ the OTB. Outside of that, my vision is the same as the day I left the surgery center in 2000.

bull####.  You're telling me that you used a flashlight to read bar menus when you were in your 30s?

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

dude, is a flashlight glasses? You have reading comprehension issues son?????

My reading comprehension is just fine; you said "outside of that (using reading glasses at the OTB), my vision is the same as the day I left the surgery center in 2000."  Is low light vision not part of "my vision?"

Write better, you old fart.  And work on that gumbo recipe while you're at it.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LeviF91 said:

My reading comprehension is just fine; you said "outside of that (using reading glasses at the OTB), my vision is the same as the day I left the surgery center in 2000."  Is low light vision not part of "my vision?"

Write better, you old fart.  And work on that gumbo recipe while you're at it.

I said I did not need readers..and outside the DRF, with proper lighting, I don't! 

BTW, bad day at the OTB yesterday..shoulda played numbers!!!!!

41 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

couple things here.

1) If that was truly the case, take my freaking eyes out. Before I was accurately diagnosed with clusters, I would have gladly given up an eye to get rid of that pain. Yes, I would have had another..i get it, but I think most rational folks without some form of mental distress..be that depression or any other illness, would glady go blind before offing themselves with two small children in tow.

2) Do please point out in that article where it talks about the pain of"  hydrogen peroxide in her eye 24/7" This whIt i see in that article

but did nothing apparently

I see nothing in that article about life-altering, unbearable pain. Did i miss something?

My whole point here was to counter the argument that Lasix was somehow responsible for her death. 

You missed where that's what "incredibly dry eyes" feels like.