Trump (the "Art of the Deal" guy) & Kim Jong Un cancel denuclearization talks early

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2924946002

Donald Trump, Kim Jong Un unable to strike deal, call off nuclear weapons talks early

"No agreement was reached at this time, but their respective teams look forward to meeting in the future," White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said.

"We’ll ultimately have a deal," Trump told reporters just a few hours before cutting off talks early, but he added that "doesn’t mean we’re doing it in one day, in one meeting."

"Speed is not that important to me," Trump said. "I appreciate no testing."

Kim, taking the unprecedented step of answering a western reporter's question, said "it's too early to say" whether there will be a deal, but "I would not say I’m pessimistic.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill.com/policy/defense/431957-trump-kim-summit-ending-early%3famp

Trump-Kim summit ending early

Trump and Kim were originally supposed to hold a working lunch that appears to have been canceled.

The two leaders were also scheduled to participate in ceremony to sign a joint agreement.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1QG2BZ

White House bars four reporters from Trump-Kim dinner

I hate being in PPP :doh:

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Deal can't happen officially until the China trade deal is done. That's the fly in the ointment - and shows how interconnected all these deals/negotiations really are. 

The entire global order is being changed before our eyes - all at once. 

Presser happening now: 

....I’ll bite. Why?

5 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I was listening to Gordon Chang on the radio last night. No bigger critic of China than him.

He was sounding almost dejected about the prospect of Trump (A) signing a fluffy deal with Kim, and (B) tuning around and not holding Beijing’s feet to the fire right after that.  Sounded like he bought into the pre-summit hype about Trump pushing out a bad deal just to show he’s making progress with Kim.  On the other hand, he was giddy about the prospect that the US would maybe be opening a liaison office with NKorea because that would completely cut China out of any future discussions and negotiations.  I have no idea if he’s right about that, and I doubt that China’s Influence would just go away if there were a liaison office set up.

• Like (+1) 1

This headline pretty much summarizes the NK talks (and the entirety of Trump's presidency so far)

Trump agreed to nothing with North Korea — and completely defied the experts

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

I never forget. Unless its where I put my keys. I forget where my keys are alllll the time. 

Up until about two months I use to too. I now always put my wallet and keys in the same place and force myself to do it. Best thing I ever did! 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Up until about two months I use to too. I now always put my wallet and keys in the same place and force myself to do it. Best thing I ever did! 

I’m supposed to do this. My wife, sick of finding my keys and wallet, has created a special place by the front door. I’m getting better, but she still has to find my sunglasses. I don’t roll without shades. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Somehow I believe you when you say that putting your wallet and keys in the same place is "the best thing you ever did.

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

China still has (a lot of) influence in the DPRK, and is using that as leverage against the US during the negotiations on trade. 

I agree on China’s influence but I’m not sure they’re connected that closely. 

10 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Let's put it into a football analogy.

Trump and Kim have only played a few games.

Yet, some like to point out that Trump hasn't won the Super Bowl.

Well, of course not, as the regular season isn't even over yet!

• Like (+1) 2